• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GilmourD

Looks like all the current Axis colors have been nixed and nothing on the product pages about new colors.

Anybody got the inside dirt?

beej

I don't think Pete would tell us anything that EBMM won't.

We're all just going to have to be patient. Everything is disrupted at the moment- global suppliers, local workforces, retail stores, etc.

We just have to wait and see how things go. No one has a crystal ball.

fogman

It's fun to try and guess what colours might be coming our way; even though we'd be wrong.
But a fantasy item for the Axis would be a purple nebula offering with an ebony board. <wink> <wink> lol

jlf599

It's fun to try and guess what colours might be coming our way; even though we'd be wrong.
But a fantasy item for the Axis would be a purple nebula offering with an ebony board. <wink> <wink> lol

That would rule. I'd love to see a purple come back...firemist purple would be cool. Or the Boysenberry that the BFR Lukes had awhile back.

Anacharsis

No idea when? Later this year could be almost a year from now. LOL
Yeah, they're being strangely coy about all of this. Basically, there's no stated availability of any guitars in any colors for all but a small few models. I get that COVID is slowing them down, but I don't think this is the only option in terms of communication.

So long as they keep their people healthy, that's the most important thing of course. I will probably spend my 2021 gear budget before I know what they're offering, but I don't think that reality is going to concern Sterling too much. :)

Last edited:

Flash Gordon

Yeah, they're being strangely coy about all of this. Basically, there's no stated availability of any guitars in any colors for all but a small few models. I get that COVID is slowing them down, but I don't think this is the only option in terms of communication.

So long as they keep their people healthy, that's the most important thing of course. I will probably spend my 2021 gear budget before I know what they're offering, but I don't think that reality is going to concern Sterling too much. :)

100% agree. Already spent my budget on a non EBMM guitar (first one of those in 16 years). I don’t mind waiting if I know what I’m waiting for... asking for better communication in the future please!!!

Slick64

I'd love a highly quilted lava burst with a roasted neck. I think the Axis looked best in transparent colors, but the lava burst has that old school look that I'd kill for. My Music Zoo fuscia with roasted neck is a cut above, and would love to see more of those.

MrJJoncas

100% agree. Already spent my budget on a non EBMM guitar (first one of those in 16 years). I don’t mind waiting if I know what I’m waiting for... asking for better communication in the future please!!!

This is exactly what I was talking about in the new colors for 2021 thread. It's almost like EBMM wants to miss on the potential sales especially with the tax return coming and the stimulus check.

I don't think it's due to Covid either unless they have a supply issue. For example, it seems to be mostly the guitars with Dimarzio pickups that are delayed. I can say if there is a link there or not, but I'd assume they are doing mostly ok in the other departments. If not, I don't see why cutting your bestsellers (JPs) would make sense. At this point, I'm just very curious about what is happening. I'd think that either they have problems which they don't want to disclose and it is totally fine or something is going with the marketing. Even if everything is around the corner, I still find it strange to limit your offering for almost a month now.

jlf599

I'd love a highly quilted lava burst with a roasted neck. I think the Axis looked best in transparent colors, but the lava burst has that old school look that I'd kill for. My Music Zoo fuscia with roasted neck is a cut above, and would love to see more of those.

I wish I'd gotten one of those to match my Luke. :( I hope there are more!

I was hoping Sweetwater would get the Axis in the Pacific Sparkle Blue exclusive run they had, but alas, I was told they were not happening.

PeteDuBaldo

This is exactly what I was talking about in the new colors for 2021 thread. It's almost like EBMM wants to miss on the potential sales especially with the tax return coming and the stimulus check.

I don't think it's due to Covid either unless they have a supply issue. For example, it seems to be mostly the guitars with Dimarzio pickups that are delayed. I can say if there is a link there or not, but I'd assume they are doing mostly ok in the other departments. If not, I don't see why cutting your bestsellers (JPs) would make sense. At this point, I'm just very curious about what is happening. I'd think that either they have problems which they don't want to disclose and it is totally fine or something is going with the marketing. Even if everything is around the corner, I still find it strange to limit your offering for almost a month now.

While I can't speak as to why the EBMM factory or marketing department made the choice to not release or tease all of the new stuff, I do have some of my own thoughts to share.

As part of the regular services in my store I rent band and orchestra instruments. This back to school season (September/October 2020) was a total bust due to Covid, with most local school systems that we work with either canceling their band programs entirely or electing to not start any beginning 4th Grade students (kids sitting too close to one another, kids blowing air through wind/brass instruments, full-remote learning, etc).

One of the challenges I now have to face is that my order window for rental instruments is right now - we are required to order in Q1 what we forecast our need will be in Q4. This gives the factories and distribution time to get us what we need. I have to try and accurately predict how many instruments I need to buy to fulfill the needs of our rental department.

