• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

joeballs

I've done a bit of searching on the forum but haven't found the solution to the weak G string output issue. Can someone point me to the fix? I'm pretty sure it's a setup issue, but want to see how others solved this problem. Thanks

73jbass

You just said you're pretty sure it's a setup issue, so, do a proper setup to factory specs and see what your results are.

Jim C

I have an 83' and a 2008.
I believe the following:
* The G is not weak in output but rather it does not have as much bottom to be heard when playing alone
* A proper set up fixes 95% of this; start with the recommended tolerances and adjust as necessary
* Amp EQ can play a big function; a smiley face EQ accentuates the problem; low to upper mids are your friends
* Right hand technique also can solve this problem; I good player on a P bass alters his right hand technique for a weak C# or D on the G string; I change my right hand technique on my SR's when I'm way up the neck on the G strings (which is not that often as the first 5 frets is where the money is)
* While it may sound thin in front of your amp, check a live recording of your band; it's usually not at all noticeable

IMO/IME

LeftyBongo

Don't forget the power of a compressor. I never leave home without one. I use an EBS pedal just to event out any volume difference between strings and to even out dynamics. Sound men will love you for it.

joeballs

You just said you're pretty sure it's a setup issue, so, do a proper setup to factory specs and see what your results are.

The bass is already at factory specs. That's why I searched for a solution to the problem in the first place. So after seaching online, I saw that it is quite a popular problem for this particular model. I've seen a vid on youtube where a guy pushes down all the pickup poles except for the G string and then tilts the pickup towards the G. He said this fixed it for him (i.e. specific setup, not factory specs). So I was just trying to see if everyone else has fixed the problem this way before I did it myself. But it looks like no one here has experienced the issue. But you all made a good attempt at guessing!

uOpt

Factory specs or not, what do people expect would need to be adjusted?

String up at least for a test so that it doesn't fret out, adjust the pickup distance. Not much more you can do setup-wise to specifically wake up the G string.

joeballs

Factory specs or not, what do people expect would need to be adjusted?

String up at least for a test so that it doesn't fret out, adjust the pickup distance. Not much more you can do setup-wise to specifically wake up the G string.

Yeah, I did that. Unfortunately, if you do just the pickup distance, the A and E string get a little louder too. So I think I'll have to mess with the pickup poles. Something I was hoping I didn't have to do.

Golem

Yeah, I did that. Unfortunately, if you do just the pickup distance,
the A and E string get a little louder too. So I think I'll have to mess
with the pickup poles. Something I was hoping I didn't have to do.

Thaz true if you do just the overall DISTANCE. You gotta tilt it,
so it's higher on the G side but lower on the E side. This works
for my std SRs and should work even better for a Classic. I do
hafta compromise a bit about raising the G side of the PU cuz
the D string will also get louder, but not as much as the G due
to the geometry involved. With the tighter neck radius of the
Classic, your D string should be higher than your G, as is mine
but mine is less so, due to a flatter neck radius.

Last edited:

uOpt

Yeah, I did that. Unfortunately, if you do just the pickup distance, the A and E string get a little louder too. So I think I'll have to mess with the pickup poles. Something I was hoping I didn't have to do.

Yeah. So regardless of what some people here say. For any given same distance between string and pickup, same pickup position, and as long as the string doesn't hit the frets and the bridge saddle is good, a weak string is in the wood.

You can compensate for it with higher pickup poles of course, but chances are that the sustain isn't stellar either.

You can try one of those sustainer weights for the headstock which some people use to fix dead spots.

cellkirk74

Also you might want to change strings? I had that issue with some strings and not with others. In the end you can fix it the best with adjusting your technique. It also has to do with the EQ. The closer you stay to a flat setup, the less it will be.

But most important, it is not a problem in the mix.

drTStingray

There is a big tendency amongst bass players and particularly those who are used to playing basses of that famous make whose tone controls operate like on off switches to max the EQ on 2 band Rays. Sounds v nice but standing next to your amp this will sound scooped and will accentuate the sound of your E and A strings - however as has been said the audience is unlikely to hear this and a recording probably wouldn't. Roll back your bass EQ a bit and you will hear the mids come back.

Scooping the amp sound could contribute to the effect.

And you should find a well EQd and skillfully played 2 EQ Ray will provide you with one of the best fit all genre classic bass sounds known to mankind!!!

oli@bass

It may sound silly and counter-intuitive, but... instead of trying to move the pickup/pole pieces closer to the G string, try moving the whole PU *further* from the strings. That will even out the volumes, and also reduce the magnetic pull on the strings which may be the cause for a weak G string.

zortation

It may sound silly and counter-intuitive, but... instead of trying to move the pickup/pole pieces closer to the G string, try moving the whole PU *further* from the strings. That will even out the volumes, and also reduce the magnetic pull on the strings which may be the cause for a weak G string.

If you have a single pickup bass set the pickup height to 6/32" from the plastic pickup cover to the bottom of the G string. Adjust the bass side of the pickup to be level with the pickguard.

How do I set up my Music Man bass?

:confused::confused:

Golem

`

Yowzah !!!

I HEAR it !

You were soooooooo right on :)

Can we make this a sticky ?

Now, about my D-string ......

Top Bottom