• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

RichieZ

I see your point... but I thought they'd have made the pot accessible within the removable trem plate... so removing the strings, etc would be unnecessary. Otherwise it would be difficult to adjust it and test it and then adjust it again. A call to CS to make sure would definitely be recommended before putting in too much effort.

There is no back plate on a Cutlass (other than the trem cover plate and the battery box) so I imagine you would have to remove the pickguard to get to the circuit board.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Otherwise it would be difficult to adjust it and test it and then adjust it again.

Not at all. The noise picked up (and cancelled) is completely independent of the strings. Next string change, take all the strings off, open it up, and adjust. I would test with the pickguard on the guitar in playing position, rather than lying on it's back. You'll be done in 5 minutes flat. There may be a compromise in dialing in the setting that works best at all frequencies of noise, or perhaps you'll give priority to whatever bothers you most, or maybe none of that will be necessary, but you can be done and ready to restring in ten minutes flat.

RichieZ

Ahhhh. I was thinking of testing and adjusting while playing. I see what you mean. If you're just testing for noise, then you don't need the strings on. My mistake.

And I didn't realize, the adjustment pot(s) for the silent circuit adjust the frequency, not the level of noise reduction?

Not at all. The noise picked up (and cancelled) is completely independent of the strings. Next string change, take all the strings off, open it up, and adjust. I would test with the pickguard on the guitar in playing position, rather than lying on it's back. You'll be done in 5 minutes flat. There may be a compromise in dialing in the setting that works best at all frequencies of noise, or perhaps you'll give priority to whatever bothers you most, or maybe none of that will be necessary, but you can be done and ready to restring in ten minutes flat.

Jmm

When I adjusted the trim pot on my Cutlass it did not appear to be frequency specific-went from noisier to somewhat less so,same spectrum the whole length of it's travel(as if you were just turning down the volume knob)...I just set it pretty much to the end that was quieter. They said it is set at factory with a multimeter,but also told me it can be set by ear-they also mentioned it is best to set it with the middle pickup selected,fwiw.

beej

It adjusts the amount of noise reduction, not the frequency. Yes, you have to pick the best level for your needs. I do it by ear.

Jmm

I sent mine back to factory for a checkup...it will be interesting to see if I was expecting too much,or if there is indeed something amiss with the circuit-I am thinking the latter,but we'll see.

Jmm

Shortly after that last post i sent the body back to EBMM,and there was indeed a prob with the preamp(which they replaced under warranty)...i am getting it back within the week,looking forward to it working 100%. They were super cool to communicate with,so if the OP is feeling like it *maybe* isn't quite right i would give them a call-can't wait to play it again !

gelvo

On the week I re-strung my guitar and while it was without strings I tested the pot, as a reference I plugged the guitar straight into a clean amp with no pedals, when I plug my Strat into the same amp with the same lead - which has Lace Sensor pickups, it is 100% dead silent. With my Cutlass it is noisey, I adjusted the pot to one extreme where it is very noisy to the other extreme where it is just a little bit noisey. And that is the position I left it in.

When I first got the guitar the tuners were too tight to move so I had to get a screw driver to loosen them enough to use and as soon as I tuned the guitar a string broke on the first day. So I replaced all of the strings the next day. but what I am guessing is that in the trip from America to Australia the guitar might have experienced some low temperatures causing the string to become brittle and the tuners to become too tight.

The strings seem to sit a little too high above the 12th fret which makes me think that the neck also needs adjusting as a result of temperature changes in its journey from America to Australia.

If my theory of the temperate changes is correct, then that might also have an effect on the electronics.

As I live in Adelaide in South Australia, there are no shops for me to go into which stock these guitars for me to test them and compare.

Jmm

If my theory of the temperate changes is correct, then that might also have an effect on the electronics.

As I live in Adelaide in South Australia, there are no shops for me to go into which stock these guitars for me to test them and compare.

It is a long way to travel,though i am wondering how much the electronics would be affected...the wood i can see not loving the temp/pressure change,but after it acclimates all is usually good. Mine needed a slight/easy neck adj after a few days and i also tweaked a few of the tuner buttons(though a bit loose instead of too tight). Btw,adjusting intonation on the Cutlass is super smooth-great bridge!

gelvo

To honest I am probably being overly picky, it actually plays like butter, I couldn't be more happy with a guitar that I have ever owned.

here is a little clip of it in action:

Jmm

Nice clip!
-I have to give props to EBMM for sorting out my Cutlass issue quickly/graciously ... very sweet guitar,thx again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom