• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jholcomb

Hi guys and girls.

I'm relatively new to this forum, the folks here are all really nice.

I thought I'd share my story with you all, in hopes it can help someone out there.

I'm a 53 year old guitar picker who loves Albert Lee (how I got to this forum). Back in early May, I saw my primary care doctor, for my usual bloodwork/checkup. I always ask about my PSA number, and he told me it was 1.8, which was fine. About a year ago I saw a urologist for another urinary tract issue which turned out to be apnea related (she figured that out when several other doctors couldn't). On a whim I thought I'd schedule an appointment with her as my PCP doesn't seem to wild about doing a digital exam, and she has small hands and is an experienced urologist, so one performed by her is not uncomfortable at all. I had no symptoms, and even almost cancelled the appointment, figuring I had no problems. But, I went ahead with it.

She saw my recent PSA of 1.8, and also said it was fine, then she looked at my PSA from a year ago, which was .8, and her alarm went off. She was concerned that my PSA had increased over 100 percent in a year. My digital exam was normal, but she recommended a biopsy.

A few weeks later, I had my biopsy, (unpleasant, but not terrible), and a week later I got the results. ONE of the 12 biopsy cores had a very small amount of cancer, Gleason Score 6 (relatively non-aggressive). I was told that my numbers where good, but I needed a CT scan of my abdomen and bone scan to be sure it had not spread. I had those done, and everything was clean. I basically had two choices, radiation or DiVinci robotic surgery for removal of the prostate. Both my doctor and oncologist I consulted with were very certain that either choice would cure be because it was caught so early, but each option has pros and cons, so it would be a personal choice. After much research and a couple of more consultations with my urologist, I decided on surgery. To make a long story less long, I had the surgery on August 4, and got a good pathology report (my prostate contained pre-cancer cells but it appeared that the only cancer found was the cancer found in the biopsy, this was confirmed by four different pathologists). I've had a small complication in that I had some clotting in my catheter while in the hospital, resulting in me having the catheter a little longer, but I'm going to be fine. I've still got some hurdles to clear, but the important thing is that all the cancer is gone.

So....guys and girls who have guys they love, here's my advice. Get regular PSAs AND digital exams. Neither test is perfect, but together they work. See a urologist. They see and understand nuances in PSA scores that primary care doctors might not, I also recommend you write down your PSA somewhere and keep track of it yourself....I had no idea that mine had increased so much so quickly (referred to as velocity), so it's always a good idea to self advocate. Finally, don't be afraid or squeamish about a digital exam. It's not as bad as it sounds, and is over with in a flash. Going to a qualified urologist may have saved my life, I know that.

Now back to talking about Balls.....no, not the kind related to this post!!!!

JayDawg

Glad to hear you are recovering and everything was caught early. I'll be praying that you continue to recover and have no relapses.

jholcomb

Glad to hear you are recovering and everything was caught early. I'll be praying that you continue to recover and have no relapses.

Thank you. Of course here are no guarantees, but the doctors feel very certain they got it all. But I'll be monitored closely the rest of my life.

JayDawg

I hear ya. My wife is in the same boat. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in April, had a mastectomy in May and then started chemotherapy as a precaution in June. She finishes chemo up in September and then we are on to re-constructive surgery. While they have said that she has less than a 10% chance of getting breast cancer again, like your situation, there are no guarantees. I keep her lifted up in prayer though and simply trust God. He has taken care of her so far and I trust He will continue to do so in the future. Anything we can do for you, let me know!

TNT

jholcomb, thanks so very much!!!! Actually, your information was very clear and easy to understand, in comparison to alot of the garbage out there (including what many doc's say!!)

Great advice!!!:)

jholcomb

Just hoping I can make a difference to someone out there.

Recovery sucks but I'm thankful I'm recovering cancer free.

Now...when I get all my med bills/insurance BS squared away, I'm going to buy an AL SSS Trem, and then I'll REALLY feel like I belong here!!!!

jholcomb

Then again, even though I don't have an AL yet, I CAN at least truthfully state I've used nothing but EB Regular Slinkys since I started playing guitar a zillion years ago. So I feel a little bit like part of the family!!!

jholcomb

No symptoms? Scary.

