• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GoKart Mozart

Nice video! I enjoyed that. I left a comment, which mentions Dudley specifically.
I did the same, haha! Thought it needed to be said, especially since he has a damn picture of Dudley in the video around the 14:00 minute mark.

On a related note, one of the YT comments mentioned that Dudley's Tele/LP hybrid shape was originally offered to Albert Lee but he passed on it. I can't remember EVER hearing about that in my 20+ years in this group. :unsure:

We've heard BP and Albert both tell the story about the A.L. model origins (Dudley & Sterling came up with the retro Jetson's shape, Albert seeing the prototype guitar at the MM Christmas party in '87 or '88 and falling in love with it, etc.). Never have heard though that he had first dibs on the Tele/LP shape that later became the VH model.

ruger9

Interesting that, knowing he and Lukather were good friends, and Lukather pointed him in the direction of EBMM, that the EVH has the same narrow neck the Lukes do... is this an EBMM thing? Are all the EBMM necks narrow? I think it's the smallest neck I ever played on my Luke 3...

The other guitarist in my band has an original EVH (not an Axis), the neck is very similar to my Luke 3, slightly different profile but still quite small.

mantrarock

I think for the Luke, EBMM 3D scanned or reproduced Luke’s favorite neck. I would assume they did the same for the EVH…

ruger9

Seems crazy they both played such small necks... 1-5/8 1-9/16 is not the norm, I just found it odd.

lifeson1

Watched this last night, I am thankful for Pete on putting it together, and helping me revisit such an important part of my life as a young player and discovering all these wonderful EBMM guitars.

Also can’t wait to pull out Fuego this weekend to run through some of my favorite Floyd riddled VH licks to keep the nostalgia going.
IMG_0778.jpeg

Iperfungus

Watched this last night, I am thankful for Pete on putting it together, and helping me revisit such an important part of my life as a young player and discovering all these wonderful EBMM guitars.

Also can’t wait to pull out Fuego this weekend to run through some of my favorite Floyd riddled VH licks to keep the nostalgia going.
View attachment 43315
FUCK!!!
That top.....

FUEGO it's a proper name for that Axis!

Ninemile

Cool video, but a damn shame that Dudley Gimple isn't mentioned anywhere in the entire video by name and being credited for the LP/Tele hybrid body design of the VH model.

Hero worship abounds...:rolleyes:
I need to get more educated on Dudley! I did read that he once worked at Knut Koupee Music in Minneapolis, which is a store I often visited in my youth. But as far as the body design of the Axis/EVH, I thought it was a shape borrowed from the Gretsch Beast, from the 1970's. Is that not accurate or was Dudley also involved with that as well?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I need to get more educated on Dudley! I did read that he once worked at Knut Koupee Music in Minneapolis, which is a store I often visited in my youth. But as far as the body design of the Axis/EVH, I thought it was a shape borrowed from the Gretsch Beast, from the 1970's. Is that not accurate or was Dudley also involved with that as well?
The Beast? I've never heard that before. True or not, I cannot say.

CoffeeDrinker71

For those of you who have experienced playing both the EVH model and the Axis, how do the necks compare? Are there any major differences besides the slightly wider neck of the Axis?

Top Bottom