• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JoeLui89

Warped Tour Doubts (Battle of the Bands)

I am from the Sandiego area, and id like to ask a couple of questions about the contest and i would like an honest answer...

i have been voting for this band "5 More Days" and every day i would go to vote, they would be in the top bands each week...

but i saw the pics you had for the winners and its a bit doubtfull really:

mondays alibi was a real pain because...they dont have everything to even enter the contest and according to me, they have to at least have a song on their profile, and they dont...

then one of the other bands isnt even in the area...>_> biiig bull

then this...

"Starting 02/29/08 Fans will determine which bands will be eligible to win by VOTING for all eligible bands. The Top 20 voted bands in each city, will be reviewed by an industry panel of judges. Four bands will be selected out of the eligible 20 to play live in their hometown on the 2008 Vans Warped Tour."

"Upon registering as a band on the site, your band is given the ability to select a battle to join, and a venue that you'd most like to play at. After that is selected, your fans will need to vote for you to get you in top consideration to play on the tour. The Top 20 bands BY VOTES for each venue will be considered to play live."

none of the bands that won, never appeared in top voted...was there another chart that i was not aware of?....

i dont know if it was a problem of the band not checking messages, i dont really know, but this is a real problem for earnie ball, and other contests, you should really detail them out to other bands and in your page, cause it may cause confusion...

and im gonna guess every vote they made was a waste, and those bands that won, didnt struggle...

Edit*:

i assume there was another contest held for this OUTSIDE from the site of battle of the bands, but didnt it require you to enter that site to register to even win the contest?...it seems absurd

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Joe

First off you have edited your message and still spell our name wrong.

Ok now you have us.....We are absurd and hurting people because we didnt pick your or your brother or neighbors band....How about if you support another company that spends a fortune giving thousands of bands the opportunity to play live and post their music for free.....Oh wait....there isnt another one. How about sorry we didnt make it but thanks for the opportunity?

CAN'T PICK EVERYONE,,,,,,,,

kevin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Hi Joe,

I believe the voting totals that you were viewing were located on the Battle of The Bands homepage which are totals for all of the bands on the website. The fans vote for their favorite band.....once voting is complete our panel of industry judges will review the top 20 bands from each city. At this point the winners that are chosen are completely picked for and decided by the judges based on muscianship and the ability to draw in a live setting. While 5 More Days did receive credit and caught the eye of our judges unfortunately they didn't end up being one of the top 4 bands as voted on by the panel of judges. Please let the boys know that they did do well and there are often some tough decisions that have to be made. Feel free to e-mail me direct if you have any other questions.

-Kevin
[email protected]

JoeLui89

i can truly understand how you cannot pick everyone and i can understand all your reasons. but some of these other bands too were also appearing in the top voted a lot more than those...when you announced the winning bands, i didnt even recognize them at all...:O

but i guess the band didnt really care if they didnt win then :(...but it would have been nice...

thnx for the reply...

and what did i spell wrong? xD

koogie2k

Maybe next time. Every band and their fans think they are the best band out there. I do...I believe my band is one of the best...but...reality is...not all bands "make it" or win all the contests. It is a tough business and it is not a forgiving business. If the band you favor is that good...their time will come. :cool:

Colin

Hey Joe welcome to the forum. Make sure you stick around and please post some pics of your guitars (Earnie Ball of course ;)) :)

JoeLui89

i was just informed that one of the bands just entered a press kit and they won...=O...so they didnt need to vote?

how can they do this for the next contest?? cause they didn't know where they sent it, their manager did it :O...just wanna know, so it would be easier than just voting and i can just tell em where to send it.. >_>..

Mikey

Put your disappointment aside and start talking about guitars!
That's what this place is for!!!

koogie2k

Joe....was it your band that did not make it?

Kevin said if you had more questions to e-mail him. He works for EBMM and is a stand up guy...I know....met him several times....so...be nice.

So...back to the forum.....guitars/basses....do you own any EBMM? If so, post a pick. If not...go buy one. :p

Big Poppa

WHy are you looking at other bands instead of looking at your band? Work harder...keep writing songs and maybe it wont even be close next year....."BUt johnny got candy and I didnt"

Smellybum

To all the those who think the world owes them a living: -

Guys, you are so lucky with battle of the bands and warped, in my part of the world there's halls full of bands that rarely make it out or garages or halls -becuase they're too young to play in bars, and any festivals are aimed towards traditional music rather than the stuff they play.

