• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Johno_85

Hello & greetings from England! This is my first ever post! I’ve looked on the interwebs & am getting mixed results.

Now I know the bass as an active preamp (9V battery etc), but can anyone answer me the question of: are the pickups active or passive? :confused:

Thank you!

Golem

Having seen the real innards and some wiring drawings for various MMs, I have never seen power delivered to the PUs.

tbonesullivan

Passive. I'm not sure how many companies besides EMG make bass pickups with a preamp built into the actual pickup.

Johno_85

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! Active circuitry, passive pickups! Question answered! =D

brash47

I would say.....passive.....passive aggressive!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Johno_85

Another question if anyone wouldn’t mind? I’ve used basses with active pickups in them for years, (Fender, Sadowsky) on the amp setting would you push the pad button in (-15dbs) or not with these?

Thanks!!!

drTStingray

I don't with a normal Stingray but anything with 18 volt electronics (eg Bongo or Stingray Special) I would. The reason is you would need to set the input at a level to avoid it clipping - a normal Stingray, unless played incredibly aggressively, doesn't clip at reasonable input levels - I've found with basses with 18 volt electronics they will clip earlier - so using the pad button can help then.

Presuming the Ray 34 is very similar to a Stingray I wouldn't use the pad button but experiment for yourself and see what suits you.

Johno_85

I don't with a normal Stingray but anything with 18 volt electronics (eg Bongo or Stingray Special) I would. The reason is you would need to set the input at a level to avoid it clipping - a normal Stingray, unless played incredibly aggressively, doesn't clip at reasonable input levels - I've found with basses with 18 volt electronics they will clip earlier - so using the pad button can help then.

Presuming the Ray 34 is very similar to a Stingray I wouldn't use the pad button but experiment for yourself and see what suits you.

Thank you very much, Is the first time I’ve had a bass with passive pickups, Every day is a school day, thank you for the information most kind of you

Johno_85

Might be a good idea to use the pad, I play aggressively with a pick, Jason Newsted style.

Top Bottom