• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

CaseyR

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Axis which appears to have developed concave bow after sitting unplayed for a number of years. I attempted to do a truss rod adjustment by turning the carousel wheel clockwise in gradual increments over a period of days, however, the wheel seems to just keep turning without having any effect on the neck. Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Casey

CaseyR

Right now, you should just turn it until it engages to see if it works at all. If everything is in good condition, you cannot break anything without using real force so feel free to turn as many times as is necessary.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Hopefully I can get it to engage.

CaseyR

Looks like it worked! I did one full turn counter-clockwise and one full turn clockwise and the truss rod was functional again. It now looks pretty close to its original action. I got to a point where there was a fair bit of resistance, so I stopped. Wasn't sure if I should try still turn it slightly? Anyway, thanks again for both of your insights. For quite some time I figured that the neck needed some major work done and it just sat on a stand, so this is a huge relief. It will definitely be nice to play it again after several years.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
See, I'm not just a pretty face. :)

Remember folks, truss rod adjustments are safer and easier than making a toasted sandwich and you can adjust as often as needed. Some resistance is absolutely fine, if you get the neck relief you require all is good.

fbecir

Casey,

I am happy that you find a solution. Kevin (DrKev) knows a lot about guitar.
But now you have to follow the golden rule of this forum : where a re the pictures of your guitar ???

CaseyR

For sure! Here's a few. I bought the Axis from a collector on eBay back in 2008, I believe. I had always liked the solid colored ones, especially the gloss black. When I finally found this one with the birdseye, I figured it was the one for me. Definitely one of my favorite guitars.

Attachments

• 20210524_110911-1.jpg
    20210524_110911-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210524_110646 (2) (3).jpg
    20210524_110646 (2) (3).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210524_110718 (1).jpg
    20210524_110718 (1).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 64

xjbebop

Tip - be sure to keep proper string tension at all times. Tune it up to pitch on a regular basis (or even a wee bit higher if it's not going to be played for a while).
I've learned this the hard way myself over the years...

xjbebop

btw - that's a beauty! Great guitars!
I finally got a great deal on a semi-hollow a few years back because it was "boring black" ;)
I think it's beautiful, and it's one of my top playing & sounding guitars.
I learned a long time ago that fancy woods and colors don't equal great instruments.
They sure are pretty to look at though...
QxfmIox.jpg

GWDavis28

btw - that's a beauty! Great guitars!
I finally got a great deal on a semi-hollow a few years back because it was "boring black" ;)
I think it's beautiful, and it's one of my top playing & sounding guitars.
I learned a long time ago that fancy woods and colors don't equal great instruments.
They sure are pretty to look at though...
QxfmIox.jpg

Nice!!!!!! And I concur with your statement. But black can be boring at times. Now throw a little fleck in there and well that's one of the classiest colors out there.

Glenn |B)

CaseyR

Thanks for the tip, and so true! I think it has the nicest finish of any of my guitars (tricky to photograph without getting reflections hah). Love the semi-hollow btw! The body style definitely lends itself well to either solid or semi-hollow.

xjbebop

Nice!!!!!! And I concur with your statement. But black can be boring at times. Now throw a little fleck in there and well that's one of the classiest colors out there.

Glenn |B)

Won't argue with that!
Have you ever seen Ford's "Tuxedo Black" paint in the sunlight? It's amazing!

xjbebop

I first saw it 5+ ?? years ago... no idea if they still use it or if it's still the same. Back then, in person, up close, it had a rainbow of colored flecks in it...

GWDavis28

I first saw it 5+ ?? years ago... no idea if they still use it or if it's still the same. Back then, in person, up close, it had a rainbow of colored flecks in it...

That's what Black Magic Crystal looked like as well!!!

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom