• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Naitsirk

Hi guys, i just bought my first EBMM guitar, a Luke 3 from 2013. The guitar plays like a dream, sounds amazing and of course it looks amazing. However when i use the trem it goes out of tune. For example, when i pull up on the bar for that Luke flutter the e and b string always go sharp. The guitar came set up with 10s and three springs in the back. The g string can be pulled up a half step. Will returning the guitar to factory setup (9s, two springs and 1 1/2 step as far i understand) help? Do you suspect its just a setup issue or is there a problem with the guitar (the intonation, action etc is perfect btw). Thank you so much in advance

Lucien2

My Luke 2 came to me set up like that; I returned it to factory spec and was much happier. That said, I already migrated from 10s to 9s a few years ago so for me it was about getting it to where I wanted it anyway.

Tuning stability is dependent on a lot of things. The first culprit tends to be the nut, but in your case, with the EB compensated nut, it is less likely. Assuming the nut is cut properly and NOT the culprit, I am having difficulty conjuring a scenario where those two go sharp always. I'd say get the thing set up the way YOU want and go from there. Heck, new strings might solve the problem one they're broken in.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hello and welcome to the forum family! Congratulations on your guitar!

Tuning issues like this are always a question of friction and that means lubrication is needed. When we bend strings, use the whammy bar, or even just strum hard, the strings move across the nut the saddles. If the strings can't return to their precise original position we'll have a tuning issue. Here are some articles I wrote a few years back which you may find useful.

Naitsirk

Thanks guys for the responses. I will definetly look in to your articles and solulutions. Looking forward to a hopefully smooth and stable trem!

Adder

Thanks guys for the responses. I will definetly look in to your articles and solulutions. Looking forward to a hopefully smooth and stable trem!
did you get this fixed. I notice my LukeIII is also pulling high after using the bar. ive got lube everywhere. probobly the worst guitar for tuning I have so far. I need a solution to this before I end up returning it.

racerx

did you get this fixed. I notice my LukeIII is also pulling high after using the bar. ive got lube everywhere. probobly the worst guitar for tuning I have so far. I need a solution to this before I end up returning it.
Have a tech take a look, maybe something else is up? The Luke 3 is my main player and I abuse the floating trem with solid tuning stability.

Naitsirk

I ended up returning the guitar and bought a used Sterling LK100D instead for a 1/5 of the price. The tuning stability on the Sterling has been perfect even with lots of abuse. It plays great, only difference in quality i notice is the slight volume difference in split positions on the humbucker. But yeah, guitar tech is probably the way to go if you dont want to return it. If you end up returning it i would definetly recommend a LK100D Sterling

Adder

Sadly I will be returning the Luke Back to MF. I just can’t feel good about having to take a Brand new $3.5, 1 week old guitar to a tech to fix.

dibart77

Adder, your report surprises me. I have 35 Luke IIIs and literally NONE of them have tuning issues when using the trem. I can understand why Naitsirk might have issues because the strings are higher gauge than the nut is cut for, but if you bought a new, stock LIII I am very surprised at the tuning issues.

Adder

Adder, your report surprises me. I have 35 Luke IIIs and literally NONE of them have tuning issues when using the trem. I can understand why Naitsirk might have issues because the strings are higher gauge than the nut is cut for, but if you bought a new, stock LIII I am very surprised at the tuning issues.
Yeah Nuts eh? So there maybe some stuff going on with this. I noticed when picking up out of the case for the first time there was a faint click. so there maybe some issue with the truss rod. also the strings looked worn in on the under side - may have been tampered with / bought and returned previously? Ive been on the phone with the EB techs who said its either the Nut, the Saddle or the Neck truss rod for starters (can't imagine it could be anything else..) but this is supposed to be a new guitar - so its going back. I personally think it may have been adjusted under full tension, messing with the pivot screws or the neck is faulty.
35 Lukes IIIs? so somethig tells me you might like them!! lol

Last edited:

dibart77

Yeah Nuts eh? So there maybe some stuff going on with this. I noticed when picking up out of the case for the first time there was a faint click. so there maybe some issue with the truss rod. also the strings looked worn in on the under side - may have been tampered with / bought and returned previously? Ive been on the phone with the EB techs who said its either the Nut, the Saddle or the Neck truss rod for starters (can't imagine it could be anything else..) but this is supposed to be a new guitar - so its going back. I personally think it may have been adjusted under full tension, messing with the pivot screws or the neck is faulty.

If they strings looked worn that's either a re-stock (which they should NOT sell as new). Or, as you may know, Musician's Friend is also Guitar Center... maybe it's one that was hanging in a store and people were playing it, etc. Was the guitar wrapped in a plastic bag in the case (how it shipped from the factory) when it arrived, or just the guitar without a plastic bag?

35 Lukes IIIs? so somethig tells me you might like them!! lol

LOL you should see how many EBMM Axis I have! In total I have exactly 220 EBMMs as of today. (I have issues).

Johnny Alien

There was a click when you picked it up?

I have a few Music Mans with the vintage trem and previously owned a Stingray with the newer trem. In all cases they have been the best trems I have used and the guitars were always in tune even with abuse. I agree that the OP's case was almost for sure related to going up a string size and the nut needing slotted properly for that.

Adder

There was a click when you picked it up?

I have a few Music Mans with the vintage trem and previously owned a Stingray with the newer trem. In all cases they have been the best trems I have used and the guitars were always in tune even with abuse. I agree that the OP's case was almost for sure related to going up a string size and the nut needing slotted properly for that.
Yes. wasnt sure what it was - string ribbing the the saddle or something but turns out not the case. Im super disappointed TBH. I will get another one for sure.

ruger9

If they strings looked worn that's either a re-stock (which they should NOT sell as new). Or, as you may know, Musician's Friend is also Guitar Center... maybe it's one that was hanging in a store and people were playing it, etc. Was the guitar wrapped in a plastic bag in the case (how it shipped from the factory) when it arrived, or just the guitar without a plastic bag?

LOL you should see how many EBMM Axis I have! In total I have exactly 220 EBMMs as of today. (I have issues).

You could feed a small country with the proceeds from that.

Adder

The Plastic bag was scrunched up in the box when I got it - not a good sign

Rbg

in case you are going with another example of the same guitar please consider that the next one may not have such an impressive grain figure.

Adder

in case you are going with another example of the same guitar please consider that the next one may not have such an impressive grain figure.
Don’t I know it. But what would you do? Keep a guitar that looks good but does not stay in tune? You might do that but I wouldn’t….

Last edited:

Rbg

it is hard to believe that there is something wrong with the instrument itself. As people say here these terms are quite stable. I would totally investigate more for smth simple. Maybe record a video and pot here?

Btw, not that long ago I bought a brand new L3 myself and had a lot of anxieties and ocd about many things on the instrument. My guitar imo has one of the best tops in the run so I decided to close eyes on some imperfections to keep the top. The tuning stability is a serious one if it is actually can not be sorted out.

ruger9

I agree that even tho it is likely an easy fix (a few minutes with a nut file would likely cure it), at this price point you shouldn't HAVE to.

I got a PRS DGT ($5K) this year, and it was perfect out of the box. I mean PERFECT. As any guitar should be at this price point.

The wood figuring is a concern, and if I were already in love with it, I would not send it back. My DGT is a "10 top", and I loved it at first sight... in my case, even tho it would bug me that a $3k+ guitar wasn't staying in tune, if I thought it wa the nut, I'd just fix it myself. (actually, in the case of PRS I could send it back to them, and they would fix THAT guitar under warranty... I have no idea how EBMM does that, or what the wait tike may be).

Top Bottom