• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbecir

Both of you, stop giving Canadians and guitar players around the world a bad name. You're only making yourselves look like assholes and losing any credibility your parents bought for you.

Are you sure they are not Frenchmen ? :eek:

I think I will complain to CS. Indeed, my 2 Balls are perfect. Thus I do not have the privilege to waste my time on Internet, complaining to a company that does a wonderful job :D

bovinehost

Administrator
I'm afraid what's sad is your inability to see the real issue here. The guy is complaining that the guitar was set up improperly AT THE FACTORY.

Sad? What you have to wrap your brain around here is that you weren't at the factory when the guitar was built or set up, nor did you follow it on its three year odyssey before reaching your client (I assume you are what we used to call a "sea lawyer" - meaning you defend him without really having much in the way of a defense).

Human eyes and hands set those guitars up before they're shipped, and there are thousands of happy comments about the job done by the good people in set-up. You think the set-up department missed a busted truss rod? Really? I'm no genius, but when I do a set-up, a working truss rod is rather essential. Almost as important as Magic Yellow Screwdriver and a vodka martini.

What does your average customer who is not experienced do when a guitar buzzes a bit or has tuning issues?

Let's again revisit one simple fact - it was a used guitar. I know BP tried to hire people to follow each instrument around after shipping, but I think dental benefits were a sticking point.

You don't know what happened to that instrument during its first three years. You cannot know. Neither can I. Who could know, really? Was it ever shipped? Did it ever fall off a stand? A million things can happen along the way. And you know that, too. If you don't, you should consider doing some reading.

The fair and equitable thing to do would be for Ernie Ball, once they in fact determine for themselves that the truss rod was wrong from the beginning, reimburses the original customer who would then reimburse the his buyer.

How far out do you want to take that? I had a 1978 Stingray with a high fret. Under your logic, the original owner should be reimbursed, then the repair costs would be passed from owner to owner until it finally reached me.

Yeah. That sounds exactly logical. Let me risk repeating myself: it was a used guitar. Had it been new, we wouldn't be having this conversation. (And that would be a good thing.)

Or, as in this case, EB simply goes ahead and fixes the guitar for free and pays all shipping charges.

But of course! How about lunch? A round of golf? You want to borrow a car? How about a college fund? Man, what an amazing and completely asshat sense of entitlement. I hope you're much younger than me, because people my age should be much, much smarter than this.

Really.

Big Poppa's skepticism cannot be faulted here and I have not criticised him for that. It's his attitude and arrogance in dealing with this person (and others) that is just plain wrong and does no favors for EB believe me.

You don't know anything about the man. Perhaps I shouldn't be so specific.

This is now moving into the realm of the ridiculous.

Elvis has now left the building.

koogie2k

Well....there ya go! Done and got yourself banned....HAHAHAHAHAH....sorry....I just find it amusing that people go out of their way to get to this point.

Before you (elvis) had any actualy FACTS...you spewed your verbal diarrhea here and had no idea what you were talking about....which does not surprise me.

Let me tell you a few things about Big Poppa that you may or may not know.

1. His love of his family is contagious.
2. His love of his friends are valued.
3. His love of the music industry is bigger than you will ever know.
4. His vision of the tools we use (strings, guitars, basses, etc) and how to improve them is above your comprehension.
5. His forever praising his staff for their great works never stops.
6. His genuine feelings of people being happy with the products his company sells.
a) The first forum Open House that HE paid for
b) The birthday bash for Bovine
c) The desert bash in Coachella that he paid for
d) Bringing in the artists for us to hang out with, talk to, and what not
e) The goodie bags given to ALL of us...he paid for
7. The fact that we are close friends and I don't take kindly to your approach with him. Basically, you are out of line. If you don't like it...too f***ing bad. I don't sweat you....send me an e-mail if you want to....
8. Rob was given a forum signed guitar because Big Poppa wanted to do something special for him at a bad time in his life. Oh yeah, he paid for it and was glad to do it.
9. Helping me out when my band room went up in flames. He did that....he didn't have to and I love him for it.
10. I would take a bullet for him....so, be careful as I can get very protective of him from people like you. See line #7...I don't sweat you.
11. He would rather have you as a happy customer, but, you refused that because you thought you "had" him and it turns out...you got punked. Talking out your a$$ without any facts based on what you "thought" was going on.
12. His advice to me via e-mail and phone calls. YOU have NO idea what I did for a living and he knows. He has called me just to make sure I am okay and to see how I am doing. He is extremely busy and still takes time out for me. I was in a business that you couldn't fathom and it would have you sucking your thumb in the fetal position. I wouldn't wish that on anyone...but, I have no fear....and the scars to prove it.
13. He is like another father to me. He tells me things out of concern, even if I don't like it. But...you know...he is more right than wrong. Again, you have no idea how close we are and how I would go to war for him in a heartbeat. I have done it and will do it again with a smile on my face.

All in all....you are a pathetic punk trying to bolster yourself up as some kind of savior. What have you saved here? Not yourself from looking like an idiot. Sad really.....

Personally, I hate to get like this. But, I would do it for any of my friends in a milli-second. I have helped out forumites in the past and was happy to do so. But...you got me there.

You have no place to question Big Poppa's character. He can be blunt, but, he truly worries about his customers. However, it does not make him a doormat. Sometimes...you have to fire the customer....so, (in my best Donald Trump voice)....YOU'RE FIRED! :cool:

TimSz

How is it, that no matter what thread it is, you somehow manage to take it over with your incessant ramblings about left handed JP6's?

"I love AL's!"
"Left handed JPs!"

"My thingy is broken."
"Boo hoo. Left handed JPs!"

"My wife left me."
"That sucks... left handed JPs!"

You're a merciless person, and I approve wholeheartedly. Hahahahahaha. Oh boy. What have we started?

Big Poppa

here is a nw thread today that is pretty good......

Oh dear, what have I started?

I think the worst thing about my JP6 going belly-up when it did was that it was just before the weekend, I had a gig to play on the Saturday and a rehearsal on the Sunday all of which I had to approach with a less than well guitar, I got through it all by the way thanks to the JP having two outputs....which is nice! but of course, being the weekend, customer support was closed, the only avenue of available help I had to approach was indeed this forum, hence my post.

However yesterday (Monday) I got in touch with Srings & Things in Shoreham (UK) and there I spoke to a wonderfully helpful guy called Nick Clubb he spoke softly to me in words which I could understand and assured me that the guitar could be easily fixed, all I had to do was ship it to him and they'd do their best to sort it out at the most reasoable price possible. I can't thank Nick enough for his time, patience, helpfulness and soothing bedside manner, I felt so much better about the situation after talking with him.

However, I then received a reply to an email I'd sent to EBMM support in the States. This came from another supremely helpful individual by the name of Dan McPherson he told me that judging by the symptoms my guitar was exhibiting, his best advice would be to replace the entire output unit. He agreed to ship the unit to the UK and it has to be said that the price was nowhere near as frightening as I had expected. Again, although via email this time, the helpfulness Dan tendered me was above and beyond the call of duty and I am writing this now to express my appreciation of said fact.

So whilst my guitar is still a very sick beast indeed, relief is at hand and hopefully it will be well again soon.

Although I did think that BP's initial post in response to my cry for help was a bit on the defensive/hostile side, having just experienced EBMM customer support first hand, I can perhaps understand more clearly why BP felt the need to chastise me in the manner which he did.

I now have two first class contacts both here in the UK and the US, either one I wouldn't hesitate to approach should I have any other issues with my guitar, they would be my first port of call now rather than bowling up like Mr Angry to this exceptional forum.

As a result of my dealings with EBMM CS I have now ammended the title and emoticon of my initial thread which I hope meets with approval from certain sectors! and I'd also lke to thank from the bottom of my heart all those contributers who offered advice, sympathy and understanding....you guys!

So, touch wood, this story will have a happy ending, the JP6 will once again be in the peak of health and my love affair with it will resume, it is after all probably the best guitar in the World!!

Love and Peace, Charlie.

2006 JP6 (loaded less the inlays) - on the road to recovery

Alllllrighty then.

Another attack on Big Poppa for not saving the world yet again. Actually...the post was more entertaining than some I have seen before. Simply put, Elvis, you only stated on a public forum what you:

a) only wanted to say without fact
b) read about this elsewhere and considered it gospel
c) the dude was your buddy with the broke USED guitar and you have to play hero.

Either way...you just happen to be wrong. I must wonder, will you admit that you are wrong with as much gusto as you tried to imply Pops was trying to swindel someone? My guess is....no, you are not man enough.

Now...you are not buying an EBMM product. For what it is worth.....I don't care. Some people who have complaints and state them publicly will tell the world how they were going to "get that guitar TOMORROW" and "another one a week later" which just makes me wear bigger boots for the crap you are spewing.

The only part really that irked me...the SOB comment.
Have you met Big Poppa? My answer is probably no, you haven't. The only SOB here is you and your "used guitar" buddy.

Anywho....get back on the warzone of your keyboard there commander. How about just leave and have a nice day.

Pops....I think I went easy. ;)

Hmmmmmmmmm.

The guy has a 3+ year old guitar that has fret buzzing issues.

He takes said guitar to a local tech.

The tech tells him the truss rod was set improperly at the factory.

Big Poppa, withouth personally inspecting the instrument himself or having one of his techs do it, DECLARES the guy to be wrong, treats him disrespectfully on a public forum and by so doing gives permission for others in here to do the same, and leaves him twisting in the wind.

Yeah. I have a problem with that. Sorry if that makes me a bad guy or an idiot in your world but guess what, I really don't care.

Like I said, at LEAST talk to the guy over the phone, as a customer service rep offered to do in the same thread, and try to work it out. If the guy is still not satisfied, then offer to have him ship the guitar to you so you can check it out yourself. If the problem is indeed a factory issue then cover all costs including shipping. If not, the guy pays you for your time as well as shipping.

But don't humiliate him on a public forum. He doesn't deserve that. In fact, nobody does. And I don't care who Big Poppa is or thinks he is.

candid_x

You had me from

The issue here, without even having to think about it is that this guy from Canada is blithering on about how his guitar is broken and poor him should get some kind of special treatment because he is a stuck up university prick.

:)

Jimmyb

Elvis,

You just don't seem to get it do you?

You've made a personal attack on someone who has touched the lives of a lot of people on here in great ways. I haven't seen the guitar, you haven't seen the guitar, no one knows what mitigating circumstances there may or may not be.

The guitar was out of warranty, the poster threatened a boycott and encouraged others to do so in his first post on the forum. He came here (as have you) with a lot of negativity and was hostile in his approach. I can understand frustration, but this was just downright rude.

Let's use an analogy here.

I've got some Pete Cornish pedals. I love them and think they're the best out there in terms of both sound and construction, but even then, Pete only offers a one year warranty. If in three years time, they stop working, what do I do? Well, the answer's simple, I send it back to Pete, ask him to take a look at it and pay him for his time to repair it. Why should he do it for free?

How does the tech guy know the truss rod was installed wrong? Has he seen how it's done at the factory? EBMM know how their guitars are put together and I repeat, if there was a manufacturing error, it would have sprung up much earlier on in the life of the guitar.

What can you tell me about the way in which the guitar was stored? What about heat/humidity? Had it been dropped?

The simple answer is that neither you, or I know.

From the way your posts come across, it seems as though you feel it is OK, for 'Dave' to be open hostile and critical of EBMM and Sterling, yet it is not OK for Sterling to respond in the same manner. Would you rather all of his replies were corporate, along the lines of 'Thank you for your response, your call means a lot to us'?

Would you?

I wouldn't. I'd rather have a real person replying, complete with the passion and pride that comes with heading up such a successful and forward-thinking instrument manufacturer.

TimSz

Wow!

Apparently have failed to read any of the other posts that have happened in this and every other thread on this damned site! Sterling doesn't have to talk to anyone on the phone, or post on the internet because he spends ridiculous amounts of money on having a brilliant staff to do the dirty work. That aside, he still comes around here to suffer fools and ingrates!

How the tech can immediately state that "It was improperly set in the factory" is beyond me. The guitar is THREE YEARS OLD. Whose to say what could have happened to that guitar over the three years it was in people's hands? It could have gone without strings for x amount of time. It could have been left in the trunk of a car for x amount of time. It could have been disassembled because someone wanted to see "how it worked".

It was unfair for that tech to state such a bold remark. This guy, believing the tech to be more knowledgeable than he, takes that word as gospel and proceeds to attack on here! Did he consider taking it to another tech? Did he consider calling customer service? My assumption is a big resounding NO. Instead, he loses his head on here and boycott this and blah blah blah that.

It's not the issue of getting the guitar fixed. Customer Service got that end fixed, no problem. When people come into town and shoot off their mouths, chances are the big boys are going to set him straight. This is exactly the case here. No matter what medium, be it internet, phone or reality, should a person exude such disrespect as this fella did without first doing the proper research and then exhausting all other facets first, he is going to get shot down quickly.

I don't know who Sterling thinks he is, but I'll tell you what I think. He is the provider of my guitars and my wah pedals and my strap locks and my strings. He is the deep pocket that provides all of the glorious activities for the forum members, and provides the forum. He also seems like a pretty swell guy, based on how people talk him up. He has to be down-to-earth to be sitting on the forums like this, and humoring your petty arguments.

This can be resolved fairly easily. Oh wait! It all ready was! It was suggested that the guy with the JP problem send it back to the factory and they'd fix it! If my math serves correctly, I'll lay it out in layman terms so that even someone who is only juggling with one ball can pick up what I'm laying down:

1800 > 400
New guitar = 1800
Owned guitar = 400
Breaking in guitar = x amount of months
Spending 400 to have the guitar that is broken in work great = pretty fair deal

What does this all equate to? Mister flappy gums and his friend should relearn math.

Jimmyb

THe whole problem is that you are taking it as gospel that the guitar was set up at the factory wrong...

It wasnt....unlike you we actually saw and fixed the guitar. IF there was a doubt at all in the origin of the problem we would have paid for it. We do it all the time.

Elvis,

Did you take note of this bit?

terdrocket

I went to the doctor and told him my peepee is too short.
He said it was like that from birth.
I went to my dad and complained that its his fault, but he wouldn't do anything.
I then asked the doctor to fix it, but he is charging me too much money.

Life sucks.

TimSz

I am so glad that this happened. Now we can all go back to harassing Rob for being so wishy-washy on the AL versus Sil. Spec issue!

rdhbass

The "ranter", Elvis, must not be a musician or a complete fool to think that factories will warranty a second hand instrument. Try taking an "ibeenhad" soundgear bass for a warranty when you are the second, third, buyer of the guitar and see if "ibeenhad" will warranty it....What a complete moron. Oh I forgot to mention.... I am the REAL Elvis Presleys 3rd cousin. ..... thank you.
Rob Henderson....
Springfield Missouri USA
EBMM 5HH Pearl Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom