• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

Hey everyone,

I'm so happy that things in New Mexico are really opening up. This last year and a half has been an extremely hard one for the world. I lost my dream job in March of last year and went through some serious depression through pretty much the rest of the year. While many were writing and putting out new material into the world, I could barely pick up a guitar.

About three weeks ago, I interviewed for a front desk job at Meow Wolf (my previous employer) just hoping to get my foot back in the door. After that interview, I received a call saying they would be hiring performers again soon. I emailed my former supervisor and . . . . crickets, for weeks. Then, after a call saying I didn't get the other job, I got an email the next day from my boss telling me they wanted me back in the venue and I start back Thursday.

Clearly, there were talks behind the scenes about where to have me, whether the Front Desk job or as a Performer. Well, things worked out! :) For those who haven't visited Meow Wolf, it is an interactive art exhibition (the best way to put it) that is truly unique. We have a new spot in Las Vegas and another exhibit opening in Denver too.

For my gig, I have a DJ/Noise cart where I spend usually 4-6 hours making noise and entertaining literally thousands of people every day. It is truly a dream gig if there ever was one. This year, I'm starting with 3-4 hour performances because as a few of you know, I suffer from chronic pain from numerous issues with my neck. It is debilitating much of my time and this job gives me the chance to make music with a schedule that works with my limitations.

Needless to say, I take my Cutlass often and walk around improvising or just being 'weird', which is pretty much the theme of the whole place. I'm super excited to get back out there and have fun again. Here are a couple of older videos.

Astrofreq at Meow Wolf! - YouTube
Music Man Cutlass improvisation guitar solo (Astrofreq at Meow Wolf) - YouTube

If anyone is interested, follow my link below to my YouTube, where I hope to be making and uploading videos often. :)

Hang in there everyone and stay safe,

Daniel

GWDavis28

Daniel, that's great!!!! Didn't realize you were having medical issue, sorry to hear that, but this sounds like it's going to work for you man and that's awesome!!!

Glenn |B)

Astrofreq

Daniel, that's great!!!! Didn't realize you were having medical issue, sorry to hear that, but this sounds like it's going to work for you man and that's awesome!!!

Glenn |B)

Thanks Glenn! Yeah, I had my first MRI for osteoarthritis at the ripe age of 25. It's just gradually gone downhill since then. I'll be 50 in November! Man, I feel old. haha. It helps me enjoy the good things in life (guitars, friends, family, etc) while we can.

dibart77

Daniel, Astrofreq... you made my week. Such good news. And your clips are killer. I love people doing what they want to do with music. You remind me of one of my music teachers in high school who had us kids doing interesting performance art throwing tennis balls at triggers and then grooving rock stuff and then doing OUT THERE stuff! That man (Mr. Messina) had so much influence on so many kids. And while Laurie Anderson and that style weren't really my bag, it was so amazing to watch someone encourage people to make art, make sound, make noise, MAKE ANYTHING. And no judging. Anybody who judged anyone, or a cool kid who ragged on a nerd or longhair and Mr. Messina would blow his stack, "Leave that **** at the door and come in this room to make cool f'ing music and treat each other with respect!"

So glad you got your gig back, man! Congrats!

ebmm_sig_wht.jpg

beej

That is amazing! Both the gig (which is incredible!) and getting it back. Looks like you're exactly where you're supposed to be :)

Astrofreq

I just finished my first gig back. It went well and I went 4 hours nonstop. I’m wiped out, but it was fun to be performing again.

Astrofreq

Whew ... my summer gigs are over. I did 30 4-hour solo gigs over the last 7 weekends. Totally wiped out, but it was so gratifying to be out playing again!!! Most days I went the 4 hours straight with no break. I was enjoying it and didn't want to stop, but mostly it was the lingering thought that 1) things could shut down again for awhile, or 2) Meow Wolf may take a break from using us again for anytime soon. I wrote I think 15 new songs over those 7 weeks, just to keep things fresh for my ears (plus another 5-6 cover songs that I mess with in Logic to play over) .

I did discover how much I play the same licks and patterns over and over. I'm starting a practice routine again this week to hopefully get loads of new ideas going. I also need to start hacking those new tunes into a new album. :)

As far as my body goes, 4 hours was really pushing it most days. On weekend where I would perform Thurs-Sun, I needed the next three days to recover. Physically hard, but worth it.

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Wow sounds like a lot, but satisfying. Don't over do it, the body knows and makes you pay dearly.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom