• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jdames

I just read the interview with your CEO, Sterling Ball, on CNET: http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=lh. I am going to dust off my rusty strings and go buy a new set today at lunch in honor of your company's tenaciousness in the face of Microsoft's licensing stormtroopers. You have done something very respectable, and I commend you on your success!

Joe

fillide

Free "Libre" Software is the way

Hi guys !

I would like to thank Sterling and everyone @ Ernie Ball for their courage in front of so arogance and way of doing from MS and other BSA friends.

You've choose the right way, now that you're sure of it it's a pleasure to see you promote Free "Libre" Software as you do ! :)

Everyone in Europe know about that, and I'll recommend Ernie Ball to all bands which will (and have) play to our HxC Festival BetiZFest !!!

Here in Europe Software Patents are NOT YET legal, but the EU parlement will vote soon on it.

I would be very happy to see also some guys talking about that.

Cause you know, such patents on software (I'm not against all patents, a patent on a inovation about making strings is ofcourse OK) could win the game (you've win a battle).

I explain : there's a patent already deposed (but not yet legal) on PROGRESS BAR !
(Brevet EP 394160, till 2010)
That is to say OpenOffice 1.1 which display a progress bar when startup could be worried !!

This sucks a lot, we don't want software patent in Europe, how guys in US live with software patents ? (I'm curious, if you have stories about it please write)

Anyway thanks again, and I whish a long road to Ernie Ball on their business and on the Computing Freedom.

Fabien.

Sunburst

Way to go Sterling!

My 1st visit and post here. For standing up to MS you've earned my admiration and business.

Thanks!

Estin

damn thats bull****, that makes me even think twice about playing my XBOX now.

fillide

peter71

I work for Microsoft (well, right now), and it really isn't that bad of a place. That being said, I can totally understand what Sterling is doing. If anything, companies that choose to do what he is doing will help all companies, Microsoft included, to make better products. The more competition there is, the more emphasis there will be on quality.

It is funny, but EB is the perfect company to do this, because they are both number one in their industry (guitar strings) and also a fringe market that creates truely remarkable premium products (music man). They are offering both perspectives, the mass producers and the quality competition that should push the other mass producers to make better items.

The funny thing is, we as consumers take things a step further. I am a perfect example of this. I never play anything but Music Man guitars now, even if I go to a guitar store. Unless it is an acoustic or semi hollow body or some product that MM doesn't make. Even though there are great manufacturers out there (PRS or G&L or Godin to name a few, I know that there are many others) I just am loyal to MM.

So even if Microsoft made the greatest prodect ever, that was far superior to any other platform, there would still be people that refused to buy it. So loyalty plays a big role in our purchases as well.

The sad thing is that all Microsoft had to do, in this case, was work with them and the problem would have been avoided. But it sounds like Ernie Ball is definately ok with the changes, so good for them.

Anyway, that is my two cents, for what they are worth. My bet is probably 2/100ths of a dollar...

Top Bottom