-Do I anticipate a low rental season in September due to possible continuation of restrictions, or nervous parents/students?
-Do I anticipate a double-year of rentals, since the 4th Grade from 2020 would start the program as 5th Grade 2021, along with a regular enrollment of 2021 4th Graders?
-Do I anticipate an average year of growth for our rentals?
-Do I anticipate a moderately above average year of growth due to other businesses closing?

When dealing with a few dozen trumpets or violins here and there it isn't an issue, but if you scale it up into the quantity of hundreds or thousands all of a sudden the associated numbers get big in a hurry. The wrong decision will have a ripple effect, and be felt for years to come. Not ordering enough instruments means we have to turn customers away and they rent through another business for this year, and stay with them for the next year and the year after, etc. Ordering too many instruments literally sucks up business dollars, it's not like Amazon where you simply send something back for a refund if you decide that you don't need it.

The current challenge is immense!

As a DiMarzio dealer, last week we received an order that was placed in August. Because they had a total Covid shut-down for so long in NY, when we placed our order with them delivery was estimated at 12-16 weeks - it took even longer than that. Normally an order like ours would take only 3-5 business days to receive, and oddly enough that's how long it took us to sell every single pickup that had just arrived. Now I need to reorder again and wait possibly another 3-4 months. I can't imagine the backlog of orders they have to satisfy the production needs for manufacturers like EBMM who use their pickups.

Imagine if everything were released and the onslaught of orders rolled in, filling build slots through the end of the year (orders placed this week are currently estimated to ship in June), and then Covid spikes high enough that there is another partial or total shutdown either in CA at the EBMM factory and/or NY at the DiMarzio factory. For those two states it is a constant threat in the background, just like it is for me here in CT.

Obviously the instruments that were ordered first get built first, but if production is slowed down enough due to further restrictions then backorders could take 6-8 months or possibly a year. That's not good for the factory, dealers, or customers - I don't know that the majority of people would stay the course if they had an instrument on order, and I imagine that many would simply go buy something else.

-Unfortunately I have seen this already happening due to the non-release of updates from the EBMM factory; the cash is walking. Several of my regular customers are buying new guitars from other manufacturers because the instrument they were hoping to see showcased at the NAMM Show didn't make it into a photo for even a teaser, let alone showcase appearance. Others are buying used.

Hopefully some teasers come out soon, there are some fantastic guesses out there.

Sweat

With all due respect, do you not look/listen to the news and what is going on in the world. We are now one year into a pandemic which has affected businesses severely through out the world.

A lot of what is going on at EBMM and other manufacturers is COVID related, government mandated shutdowns, heavy restrictions on how many employees can work, social distancing and global supply chain issues.

Things are getting worse than better though hopefully that is going to change soon. I work for a franchisee of a large commercial HVAC company and we are experiencing large delays due to factory's being shutdown and global supply issues. What used to take 2-4 weeks to receive are now taking 4-6 months to get as well as order backlogs.

Whining about lack of new colors or info during these times is sure a first world problem. Lots of existing models out there to be bought so help dealers get rid of their backlog and be patient for new info.

These times are very tough on all companies and look how many are going out of business due to the pandemic.

Pete's post is a great example of what the business world is like right now, I live through this everyday with my business, hard to keep telling customers delays are due to COVID but it is the facts.

So everyone chill, either spend your money elsewhere, buy NOS or be patient and wait for new cool stuff. I went NOS :)

dibart77

Thanks Pete and Sweat. I got triggered but your thoughtful responses simmered me down. I am 1000% confident that nobody at EBMM is happy with the situation and would blow us away with a ton of cool updates if they could.

Sweat

Thanks Pete and Sweat. I got triggered but your thoughtful responses simmered me down. I am 1000% confident that nobody at EBMM is happy with the situation and would blow us away with a ton of cool updates if they could.

Where is the like button ?? We need to add that back, some of my NOS was inspired by you NGDNY thread.

Things will get better

lifeson1

This post has given me a lot to think about, especially as an avid supporter of all things brick and mortar. When January hit, the ripple effect from 2020 had not been visible the general public. As fans and gear heads, we all had high expectations for our favorite models to be born anew in a COVID Free world, with no production or staffing worries, and everything would feel 'normal.' Which it's not.

The world is still suffering, and small builders are dealing with rebuilding the operation, bringing staff back in, filling back orders, trying to grease the wheels enough to push enough product out with parts on short order. It's tough.

I know it can be frustrating to not see the new Axis finishes, especially with what a banner year it probably would have had last year, moving into 2021. A real shame on 'what could have been'.

But it does give hope for the future moving forward that we do know there will be more releases, and this gives more time to speculate, postulate, and save for what is still to be sure a fruitful 2021.

jones4tone

Thanks for that insightful post, Pete! It's easy to overlook that manufacturers such as EBMM are not only trying to manage their own operation through the pandemic, with many new regulations and concerns, but the supply chains they rely on are also upset, as you pointed out with DiMarzio. I didn't come into the year with plans to buy a new guitar, but I'm always wanting EBMM to thrive in the marketplace, and that hasn't changed. And I hope you're able to make all the right calls for your own business this year, Pete.

Top Bottom