• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 5 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Thanks for the kind words and comments on NYNGD #2022-4!

Well, so much for getting this year's NYNGD done by New Year's Eve. Here we are in mid-January and launching NYNDG #2022-5. Sorry guys, life is just busy and I can't bang these out at the same pace I used to be able to... Anyway, let's get to it!

Today's NYNGD is the first Luke II of the year, and it's an amazing specimen in Candy Red. It's in mint condition and comes with a matching headstock, which is always my preference. Coincidentally this guitar was born on my birthday -- June 11th -- in 2013.

Not much else to say except it's an awesome sounding and playing Luke II and the candy red color is to die for (and also a royal PITA to photograph as it wants to turn orangey).

What do you all think? A classic, I say.

I'll be back soon with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! Thanks for looking everyone!

large_0001.jpg

large_0002.jpg

large_0003.jpg

large_0004.jpg

large_0005.jpg

large_0006.jpg

large_0007.jpg

large_0008.jpg

large_0009.jpg

classes_1992-2022.jpg

Past Days:
The new EBMM message board limits the number of characters in a post so I can't put a list of direct links in the post. Click here for an index.

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

racerx

Great score and great looking color for a Luke, especially with the matching headstock! I agree with you on the matching headstock being preferred - I'm shocked to see so many people against it. Sometimes plain does look better paired with a traditional finish or stain, but if its a cool color - more is better in my book.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Nice guitar. I will shock RacerX o_O but I prefer the natural headstock (but I'm not against it !).
The colour seems a bit darker than my AL (Classic Candy).
Yes, it should be darker. If I recall correctly, the Luke I was offered in two colors called "Pearl Red" and "Pearl Blue". They were slightly darker colors than later versions which were called "Candy Red" and "Blue Pearl".

Note also that Candy Apple Red was a color offered by Fender. Music Man had no apples, just the candy. :)

beej

Jesus that looks incredible. Jeff- you take incredible photos! I'd be hard pressed to get any of my guitars looking that good.

Frankly, I'd pay good money for a "behind the scenes at Jeff's photo shoots" series.

GWDavis28

Nice snag there Jeff!!! Great looking and an awesome neck.

Looks more like a Radiance red, but I could be wrong. When was the Cardinal Red PDN run?

Glenn |B)

dibart77

Yes, it should be darker. If I recall correctly, the Luke I was offered in two colors called "Pearl Red" and "Pearl Blue". They were slightly darker colors than later versions which were called "Candy Red" and "Blue Pearl".

Note also that Candy Apple Red was a color offered by Fender. Music Man had no apples, just the candy. :)

Yeah, it's pretty close (maybe same) as my Luke 1 Pearl Red. I can't dig that out right now. So maybe it's Pearl Red.

Jesus that looks incredible. Jeff- you take incredible photos! I'd be hard pressed to get any of my guitars looking that good.

Frankly, I'd pay good money for a "behind the scenes at Jeff's photo shoots" series.

I don't even have time to do the guitar photos, much less a begins the scenes. LOL! ;)

Nice snag there Jeff!!! Great looking and an awesome neck.

Looks more like a Radiance red, but I could be wrong. When was the Cardinal Red PDN run?

Glenn |B)

I don't think it's Radiance Red. And it's 100% not Cardinal Red PDN - those had big sparkle flakes, this is a pearl.

GWDavis28

I don't think it's Radiance Red. And it's 100% not Cardinal Red PDN - those had big sparkle flakes, this is a pearl.
Yah well the 2013 Cardinal Red was a guess I didn't see the big flakes either. Maybe you got an artist piece or something, still pretty cool.

Glenn |B)

jayjayjay

That color sort of reminds me of the gasoline color that the LIIIs come in on the Vault, albeit a little more red. At least, that's how it looks on my non-calibrated business class monitor which can have weird color shifts if you view it off axis.

dibart77

That color sort of reminds me of the gasoline color that the LIIIs come in on the Vault, albeit a little more red. At least, that's how it looks on my non-calibrated business class monitor which can have weird color shifts if you view it off axis.

No... this is a deep red. Gasoline is very different, it's a burst. Compare:

large_0001.jpg

large_0001.jpg

Top Bottom