• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ohbugger

I saw him during that first summer tour that he did in the Ringo band and he used the goldie Luke II on 2 or 3 songs, but that's been 6 years ago now.

When I saw Toto in 2017, he also used the gold Luke II on one or two songs.

Kriskauf

As a newer electric player and having bought a used Luke II (LOVE IT!) I'm not able to tell which pickups are selected in each position, I just pick the sound I like for a particular song. I know the fender strat SSS positions, but not quite sure how that translates to the Luke 2 HSS setup. And for the Luke 1,2, and 3 models with HSS layouts has that switching remained consistent? Sorry for such newbie questions.

2007 Luke 2
2012 Gretsch 5120
2017 Squier 50's vibe tele
1972 Epiphone Caballero FT130 SB

JasonT

The True Gold Luke had EMG-X pickups, and was the transition from the Luke II with active EMG pups to the LIII with passive pups. Also, the LIII was the first time you could get 2 humbuckers on a Lukather model.

Somewhat recently (last year or so?) the pups in the LIII changed from DiMarzio to EBMM pups. Current LIII models come with the EBMM designed pups.

Also, the original LIII models had the db boost on the tone knob. That changed so it’s now on the volume knob, which I find more useful.

GWDavis28

As a newer electric player and having bought a used Luke II (LOVE IT!) I'm not able to tell which pickups are selected in each position, I just pick the sound I like for a particular song. I know the fender strat SSS positions, but not quite sure how that translates to the Luke 2 HSS setup. And for the Luke 1,2, and 3 models with HSS layouts has that switching remained consistent? Sorry for such newbie questions.

2007 Luke 2
2012 Gretsch 5120
2017 Squier 50's vibe tele
1972 Epiphone Caballero FT130 SB
Nice man, the Luke II's are great guitars, though not everyone loves EMG's. I had one loved it and sold it like a dope. I have a set of the Luke pups I'm hoping to put in a Silo Special myself. I believe the positions are the same a Str@t for the switching.

Glenn |B)

Rbg

Digging the old thread... I am educating myself about this model of EBMM and differences between the models. I have a question that I for some reason can not find an answer on the fourm. In the later days of LII Luke used a neck pickup with the magnet poles visible on his sparkle black guitar. As the rest of the pickups were EMGs I assume the neck was not passive as well. Any ideas what it was? (Can be found on the Falling in between live, live with Carlton and more). Thanks!

Attachments

• l2-pup.png
    l2-pup.png
    561.6 KB · Views: 8

GoKart Mozart

Digging the old thread... I am educating myself about this model of EBMM and differences between the models. I have a question that I for some reason can not find an answer on the fourm. In the later days of LII Luke used a neck pickup with the magnet poles visible on his sparkle black guitar. As the rest of the pickups were EMGs I assume the neck was not passive as well. Any ideas what it was? (Can be found on the Falling in between live, live with Carlton and more). Thanks!

The black sparkle had a Fernandes Sustainer. He still uses it occasionally.

Rbg

Thank you so much. Educated myself and found a couple of discussions over here: lukather neck pickup?

Back to L versions topic: I’ve never used active pickups, but looks like fishman and emg came up with some single coil-like pickups since L2 times: fluence and retro-active.

robochimp

I used to have a Luke II. I have a III now, but miss the II. Does anyone know what years the LII came with a compensated nut?

Top Bottom