• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JDguitar

I only own a MusicMan Sterling so far but want to get a MusicMan bass that will get me more of a P bass thump. Which MusicMan bass will come closest to that? Thanks.

rutgart

Go a Big Al. The most versatile Bass I've played (even tho I don't own one .... Yet :) with it's Passive or Active options in addition to the many pickup Config at a touch of a button and that incredibly comfortable J style Neck you'll not want for another Bass.

But that just my opinion, I'm positive other guys here will think of other options :)

Tollywood

My son's bass teacher said that the Big Al handles all the tones you'd want from a bass. He sold his basses and replaced them with one: a Big Al.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
Specifically, the Big Al SSS in passive, middle pickup absolutely nails it.

When I punch that up and start playing old R&B, I begin to channel Duck Dunn, complete with pipe and Jack Williams 'fro.

mm.jpg

JDguitar

Thanks guys. I'll have take a road trip to find a Big Al to test. Anybody know if the Sabre will get me anywhere near the P Bass thump. I love the look of those new Sabres.

rutgart

The Sabre with the Neck pickup a little farther away from the Neck gets closer to a P sound that the Reflex (the Ash body makes a difference here) but for my money the original Alder Body'd Big Al SSS is A1.

Buy again that's only my 2 cents worth of opinion :)

Movielife

Big Al.

If you want something slightly different, Bongo HH, neck pup, sounds very 'Iron Maiden' P bass like with the right fast finger triplets :)

But, in all honesty, Big Al. The most underestimated bass EBMM make...without a doubt.

laneline

Yup I agree, the BA SSS, especially in passive, I even think the BA H gets there also, and the H in Series/ Passive, forget about it, sick. My 25th HSS ( now Reflex) also is an option. I think the main parameter is having Passive ability. I wish they made every model in the line with Passive/ Active.

drTStingray

I'm sure the guys saying Big Al are right - I only ever played one once however.

For me, Classic 2 band with the mutes engaged and cobalt strings does it for me (recorded it really has that audible thump) - never tried flats on it, but I'm sure that will be even more realistic. Of course, you can just wind the mutes off and try and be Louis Johnson again with an awesome slap machine if you want! That's versatility in a bass, and you can leave all that space taken up by multiple instruments on stands to the guitarists ;) :D (our rythmn player turned up with three at our last gig!!).

The Classic Sabre may well get you in the ball park with it's neck pu position, single coil (front pick up) ability, mutes and 2 band EQ. I'm looking forward to trying one.....and ordering hopefully.

The SR4HH with the centre coils selected is good at this as well, especially if you use a mute.

Last edited:

Golem

Maybe I'm totally insane... but why not just get a P Bass? I think
the P Bass thump automatically comes with those basses.

Seems reasonable that should be the deal ... so I looked it up on
the F3nder site. The Thump must be an extra cost option. I didn't
see it listed as a standard feature.

BTW lemme confess to owning a P so I can make this suggestion:
Check out the USA P-Delux. As an addicted MM basser, I find that
the wide range [+/- 18db] active 3-band on the Delux makes the
Delux the only P I can enjoy. If I had a Std/Passive P it'd just live
under the bed [if I had a bed ... ]. My P is the prior version, so it
has a bridge humbugger, just like famberly, see .... but the new
P has some kinda humbugging jazz PU instead. HOWEVER !!! the
new/current P also has a passive mode [and IIRC a passive tone
pot] so it can mimic "The Real Thing" for all them F3nder Puristas.

Anywho, ain't no harm in having a P. Everbooty ought to consider
one, right after their 3rd or 7th MM ! Check my sig' ... I qualify :)

Last edited:

Lynottfan

I am not ashamed to admit nor will I ever be either, to owning a Fender Precision bass, its a great bass, does exactly what it says on the tin, but for what I play it's got to be Stingray, the finest off the rack bass in the world imho, so I to second the earlier poster, if it really is the P bass sound you want, buy a Pbass, all the other options are great but if thats the sound, get the real thing, then go and buy more EBmm's:D

JDguitar

Well, I'm not really crazy about the feel of a real P bass so I was hoping I can find something in the MusicMan line of basses.

Top Bottom