• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeChannel

No questions here really (other than the obligatory why back to 9's man? haha.)...but a thank you to JP is in order for a certain recent promo pic...makes a cool addition to my studio wall. Thanks again!

J.

Big Poppa

ripley said:
non guitar related question;

what's your favorite movie

guitar related;

how high does john keep his action?
"For my favorite movie? Well that's a tough choice, but if I had to choose it'd be The Godfather. But I also like Star Wars. On Topic, I keep my action super low."
-JP

Big Poppa

fogman said:
John,

(1) Watching you play makes me tired because I cannot believe how much/fast you are playing. Your songs are longer than the average son. Obviously you would be quite tired after a show. How often do you need to just walk away and not look at a guitar for a while?

(2) Aside from yourself, who is your favourite guitarist and why?

Thanks!
1: I often take breaks for a few days in between tour legs.

2: My favorite guitar player of all time is Steve Morse. Nobody touches him.

Big Poppa

DaveB said:
Can you ask John if the "Evening with" show was video taped?

(its an all time favourite and love to see you two guys doing it).

In fact a Petrucci/Rudess gig in London would be fine.

and "big up" to BP for doing things like the Open House and this.

Dave
"Sadly not, but Jordan and I talk about future duet gigs. So you never know."
-JP

FoxMustang

Probably won't get this far with questions, but I'll regret it if I don't ask...

JP - can I buy your Gunsmoke JP7 ???? I can make payment in cash or redundant organs (kidney, lung, etc), whatever ;) :D

And I also just want to say thanks for being you. You've been my inspiration for playing since I first heard Images & Words in '93. And thanks to EBMM for this opportunity.

rockdisciple

Hi, John,
I had the opportunity to meet you at a Meet and Greet in Maryland last year, and it was amazing! You've been a major influence on my playing and my approach to the instrument, and you also seem like a really cool, nice guy, which is great to see in professional musicians.

One of the things I've loved the most about your playing is the way you structure many of your solos. The way they build from a little melody in the beggining, and develop with help from the flurries of chops at dramatic moments is just so great to hear, musically. It's the kind of marriage of technique and musicality that I am striving to achieve in my lead work. How do you go about writing a solo like The Spirit Carries On, Scarred, Lines In The Sand or Paradigm Shift? Thank you for all of your inspirational music and dedication to playing what you want to hear!

PeteDuBaldo

Question for Big Poppa -

Is this just a ploy to increase your post count?

Thank you to John Petrucci -
John, we spoke about a few things for a bit after the Train Of Though show at the Oakdale in CT last March, one of them was getting an EB account for my store (you and Dream Theater signed my DVD copy of "Dead Again"). I just wanted to say "thanks" for taking the time to chat, and I did get my EB account, and I did manage to locate a first production run Blue Dawn 6er that I simply love. I will see you in Sept at the open house, and hopefully be able to talk to you about the possibility of coming to CT for a New England clinic :)

Last edited:

Big Poppa

savannah_sean said:
John,

I got your solo album recently and I think it's great.

1. How did you come to work with Dave LaRue, and how did you like working with him?

2. The song "curve" sounds like a nod to Satriani. Was that purposeful, or just the way the melody/rhythm came out?
"I met LaRue through Morse, he's an absolutely brilliant bass player. Thanks for checking out "Suspended Animation. Curve I wrote for the MM Jam Show at The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano as a duet with Tony Levin."
-JP

deadringer

John, let me start by saying thank you for all the years of enjoyment, inspiration, and learning you've given me as a player! I bought one of the JP7's and I live on that guitar. With seven string guitars popularity settling down it's getting harder to get great sevens, will you always keep a seven string line for your signature stuff? :D

Big Poppa

JoshB86 said:
Hey! First post here. :)

John you're my number one inspiration man! Thank you!

John, I have just have two questions, I was wondering what gear you used on your solo album, and on the Liquid Tension records.

Thanks,
Josh
"On Liquid Tension, a used a Mesa Boogie Triaxis and a 2:90 Power Amp. On Liquid Tension 2, I used a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, On Suspended Animation I used both a Mesa Boogie Mark II and a Road King."
-JP

Big Poppa

ugly_guitar_guy said:
Hey John,

In some of the new tour photos you're seen playing with the DiMarzio Drop Sonic pickup. Obviously you're using it for drop tunings since that's what it's designed for, but have you considered using it for standard tunings as well? I've been using mine for standard tunings since they came out (a recommendation from Steve B at DiMarzio himself) and I think it's absolutely amazing for thickening up the sound of a basswood body guitar.

Also, I know pretty much every single rhythm track off of your album "Suspended Animation" (including harmonies) so if you decide to tour with those songs and need a backing guitarist I'm available :D:D:D Cheers and thanx for an amazing show on 7/24 in Irvine!!!!
"I agree, it's a great pickup; and I'll keep you in mind for a tour."
-JP

Big Poppa

PAP said:
John...
1. what is your the biggest musical dream?
2. do you have a nightmare? for example you have to play to the end of your life without EBMM guitars or play country only? :)
3. how do you think, your EBMM signature guitar could be improved, if yes, what do you would change or improve? :p

Thanks
1: I am living my musical dream.

2: my nightmare is not being able to remember my music.

SteveB

JP..

Have you tried the new Ernie Ball wah pedal yet? If so, tell us all about it! :D

Also, do you think you can convince Dudley to log on to this site? Sterling says its up to us guitarists...

Also, I would love to see a follow-up instructional DVD. Maybe you can produce it yourself and that would make it worth doing...

Big Poppa

kneeoh said:
Hey John,

First, I'd like to thank you and Big Poppa for your signature guitar... I own an EBMM and an OLP version with plans of buying more when money permits..., and for your music. I have had Octavarium in my car CD player for weeks now :) ... truly an inspiring disc!

I've got 2 questions for you,

Who would you consider to be the biggest influences on your song-writing and guitar playing?

If you could name any 3 artists you would jump at the chance to perform with, who would they be and why?

Thanks,
James

PS: can't wait to catch your clinic in Detroit and Gigantour the next day!
"My biggest influences on my songwriting are: Peter Gabriel, Roger Waters, Big Poppa, James Hetfield, Geddy Lee, and many others.

My biggest influences on guitar playing are: Steve Morse, Alex Laifeson, Steve Howe, Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth, and SRV

Who I'd like to play with: Undecided. But I'd love Dream Theater to tour with Rush.

Big Poppa

tommyindelaware said:
i love the control of tone that comes from being able to alternate pick & pick every note. it seems to me that string crossing is the most frequently avoided.... & most difficult aspect of picking every note w/ any amount of speed.
was string crossing something you could always do.....or did you have to work on it specifically....& do you have any suggestions on how to master it.

p.s. . y'all should market that whammy system....... i think it's far & away the best on the planet. when poppa builds me my morse type one offs......i want one w/ your trem,
thanks....& the best to you both !!!!!
"When I asked Steve Morse the very same question his answer was simple: 'Just do it.'"
-JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom