• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fearofcups

I just took some new pics of my trans-orange sr4, I just gotta get em processed and up and I'll post a link to them. They're good representations of the color.

Calaveras

What color is this?

This is my newly acquired 1993 SR5 fretless. The color is similar to rolls burgundy, but it is not a solid color. It shows dark wood grain streaks. I would almost compare it to a Gibson cherry stain on mahogany. Or kind of a black cherry color but not bursted?

ray4.jpg

I'll try and get some better phots of the grain and the color. Just gotta play with the digital camera. (Like I need an excuse? Well since I got the fretless that is all I play )
Here are some more, the one with the blue highlights is actually closest to the real color.
ray6.jpg

ray5.jpg

Last edited:

nicolasd

telling colors apart

after having looked at the reference shots, i'm having a hard time differentiating between two pairs of colors.

05 sapphire black
07 graphite pearl

and

21 candy (apple) red
43 radiance red

can anyone provide some details?

i've seen candy red in the store and it looks nice and metalic shiny. how is radiance red so much different/better that it commands a price premium?

thanks everyone.
i'm in bongo decision mode.

nicolasd

oh and one more just curiosity question.

i've noticed none of the burst or trans colors are available for bongos. were these options tried and rejected?

i'm trying to imagine what say, a pearl redburst bongo might look like. my imagination says a vintage sunburst would look pretty terrible. :eek: perhaps the bongo pickguard would hide too much of the er... "burst gradient" if you will.

Calaveras

blue burst bongo with a MOT pg!
I have seen a pic on here somewhere of a stain bongo, I believe it was mahogany. Yet another "one off".

tmycannon

50353 5-string

hi, i have #353 5 string, color red(a very true 60's fender stlye flat red) w/ white pu/pg; rosewood neck. i bought it in '91 from someone who said it toured in europe with joe cocker?? i could'nt have cared less, my crappy offer of 575 was accepted, and i raced to get it before he changed his mind. i really wasn't looking for a five (hence the crappy offer), but really wanted a music man (which was hard to find around here at the time). it all worked out. i have never seen one in the same color. i understand this color was made for one year. it is very cool, way better than any other red mm i've seen. never mind it plays and sounds great

Gazpacho

Question

Got myself a '79 stingray. Supposedly it's black, at least that what I've been told- but it semms very dark-greenish-nearly-black to me. Have MM ever made a dark green Stingray?

Rod Trussbroken

Gazpacho said:
Got myself a '79 stingray. Supposedly it's black, at least that what I've been told- but it semms very dark-greenish-nearly-black to me. Have MM ever made a dark green Stingray?

There's never been a dark green Pre-EB Bass. It may just be the aging of the finish.

Gazpacho

Rod Trussbroken said:
There's never been a dark green Pre-EB Bass. It may just be the aging of the finish.
Thank you. That settles it then. My stingray is black. Nice to know!:)

Steamthief

Wow, I just read this thread, and I didn't realize the love/hate for the metal flake brown! Maybe a few decent pictures will help the Ballers embrace the funky goodness of this finish. Sent two pictures to you, smallequestrian, let me know if you have a particular request.

homer13

odd coloured sr4

hello to all, new member here, from the frozen tundra of central ontario, canada. i have my eye on a used sr4, early 90's, in some kind of see-through cream colour, never seen it before? by the way, i am the proud owner of a '98 sr5, see-through red. and a '03 sterling lined fretless, in natural, w/ tort p/g and piezo pu. been playing semi pro for 30 yrs, owned lots of high basses, but love my eb's. if any one can help me with colour question, that would be great!! cheers to all.

Caca de Kick

Okay,
Recently another member pm'd me a link to his photobucket. In it there was a pic of a StingRay 4 (he no longer has?), it seemed like an early 90's, 2-eq and had a mute bridge, but the color was like a light green-burst to dark green...yes the light green part was translucent. My jaw dropped (especially being a 2-eq!). I must know what it is!

Moondog, I'm trying to remember, but was that your photobucket? If it is, could you link the pic?

Top Bottom