• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

johan_nkpg

Hi,

After 28 years of dreaming of owning a Stingray I recently bought a '78. I'm really happy with it, it sounds and feels great. However the original preamp have been replaced with a Bartolini TC3, and the two tone controls are not in any way connected. There is a 3-position switch which only functions as a on/off switch. Hence, there is not much versatility tone-wise. (I also got the original preamp, a Black Epoxy Type 2, when I bought the bass but one of the capacitators (?) seems to be broken)

So my questions are:

1. Is the TC3 even suitable for a Stingray? Any opinions on it?
2. Is there a way to connect the tone Control pots?

I'm not all that good at electronics, but I did look in the wiring diagrams for the TC3 and can not find anything that looks like the wiring in my bass. Also googled around a bit, but couldn't anything about using a TC3 in a Stingray.

If it turns out that the tone controls aren't possible to connect, I will definitely consider replacing the TC3.

Thanks in advance,

Johan
(Sweden)

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 154
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 164

brash47

I'd definitely try to get an original MM setup back in there. But!!! If that is not the option, it's cost prohibitive, or you want a very easy do it yourself where its a plug and play situation...

I'd go EMG. I've had them in many basses in the past, they are literally like putting a set of legos in your bass. Screw the pick up in, plug in the pickups to the pots. No soldering required.

And another fine California company up here in Northern Cali.

My 3 cents....I gave ya an extra cent...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Rod Trussbroken

IMO I would go back to the original Sting Ray circuitry and discard the Bartolini.

I think your black epoxy preamp may be easily fixed but can tell for sure if you have a pic of it looking directly down over the whole board.

In any event, a replacement preamp is available from Ernie Ball but you have to forfeit your original to them in exchange. The replacement is not coated in black epoxy but it's still in keeping with your Bass as they began deleting it in 1978 any way. The control pots are also available from them if any need replacing.

Customer Service email is:
[email protected]

tbonesullivan

I also would definitely look to have that original preamp fixed and/or replaced with a real Music Man version. With the epoxy version there is unfortunately not much that can be done for repairs, unless somehow the coating is removed, which is close to impossible.

johan_nkpg

Thank you for your answers everyone. I have now e-mailed customer service at Ernie Ball and will await their reply before doing anything else.

In the meantime I continue to spend hours on end enjoying the fattest, crispiest sound I have ever experienced, with a big smile on my face! Great to finally be part of the Stingray family:)

/Johan

johan_nkpg

So I just sent away the broken preamp all the way to California in order to exchange it for an original one. 50$ or something like that - fair deal if you ask me. Looking forward to try it in a few weeks or whenever it arrives.

tbonesullivan

I am pretty sure the replacement won't have the epoxy, so if something ever goes on it, fixing it will be far easier. I think pretty much everyone has given up on using the epoxy to protect their designs.

Top Bottom