• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Just wondering why everyone seems to change the pickguard on the trans-white StingRay? I must have lucked out -- I walked into a music store back in '93 and just happened on a trans-white StinRay hanging on the wall. Never thought much about it until I was trying to find out more specifics on my 20th Anniversary and kept running into info about this "rare" finish. I emailed Ernie Ball with my serial number and here what they had to say about it:

David,

There were less than 35 production pieces made in the Trans White "Mary Kay White" - all of them were made in 1993-94. Less than 10 of those were like yours - 3-band EQ with a rosewood fretboard.

Best Regards,

Dan McPherson
Music Man Customer Service
Electric Guitar Strings, Acoustic Guitar Strings, Bass Strings, and Guitar Accessories | Ernie Ball
866-82-EBALL ext. 126

And to think, I have kept it because I have always just liked the way it loks and plays! I have gigged with it quite a bit and will continue to do so, but I might be a bit more careful now ;-)

My original tortoise pickguard did the same, the upper layer lifted where the PG meets the fretboard. Maybe there was an issue with that particular batch?

Peter

Smallmouth_Bass

How about this one?! ;) View attachment 33972

Peter

That is transparent white "Mary Kay White". I had one just like it (sold it with a non-original pickguard just like that one). Maybe it is the same one as they only made less than 10 in that configuration and less than 35 production pieces.

Yup, check it out earlier in this thread (post #226):
http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-b...11316-colour-ebmm-bass-finishes-guide-16.html

They have since had other production runs with transparent white, but the originals are rare.

Last edited:
Hi Smallmouth!

I bought this one in Denver 1997, just got the manufacturing date on the other thread, made in 1994.
Never saw any other bass in this color, and then it popped up on me the other week on this forum! Glad it is a rare one! Fantastic bass!

Peter

Last edited:

shatral

Paul, thats a bad pic. My local store had a FER. Think Crayola crayon color red-orange. Looked really great in person, but one of only 3 Ive seen in that finish.

amper

Here's my 2000 Transparent Gold with Matching Headstock:

file-jan-10-18-30-03.jpeg

amper

And this is a limited edition from a few years ago that I am still kicking myself for not buying, I think it was called "Graphite Black Ice", or something to that effect, maybe around 2014? According to the seller on Reverb, the serial number is E44xxx, so maybe EBMM can tell us exactly what the color is:

arlkfqh9xapxtwkcpzec.jpg

Doing some checking around the serial number thread, I'm guessing this is actually a 2004-2005 "Graphite Pearl" with "Black Ice" pickguard.

Last edited:

wfavero

What do you think the odds are that we can get some counts.? Maybe set up a poll to get us moving in the right direction.

StringJay

Here are my 2008 sequoia gold and 2012 gilded white (the neck is painted white too!) limited editions. Also attached is my 'blue' Stingray Classic5 from 2010. Does anyone know the proper name of this finish?

Attachments

• Gouden duo.jpg
    Gouden duo.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 275

Gen Hashiba

Hello, Rod
Thank you for your comment.
I look forward to working with you.
This Brown Stingray is awesome.

itsratso

mm.jpg

a friend is looking for this color, anybody know? sorry if it's already been posted here.

*edit: it's trans amber

Last edited:

DanTM

The EBMM colour policy is just frustrating. Last year they offered my dream bass - the Sterling 4HH in Firemist Purple.

Now I have the money but this and all other Firemist colours are discontinued.

Why do they offer colours just for a year and then discontinue them? Do they want to disappoint their customers on purpose?

This really makes me angry. That wasn't a special limited run. The Sterling 4HH is a standard product in their catalogue and I dont believe that they can not mix Firemist Purple in their spraying booth anymore.

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
Why do they offer colours just for a year and then discontinue them? Do they want to disappoint their customers on purpose?

Well, that's certainly one way to look at it, isn't it?

If a color is popular and sells nicely, it will probably remain in the line-up. I, possibly like you, happen to enjoy the oddball or garish, gaudy finishes. Unfortunately for folks like us, the vast majority of the bass buying public likes stuff like....black. Or natural. Or sunburst. Red seems really out there to them.

I mean, I have an orange sparkle Albert Lee guitar and an Emerald Green Sparkle Bongo. Pretty sure I can't be trusted to have input on next year's color schemes.

So it sucks when a color you wanted goes extinct, but we can be pretty sure that a new interesting color will show up every January at NAMM. Meanwhile, there is the used market.

Sorry about your purple firemist, though.

Jack

Top Bottom