• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BrickGlass

Went to put a new input jack in my BFR Luke (which is based off a Luke II) and noticed it is some weird plastic 4 prong piece of garbage. Cheap plastic parts on an input jack of a really expensive guitar? Asinine plastic stuff aside, what is up with the 4 prongs? Never seen anything like it. Only ever seen 3 prongs.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The plastic is not load bearing and is perfectly suited to the job. When there is no engineering or electrical need for a metallic conductive casing, plastic is the better choice.

It's a TRS jack, so it will have at least three terminals. The ring is used to connect and disconnect the battery when the cable is in or out. The four conductor jacks can come in many configuration for additional switching options depending on the circuit requirements (double tip, tip open and tip closed, tip open ring closed, etc). Rather than have separate stock of 3 prong and 4 prong varieties, it often makes more sense to have just one type that meets the needs of all guitars.

Don't post while drunk? 🙂

Last edited:

BrickGlass

The plastic is not load bearing and is perfectly suited to the job. When there is no engineering or electrical need for a metallic conductive casing, plastic is the better choice.

It's a TRS jack, so it will have at least three terminals. The ring is used to connect and disconnect the battery when the cable is in or out. The four conductor jacks can come in many configuration for additional switching options depending on the circuit requirements (double tip, tip open and tip closed, tip open ring closed, etc). Rather than have separate stock of 3 prong and 4 prong varieties, it often makes more sense to have just one type that meets the needs of all guitars.

Don't post while drunk? 🙂
I see they've now abandoned the 4 prong weirdness and now only offer 3 prong ones.

Literally never had a single sip of alcohol in my life. Alcoholic father took any interest in that away really quickly.

What makes plastic better Dr? Does it have something to do with some kind of noise elimination? Just seems and feels like the cheapest piece of junk input jack I've ever seen. Was pretty surprising, so I took it to my buddy that does repairs at a local store and he thought the same thing. Cheap and garbage. And to be fair...they are indeed cheap. $4 for a replacement. Shipping will probably be more than the part. Haha.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I see they've now abandoned the 4 prong weirdness and now only offer 3 prong ones.

Literally never had a single sip of alcohol in my life. Alcoholic father took any interest in that away really quickly.

What makes plastic better Dr? Does it have something to do with some kind of noise elimination? Just seems and feels like the cheapest piece of junk input jack I've ever seen. Was pretty surprising, so I took it to my buddy that does repairs at a local store and he thought the same thing. Cheap and garbage. And to be fair...they are indeed cheap. $4 for a replacement. Shipping will probably be more than the part. Haha.
My apologies for the alcohol quip. Whether I knew your history nor not, I should not have made any assumptions that it would be taken with the humor intended and I stupidly didn't anticipate history. That was my bad and I'm sorry.

Input/output jacks are stupidly simple and even the cheap ones fail less often than some expensive cables. What material we wrap them in has virtually zero effect on anything. It's not even necessary to wrap them plastic or metal other than keeping out unwanted dust or dirt. Plastic is cheaper, and easier and less energy intensive to make, less likely to cause a short circuit in production or use and if we don't require shielding (in guitars we really don't over that short inch or two) then there is no reason not to use plastic. Don't let appearances and old superstitions cause you worry. Cheap looking things can be perfectly good. (Like me! 🙂 )

nervous

My apologies for the alcohol quip. Whether I knew your history nor not, I should not have made any assumptions that it would be taken with the humor intended and I stupidly didn't anticipate history. That was my bad and I'm sorry.

Input/output jacks are stupidly simple and even the cheap ones fail less often than some expensive cables. What material we wrap them in has virtually zero effect on anything. It's not even necessary to wrap them plastic or metal other than keeping out unwanted dust or dirt. Plastic is cheaper, and easier and less energy intensive to make, less likely to cause a short circuit in production or use and if we don't require shielding (in guitars we really don't over that short inch or two) then there is no reason not to use plastic. Don't let appearances and old superstitions cause you worry. Cheap looking things can be perfectly good. (Like me! 🙂 )
Not to pile on but my .02 was initially similar to the OP. It's an impression thing more than anything else I guess. Everything else I own, BAsses or guitars including my two older Axis all sport standard Switchcraft TS or TRS jacks and they always interact with a very positive engagement click. My two 23 Y.O. Silo Specials both have their ORIGINAL plastic jacks, still going strong. And while it initially concerned me your explanations, and now my limited experiences, certainly quell those. The do engage a bit softer so I can also see where that might raise an eyebrow if you're used to the Switchcraft engagement.

And, technically, they are OUTPUT jacks

Last edited:
Top Bottom