• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GWDavis28

Big Poppa said:
1: Our manager Frank Solomon also manages Steve Morse, and was the guy who introduced me to Sterling. I was looking for a new home and found it.

2: Absolutely, I can never get enough. Something me and BP have in common, he even gave me a ukelele lesson while we were responding.

[Thanks btw for purchasing the black CLB Axis. -Casey, ed.]

John, thanx.

Casey, no thank you, I'm living the dream as well. Actually it's my wifes and she loves it.

Later, Glenn |B)

Big Poppa

jimmyp said:
I'm interested in a similar question - during the Budokan DVd, it was like watching the olympics - you guys really had to concentrate to play a lot of the material - my question, as well as about the tempo, is does it become frustrating not being able to put so much into the performance to the audience due the the complexity of DTs music and making sure it is performed accurately?
If I had one more question, it would probably be "where do babies come from?" You are called Big Poppa after all...
dave
p.s. looking forward to Hard rock live Orlando 6th August
Dream Theater puts EVERYTHING into each performance every night, and we take it very seriously. It's not frustrating playing live and is one of my biggest joys in life.

Big Poppa

Jimi D said:
I have a quick one regarding the neck-thru prototypes... (very cool looking guitars, btw)... Are you keeping the same neck shape on these 24.75" scale guitars as is found on the current Petrucci production model?
"This prototyping is to blaze new trails, not just re-hash what we've already done. So we're experimenting with new pickups and necks and whatnot."
-JP

Big Poppa

JP Buttercream said:
Hi! John,

How do you run your piezo system (direct to PA, stereo input, etc.)? It sounds great on the "Budokan" CD/DVD set.

Thanks for "Rock Discipline," "Wild Stringdom," and the JP7. My JP7 Buttercream LE is the best guitar I've ever played/owned.

See you at the Detroit clinic!
1: I take a stereo cable out of the stereo jack of the JP, that goes into an AB box where it's split into two signals. One is for the magnetic pickups going into the guitar rig, and the other is for the Piezo which goes into a DI and directly into the board.

2: very welcome.

Big Poppa

adambilz said:
What a great opportunity! Mr. Petrucci:
1.) Are you going to be using the baritone guitar more live, is it still a doubleneck?
2.) As asked before too, any chance of an 'Evening With' Dream Theater leg for the US tour?
3.) Octavarium was such a pleasant surprise coming from Dream Theater, I'm a picky SOB and I absolutely love it, start to finish, just like the solo album. Thanks for still putting out incredible stuff!
~Adam Bilz
1: I will be using the baritone live on "Panic Attack" and "These Walls". The double-neck is a 12-string 6-string.

2: Same thing as the Octavarium tour, Feb/Mar 06

koogie2k

Actually, I do have a question....

I was wondering if by chance you sit with a classical guitar and play. I can't seem to remember a "classical" type of tune on any of your records.....any chance of you throwing something out like that?

Big Poppa

kbaim said:
Another question or 2 if you don't mind.

When you are composing something by yourself, do you have an idea of what the other instruments will sound like? Or do you just leave it up to them?

Also, at what point do you bring new ideas to the group? After you've worked them out a bit or when the ideas materialize?
"I usually hear entire compositions in my head, including all parts. However, one of the beautiful things about being in a band with the members of DT is that their creative input always makes it better than I imagined. I bring musical ideas in as sketches as well as well thought out compositions."
-JP

SteveB

Just to clarify...

You're working on a "Lamborghini" version of the current bolt-on.. in addition to the neck-thru? Or instead of the neck-thru? Is the "Lamborghini" derived from the current model, or is it not confined to any parameters as we know them today?

Big Poppa

francric said:
JP: After so many songs you have written or collaborated on, is it harder now to come up with new material?

JP: Why do you think your music isn't played on the radio as much as we feel it should be? Do you or the band try to get more radio play?
1: There's never a shortage of flee-flowing creative ideas in this band!

2: If i had power over deciding which songs were going to be hits, I would have had many by now.

Big Poppa

NorM said:
When I open GP magazine every month I am always delighted to see the Ernie Ball ad right inside the front cover. I wish there were ads for the guitar inside the magazine so I could say, “I’ve got one of those” or more importantly, “I need one of those”. When I see the ad for the EB radio I think how cool, but why do I want to tune in. The answer made itself obvious today. Its events such as these. Getting the people like Mr. Petrucci in front of the people (ie guitar playing freaks) that want to see him. I know BP is a busy man and all but there is enough personality there that people would love to hear him push his products. (Like the hair club for men, he’s not just a member he’s also the president.)
This is a way super cool event that will have positive aspects for all parties involved. This event and others like it would certainly be worthy of scheduling and posting in national magazine ads. That’ll get the kids to tune in. In the event that this is the only one of these kind of things or if there are more in the future, I am glad I am a part of it and thank you Sterling and all involved for making this happen.
Ground Breaking
Enough of the butt kissing and on to the questions.
JP
1. Can you talk about the process involved in order to get a one off type of guitar ie your double neck.
2. a. Will there be any clinics or events in Tucson Friday?
b. If the answer is no (which is acceptable) Would you like to drop by the house and jam for a while? (Again, No is an acceptable answer)
3. While your in town, is there somewhere I could get you to sign the tremolo cover for my Rare Sparkly Burnt Apple Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci with matching headstock shield inlays and piezo equipped Model? Or should I wait for the open house?
"Wait for the open house, that's where dreams come true."
-JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom