• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tj1

I'd assume that with Covid, many more people have got used to ordering guitars, unseen, over the net.

I a not sure what the retailer's mark up is, but it must be considerable.

Whilst there may always be a role or shops or showrooms I think it is only a matter of time before a major manufacturer starts selling direct to the public. Not only would this cut a sizable % from the cost it would enable them to be much more in touch with the customer.

The disadvantages might be that of alienating large retailers, also I imagine the hassle of the customer service end of dealing with complaints/returns should not be underestimated.

But I would rather go direct to say Martin Co or Ernie Ball knowing that all my cash was going to the company that actually made the instrument not to various intermediaries - it's psychological.

Pink

I cannot see high volume companies selling directly, unless it’s through a custom shop. They’d have to halt orders every few weeks/months just to keep up with demand like some of the smaller pickup winders have done over the past year.

$0.02

Dynaglideclyde

Carvin/Keisel has been doing this for over 50 years. Get their catalogue. Made in California with good quality, you can choose your build from many options. Their necks seem good, but I find the pickups a little thin.

xjbebop

Carvin/Keisel has been doing this for over 50 years. Get their catalogue. Made in California with good quality, you can choose your build from many options. Their necks seem good, but I find the pickups a little thin.
This... I've owned quite a few Carvin guitars & basses over the years. Getting their catalogs in the mail every few months was better than the old Sears 'wish book' when we were kids...
It's a shame the family split up and the Carvin side is no more...

edhalen

This... I've owned quite a few Carvin guitars & basses over the years. Getting their catalogs in the mail every few months was better than the old Sears 'wish book' when we were kids...
It's a shame the family split up and the Carvin side is no more...
What was the quality like as compared to what we’re used to around here if I may ask. I know this isn’t a Carvin/Keisel forum but it seems like a fair question. If I’m out of line asking my apologies.

xjbebop

What was the quality like as compared to what we’re used to around here if I may ask. I know this isn’t a Carvin/Keisel forum but it seems like a fair question. If I’m out of line asking my apologies.
Being this is the EBMM forum, I'll keep this short - I lived near the Carvin factory for some time, and visited the show room often. Their wood and build quality was top notch. The electronics were good, but I like the older pickups better than the newer ones. Their basses were/are outstanding... pro level.
I've bought, sold, traded, repaired & modded, and owned literally hundreds of electric guitars over the years. I'll admit, Mrs. Bebop and myself are more collectors than players, and "guitar safari" was our hobby for many years when we had good incomes. Still have a few PRS, which rarely get played, along with way more other brands than we need...
All that being said, Music Man instruments have been my personal favorite and go-to's for the last 10 years or so...
And most of you know my very most favorite... ;)

ANf5t2E.jpg

DrewH

US guitar companies will eventually have to sell direct out of necessity. Incomes have not nearly kept up with music instrument inflation. Look at how much the Majesty has gone up in price since introduction. Has your income gone up that much? That's not even figuring for drastic inflation in cost of living. Since someone mentioned PRS, they just raised prices AGAIN. I believe the price of a 10 top Custom 24 is now $5,000.

I've been saying this for years. The next major recession is going to either wipe out or change how most US base manufacturers do business. If we get a whopper like 08 was, and that is possible at this point, you'll see the first major manufacturer scrap dealers and go 100% direct to customer. If they don't, you could see companies cease to exist. Deutsche Bank just issued a pretty sobering economic warning. It's coming.

alf cockle

Firstly..I love EBMM guitars...Have played em for 22 plus years..pure joy...gotta say..Godin guitars out of Canada are the most underpriced,high quality guitars out there.the closest things to ebmm guitars ,in all aspects...except that the dollar exchange makes them absurdly inexpensive.I,m just glad I bought my musicman guitars when nobody wanted em..they,re the best..never needed tuning..just played like a best friend...

Top Bottom