• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

beej

Nothing for ages ... then two guitars in two days! But I couldn't help myself when I saw the new Steve Morse- beside the sparkly burst, the roasted neck and SS frets put it over the top.

This one is awesome- sounds amazing out of the box. I'll eventually change up the switching, but not for a while. I'll just play it stock and soak up the new guitar smell :)

One thing I just noticed (on this and the LIII from yesterday) was the new tuners- they're smaller than the previous locking tuners. Interesting.

ACtC-3cjEC9xnNsXZzdMGc7yHhGMKygaBvhSddfuWGSNRs-LPwk_UklDlg3cXvcWcNXSyH-epWTDEX2NcMdMtpXG9z7fzSHAfyDJrl7jIqht4eYZFsBInJ4--3pfU_xNDMXfy_AX00CnAURs7wjKUEW0-XP7=w1294-h472-no

ACtC-3caWv5PeiouAfHPePGhCL3hdjDPPGDap0PvU5g1hgSq7lGaAcw7irsi7KoCJeRxNIQZOFag9CBLEVtmtUXHGojd0o6DYTGG7WUYV1BmEX9ynnTPmgJwHuFOb1p_9V46mxtmNylsgnKkHBw7RqGLlYCZ=w1294-h453-no

Here's a side-by-side with my '91. Man that new pickguard is shiny. I'll need sunglasses to play this thing. Also the fretboard is quite a bit lighter. (I know, it's hard to tell with a washed-out pic.)

ACtC-3cBDJbIXyidDcqheZIZmovaXx4uY45U5QZ6TgZiUvLrpB8hQ8urJ2pYVPeGwoVhPj1b7uUxKKSynmWYfIuO4Vi8VPTi1SlN_djl-Mcbi0SrHnfZeSRoAnUmceyrD2LhKr0exPmx_U1sllc8B0fcJb-Q=w557-h804-no

tbonesullivan

HOLY HELL. Thank you for saving me from that one, as it was so so SO tempting. I mean, I love my Morse, and I love blue, and I love sparkles. Of course, I could always order one, but with a Diablo Blue Axis on order, and a Pacific Blue Sparkle Stingray RS at home, I'm good. I hope.

How do the SS frets feel compared to the standard?

GWDavis28

Wow Beej (Jason) congrats man!!!! Love the color!!!! It looks like the body is smaller, is that right?

Glenn |B)

beej

Thanks guys!

How do the SS frets feel compared to the standard?
Hah, well they both have SS frets actually. I had the old one re-fretted a while back.

I like them- they're smoother feeling. But I'd call it a minor difference over nickel frets.

Glenn- that's just my crappy photography skills. They're the same size.

beej

I will say there's a huge difference in the necks. The new one has the worn-down profile they introduced with the Y2D- my favourite neck shape, hands-down. My old one started off with the thicker neck, and was carved down by Tommy, years ago. It's pretty sweet, but not as slim.

I know the Morse is an odd duck and doesn't appeal to everyone but, man, it just feels so great to play.

beej

What does your 91 have behind the stoptail?
Good eye ;) It's a little rubber grommet to stop sympathetic vibration of the G string behind the bridge.

Figuring that one out nearly drove me crazy!

I have a Callaham bridge on there (sitting on some stainless steel screws I drove in further than the original posts) - one of the many mods over the years. It made the guitar a little brighter, but when I'm playing on the middle frets of the G string there was this buzzing that I couldn't dial out. In the end, it was vibration behind the bridge. So now I put a little grommet between the strings to keep it from rattling.

fbecir

2 guitars in 2 days ... congratulations !
You know how to speak to your wife !!!

The Morse is beautiful

PeteDuBaldo

Beej, that's a beautiful guitar, congrats! I'm a sucker for blues, and for sparkles, and I'd love to add one of those to my stable at some point.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but you should seriously consider also picking up a Diablo Blue SM-Y2D Quilt Top from me later this year - you know, since you went through a dry spell without buying anything for a while, and 3 is a charm!

Top Bottom