• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words and comments on yesterday's NYNGD #2014-1!

If you're not familiar or didn't stop by yesterday: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! Standard caveat: In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. My answer is here!

Today's NGD is a Silhouette Special in the stunning Autumn Sparkle Burst finish!

photo_0001.jpg

photo_0002.jpg

photo_0003.jpg

The interesting thing for me about this guitar is that you'll note that all of the other Silo's in my collection (except for the Silo 20th) are old-school or reissue floating Floyd Rose Silo's. The floating Floyd has always been my bread and butter and the vintage trem never appealed to me. Then along came the Luke III (which, trust me, we will discuss before this year's NYNDG's is finished) and totally changed my POV. So this is the first "proper" Silhouette that I've owned with a vintage trem, and it's my first Silhouette Special! The Strat sounds on this guitar are outstanding, but then the bridge humbucker is there to remind you that balls-and-chunk are only a 5-way switch away!

I played this guitar on stage a few weeks ago but annoyingly didn't get a photo of it in action. :mad:

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Last edited:

Tollywood

Congrats on a beautiful sparkle finish, Jeff.

I was also a die hard Floyd Rose player until I got "stuck" with a vintage trem on a Luke III. Now, I love the vintage trem more than any other trem EVER. I'm glad you are liking it as well.

Stratty316

The vintage Trem has become my favorite as well. Will only do the Axis with a floyd from this point on... However I haven't really played my Axis since I got the silo spec....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dibart77

To be clear, I am still very much a Floyd Rose aficionado. I have had other vintage trem EBMM's (the 20th Anniversary Silo and the 25th Anniversary), but I think the Luke III coming setup with the trem in floating mode lends itself to being used as a vibrato (play a clean chord and then gently wobble the trem up and down) and that's what hooked me. I grab my LIII Mary Kay and find myself an hour later still holding it just playing chord progressions with tasty vibrato. That's where I started to change my perception of the vintage trem -- I used to think it was "cheesy" and "Str@t retro" whereas the Floyd is modern (although that's 30 some-odd years old now). I think I was missing the whole point of the vintage trem!

So probably the theme for a lot of this year's NYNGD will be vintage-trem-o-rama!

peterd79

Ddi you snag this one off of Reverb?
i was looking at it and then it went missing... LOL

Top Bottom