• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

lucsulla

Hello all. I purchased a used Silhouette Special off Reverb that gets in tomorrow, and while I've been waiting, I've been pouring through the forums trying to learn all I can about them. I've owned various Fenders, Gibsons, Hamers, Heritages, PRSs, G&Ls, Charvels, Jacksons, and a Shishkov over the years, but never an EBMM. I've always enjoyed the ones I've picked up and thought it would be fun to have one around to add to my ever-changing line-up of gigging guitars. Currently, I mostly play on Jacksons and Gibsons.

I had a quick question about the Silo Special. I see they were changing around the hardware a bit in the mid 90s, and as near as I can tell from the pictures, this one has a six point vibrato bridge but has Schaller locking tuners. From reading here, it seems they should be Grovers, but looking at the pics of the guitar, they definitely seem to be Schallers. The odd thing is that if these weren't factory, I would expect there to be so screw holes left from the Grover pattern, yet I don't see any. Is it possible that some were coming out of the factory in late 96 that still had the Wilkinson bridge but already had Schaller tuners? The serial checks out as the right model, year, and color, so I have no reason to believe anything nefarious is going down as far as how the seller is representing the guitar. But it does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

John C

Anythings possible - I supposed it's possible the original neck with Grover tuners was damaged and replaced under warranty by one with the Schaller tuners. That is something you could check out through the serial number. Like you I thought it was only Grover/Wilkinson, then only Schaller/EBMM 2-post.

klaveguitars

I have an Albert Lee from that era that came with a factory Wilkinson bridge and Schaller tuners, so it is possible they are stock.

John C

I have an Albert Lee from that era that came with a factory Wilkinson bridge and Schaller tuners, so it is possible they are stock.

That makes total sense that there would be a transition period where you could have both the Wilkinson bridge and the Schaller tuners (or vice versa) - it would depend on which part they ran out of first between the Grover tuners and the Wilkinson bridges.

lucsulla

I've got in my hands now. Lot of guitar for the money for sure! Seems the Schallers are factory.

It's got a covered bucker in the bridge, so I guess when I clean the thing up more, I'll see what it is. Sounds good though, but no idea if that was even a factory option.

GWDavis28

Welcome, Silo special are great guitars!!!!

But it doesn't exist without picture :D.

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

Lol! Good point!

attachment.php

Very nice congrats, but remember green guitars don't sell, hahahahaha.

Don't forget to add it to the Silo thread as well.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/66563-silo-6.html#post1061513

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Very nice congrats, but remember green guitars don't sell, hahahahaha.
I STILL regret not going for the Sparkle Green PDN run. I really miss the PDN runs. They weren't as off the wall as the BFR runs, and were definitely more economical.

One of these days, I will have a green guitar or bass.

lucsulla

OK, someone has to explain the inside green joke and the PDN thing. And how many guitar forums are you on, Tbone? haha

GWDavis28

OK, someone has to explain the inside green joke and the PDN thing. And how many guitar forums are you on, Tbone? haha

So the Green guitar this is something that Big Poppa (Sterling Ball) said years ago about how "Green guitars don't sell". But the Dargie Delight 1, was a great seller, it was like the pre-BFR.

There's another standing joke around here, when you see an awesome top, the comment is "OMG that top SUCKS!!!". EBMM made up some shirts years ago for a thing they had. I still have my shirt somewhere.

Welcome.

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

I STILL regret not going for the Sparkle Green PDN run. I really miss the PDN runs. They weren't as off the wall as the BFR runs, and were definitely more economical.

One of these days, I will have a green guitar or bass.

Tbone, I agree it was a great run, the same with the Cardinal red, I just never had the funds :( .

Glenn |B)

lucsulla

Nice one - congrats! Sounds like this is a "transition" piece with the Wilkinson trem and the Schaller tuners.

Let us know what the humbucker is when you get the chance to open it up.

Well finally had a gig 7 months later, which meant finally changing the strings, so finally looked. Guitar is total mutt underneath, but a quality mutt. DiMarzio HS-3 in the neck, Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy in the middle, and some kind of Gibson USA in the bridge. Resistance is 9.5K Ohms, which puts it close to a few things, but not on the dot of anything I can find. The active circuit has also been removed.

Weird combo, but it sounds great. I have no intention of messing with it all, but it was definitely unexpected.

Top Bottom