Lots of people don't have symptoms until it's too late, that's why yearly PSAs and digitals are critical. There's also a great book by Dr. Patrick Walsh called Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer that every man should probably own, BEFORE they find out they have prostate cancer. Of all the literature I looked that, that book has the most info, and my doctor was impressed by it as well.

After I was diagnosed, I only told my immediate family, then gradually told others when I realized there were lots of men out there in their 50's who hadn't had a PSA or digital yet. Now I'm comfortable talking about ANY of it, good or bad. Again, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV! I'm just a thankful picker who's willing to share if it helps anyone!!!

jholcomb

I just wanted to add that if anyone wanted to PM me about anything on the subject, that is fine!

paranoid70

I hope you have a full recovery from the surgery and of course pray that the cancer does not return. You have a great attitude and it would seem a great appreciation for life - you should do very well!

On the flip side, I must say I find it encouraging to finally hear good things about urologists for a change. 5 years ago I had a vasectomy and... well things went very badly. The procedure was unbelievably painful and I have had chronic pain ever since. The uro who butchered me was totally useless on follow-up visits, and really seemed to be very uncaring about my condition. I visited a few others, and they weren't much better. I have communicated with others who have had chronic pain from vasectomy and all have nothing good to say about the uros who worked on us - they never warned us about the possiblity of chronic pain.

I hope I can get over my distrust of urologists to schedule a prostrate exam some day.

five7

Thanks for sharing and bringing this important matter to our attention. Thank God you are okay! My psa level was high and my doctor told me to come back in a month and have it checked again. I made some major changes in my lifestyle and my psa level went down. Hopefully it stays down. All men need to be checked regulary!!!

jholcomb

P70, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with urologists. Here's hoping you get some help and things get better.

I'm fortunate to have a great urologist, and she's a beautiful, young, woman as well!

I figure she's saved my life twice now. I was originally referred to her about a year and a half ago. I was getting up 6-7 times a night and urinating gallons each time. This went on for months and months. It started right after my three month old grandson died of SIDS, so I thought some of it might be related to depression. After some tests and a visit or two, she figured out that I had sleep apnea and referred me for a sleep study. Turns out I had severe apnea (I had been having trouble staying awake watching TV), which causes your body to secret a hormone that kicks your kidneys into overdrive at night instead of shutting them down as normal when sleeping. I got a C-PAP machine, and slept through the entire night the first night on it! I'm pretty sure if it had gone untreated I would have fallen asleep while driving at some point, as I always seemed to be fighting the urge, which also went away after the first night.

Then she picked up on the PSA velocity going up. I've had several medical professionals tell me many doctors would have just monitored my PSA for a while, where she was proactive and ordered a biopsy. So I feel very lucky to have her....but I know quality of physicians vary just like everything else (I have one doctor I'm not real confident about). Anyway, get those PSAs and digitals, guys!!!

jholcomb

Good news, I got my catheter out today. Feels weird but good weird. Another milestone finally passed.

ivbenaplayin

Good news, I got my catheter out today. Feels weird but good weird. Another milestone finally passed.

Congrats man! Best wishes & prayers comin' your way from MN for continued good health! My dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of weeks ago...he had beencancer free for 6 years after having colon cancer surgery. Cancer Sucks!

jholcomb

Congrats man! Best wishes & prayers comin' your way from MN for continued good health! My dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of weeks ago...he had beencancer free for 6 years after having colon cancer surgery. Cancer Sucks!

Thanks!

Good luck and Godspeed to your Dad and your family!

Powman

Reading your post jholcomb prompted me to do some quick research on prostate cancer.

Number of deaths due to prostate cancer per year in US: 32,050
Number of deaths due to breast cancer: 39,840 (female); 390 (male)

Pretty darn close. Yet we hear about breast cancer far more. But note that if caught in its early stage, prostate cancer can be cured in 90% of the cases.

So lets raise awareness and stop being so squeamish about the exam.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Top Bottom