• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BOOST

So I have recently acquired an 06 stingray 4 with a 3band eq, in my search for that classic ray sound, I have toyed with the idea of getting a PRE EB pick up and a 2band eq.. could I swap each of these? Like is it possible? I'm just wondering how this would transform the bass...Thx kinda crazy idea I know

mouth

Sure it would work, why wouldn't it? That is, unless you grab one of the very early pickups (up to 77') that have the longer pole pieces, those won't fit in the cavity.

I've turned one of my previous 3 band Stingrays into a "2 band", kind of, sort of. I've replaced the preamp with the John East MM 3 band preamp (it's based on a 2 band preamp, with the additional mid/sweep control) so I could fit all 4 knobs. I worked nice with the Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup, but ultimately, with all of my experimentation with preamps and pickups, my favorites were stock Stingray pup+preamp.

My suggestion is to either get a 2 band Stingray (sell the 3 bander if you don't like it), or if you must experiment, try swapping out the preamp first, no need to replace the pickup. If you can, find the original 2 band preamp, or one of the better aftermarket ones that are replicas of the Stingray 2 band. That alone will give you the 2 bander flavor, and is the cheapest route, and you can easily put the original preamp back in.

danny-79

Agree with the East pre amp, it’s based around the classic two band (bass and treble) with the mid pot being stacked, lower control sweeps the frequencies and the top pot either boost or cuts. Leaving top pot at centre dent switches off the mid control totally bypassing it.
(It’s also available with out the mid control, cheaper too, just handy to have and saves a blank space on control panel)
They are reasonably priced new and if you don’t like it you shouldn’t have much trouble selling it on.

Golden Rule: keep all original parts for if you do want to sell in the future.
Good luck and have fun with new bass !

Last edited:

BOOST

Sure it would work, why wouldn't it? That is, unless you grab one of the very early pickups (up to 77') that have the longer pole pieces, those won't fit in the cavity.

I've turned one of my previous 3 band Stingrays into a "2 band", kind of, sort of. I've replaced the preamp with the John East MM 3 band preamp (it's based on a 2 band preamp, with the additional mid/sweep control) so I could fit all 4 knobs. I worked nice with the Nordstrand MM4.2 pickup, but ultimately, with all of my experimentation with preamps and pickups, my favorites were stock Stingray pup+preamp.

My suggestion is to either get a 2 band Stingray (sell the 3 bander if you don't like it), or if you must experiment, try swapping out the preamp first, no need to replace the pickup. If you can, find the original 2 band preamp, or one of the better aftermarket ones that are replicas of the Stingray 2 band. That alone will give you the 2 bander flavor, and is the cheapest route, and you can easily put the original preamp back in.

Well seeing as I am a lefty, 2 band eq rays are super hard to find, mind you a left handed ray alone is hard enough to find lol. I am going to see if I can locate the 2eq parts and start there. thx

mouth

Well seeing as I am a lefty, 2 band eq rays are super hard to find, mind you a left handed ray alone is hard enough to find lol. I am going to see if I can locate the 2eq parts and start there. thx

Yup that is your easiest option. One of the better aftermarket ones are John East, Nordstrand and Retrovibe Stinger.

Top Bottom