It's very frustrating for someone at my time of life seeing kids who had the same passions and driv as I did back then stuck in rehersal rooms becuase nobody gives them a chance. - How about those who get those oppertunities take a reality check, have some respect for Poppa, and be mindful of your surroundings.

The only way you'd get a gig like this in my part of the world would be to self-finance and promote -(and the last time I checked the average income for folks in working bands ain't that high) - grow up and it wouldn't hurt to say thank you now and again

Rant over.

Smelly

douglasspears

not sure why everyone (except Kevin) is jumping all over Joe and saying he's whining. It just seems like he's seeing a contradiction between the way the contest rules were laid out, and how the judging/results were actually carried out.

I'm not familiar with the Battle or the rules, but just from reading this thread, it seems like Joe read and understood the rules of how the contest would be run, took time to vote and promote a band (his, a friend's, a brother's...who cares), and feels his efforts were in vain due to the contest rules not being adhered to.

Am I missing something here?

And not to beleager the issue, but why should he not be able to talk about this here (being a non-guitar issue)? This is an EBMM forum, he seems to have a valid question about an EBMM event, and posted it in the EB Special Events section.

koogie2k

Never said he was whining. Just pointing out that a lot of great bands don't get on the Warped Tour. This happens every year and on here where questions are asked as to why "my band or my buddies band did not get selected". Big Poppa gets dumped on because "Band X" did not get the slot and blame him for it. He provides them with an avenue to have their music heard along with promotion of that band (even if they don't make it) on his dime. There are literally thousands of bands that try to get those few spots. Yet, those thousands of bands get free publicity and a shot. It is like the lottery...not everyone wins it.

Kevin simply pointed out to e-mail him to answer any questions. There is a reason for this. That reason could very well be to keep this from getting out of hand (as it has in the past) and to keep this forum mainly about the EBMM product line. Yes, there are OT subjects and I have been guilty of starting them myself. The Battle of the Bands is a great tool for many bands to use. Airing out grievances on this forum only gets ugly and starts a flame war. This section is for talking about events....not complaining about them. Not to say Joe did that either...just he did not seem to understand how the process works. I believe (could be wrong) that there is a forum for this on another site.

Big Poppa gets many PM's (which he has politely asked people not to do), e-mails and threats on his own forum. Not too cool. Not to say Joe did that. But, Kevin is providing a means of communication to help him understand how things are and how the process works.

Honestly, I hope he sticks around...this is a great forum with a lot of great people.

Hope that helps answer you question from my vantage point. :cool:

kevin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Hey guys...lets let this thread die. If anybody has any questions at all about the battle please do not hesitate to email me. I actively check my emails and will get right back to you with an answer. All bands that were chosen most certainly had profile, and no bands were chosen via press kit. The battle rules are laid out in detail on our website(Battle Of The Bands). Hope everybody has a good weekend. Here's my address again just in case:

[email protected]

Cheers!

Big Poppa

I love the fact that the one defender give the benefit of the doubt to the kid that wont let it die because he didnt get picked....Maybe both of you should re read the rules and then comment....its pretty clear...

Also I get a little testy as I have financed this thing for 13 years and well over 100,000 bands have at the very least had their music hosted and promoted....5,000 bands have had the chance to play on a state of the art stage at zero cost to them

Colin

Dear Mr Poppa

Could you please explain why the band "Colin and the Colin-ettes" have been excluded from this event?

Regards
Colin (one of the Colin-ettes)

JoeLui89

doug got it right on the dot...i just didn't know some band could unofficially enter the contest in a positive way and win it all, but i am aware of this now, and i bet i am not the only one who is bothered by this and posted loads of comments in the battle of the bands page, if you have not seen them...

and i just saw the title of battle of the bands on here so i posted, didn't know it wasn't meant for discussion...

I am not here to bother or anything or to send threatening emails to someone, i just wanted a question answered :(...cause it was very frustating waiting for the date to come by and when it did, it was really surprising...didnt see it coming

but i guess i cant do anything about it now, they arent playing and thats that, they even had a video of some chick telling people how to vote for them xD haha you should check it out...

and i guess ill stick around, but i only buy strings from ernie, and i always break em =(...too skinny ones around here...

and i think you can close this now if you want :O...

Last edited:
Top Bottom