• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 4 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Thanks for the kind words and comments on NYNGD #2022-3!

Today's guitar is another stunning one-off "Connoisseur Cut" that I just purchased in the end-of-year sale on the EBMM Vault. This Axis Super Sport in Translucent Aqua Blue literally just arrived 4 days ago and I have not even plugged it in yet! But it's awesome and here in all its stunning glory as NYNGD #2022-4! But, because it's so new, I only did a few photos and all the photos with the white background are EBMM factory photos.

This guitar is pretty stunning. First, there's the Trans Aqua Blue Burst top (it has many names -- the Vault called it Translucent Blue, the Serial Number database calls it Aqua Blue Quilt). Just a lovely top and lovely color. The body back is okoume/mahogany, and the quilt maple top is bound with a white (not cream) body binding. Gold hardware and pickup poles.

The neck is Honduran Mahogany with a rosewood fretboard with white binding. The back of the neck and the headstock are bursted in the same blues as the body. Interestingly, the rosewood fretboard is "light", almost like a pickled finish (I think that's what you call it when you apply a trans white stain). I'd be curious to ask Tomas how that fretboard was done.

Such a stunner.

And somebody's got some 'splaining to do, because somebody snatched the Trans Purple ASS on the Vault right when I was about to pull the trigger on it. But I was going for that instead of this Aqua ASS, and I'm glad I ended up with this one! But if you're the trans purple thief, reveal yourself now!

For those who celebrate, Merry Christmas Eve!

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! Thanks for looking everyone!

large_0001.jpg

large_0002.jpg

large_0003.jpg

large_0004.jpg

large_0005.jpg

large_0006.jpg

large_0007.jpg

large_0008.jpg

classes_1992-2022.jpg

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

Rbg

Beautiful as always!

Slight off topic if you don't mind: do you think Axis is the most popular MM guitar and why? :)

thegregslife

I would love to see more of your guitars, but the links to the photos don't seem to work on any of the guitars except for the ones in 2021 and 2022... :cry:

edit: They actually work, I just had to switch browsers!

Last edited:

JasonT

That looks fantastic! Plus it’s got the magic combination of mahogany and maple. Bet it sounds killer! Great score, Jeff!

dibart77

I would love to see more of your guitars, but the links to the photos don't seem to work on any of the guitars except for the ones in 2021 and 2022... :cry:

Hmmm. When the boards switched over last year I re-did all the links. Lemme check.

Slight off topic if you don't mind: do you think Axis is the most popular MM guitar and why? :)

No, I think the JP and Majesty are the most popular guitars, because from what Brian Ball has said, it's the best selling signature line of all time. The Axis is MY most popular guitar because it's just an excellent instrument!

Reactions: Rbg

wannarock8

Congratulations! I had my eye on this one! I put one of my guitars up for sale on reverb, so if it sold I’d grab this one or the purple one. It didn’t sell in time. I’ve got an Axis, and Axis Super Sports in the standard basswood body, maple neck construction, but I was intrigued with the okoume body/mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard on this one.
That has to be one of the nicest quilt tops I’ve ever seen. I like the wider quilt pattern.
When you get a chance to plug it in, I’d be curious if you hear a difference between this one and the standard basswood/maple Axis Super Sports. Congratulations!

thegregslife

Hmmm. When the boards switched over last year I re-did all the links. Lemme check.

No, I think the JP and Majesty are the most popular guitars, because from what Brian Ball has said, it's the best selling signature line of all time. The Axis is MY most popular guitar because it's just an excellent instrument!

I should have clarified- the links do work, but the photos do not show up in the links (aside from the 2021 and 2022 posts). Hopefully that makes sense.

edit: just switched from Chrome to Safari, and they work now. Problem was on my end! Sorry for the confusion Jeff :)

GWDavis28

Damn Jeff, you are on a roll this year and gold hardware seems to the the thing so far (hahahahahaha).

Another great choice, for an Axis lover like yourself. Congrats, Glenn |B)

jlf599

I pondered both this one and the purple...but the neck finish made me shy away.

Absolutely beautiful, though!

headcrash

What a beautiful guitar, holy shice!!

As far as the neck finish goes, I'm with jlf599, since I am so used to the unfinished necks.

Top Bottom