• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MCBTunes

personally I like the look of #2 better.... but thats what a sterling is supposed to look like... I like the difference between a ray annd a sterling besides the headstock.

On pure looks... #2

But I'd prefer it stay like #1

TSanders

I like the sunburst finish, but I think a StingRay looks like a StingRay with the contral plate on it.

If those are protos, are the actual releases going to have a control plate, or will they be sans control plate??

Psychicpet

BP, please see it in your infinite wisdom and grace to overlook the "when is there gonna be a 3 p/u version" comments, I'm sure all were in jest BUT in case they weren't I'll take the place of Moses and say "they really aren't that bad, don't destoy them yet, just give me a few things to tell them on these stone tablets... mm'kay?"

:D

jongitarz

philthygeezer said:
Preference? I like no control plate better on the burst, but it also makes it look like a chubby Sterling. The control plate may be an identifier for Stingrays for me. I still like it absent better though. :)

Wait until you see the HH Sterling...It kicks ass. Big time.

jongitarz

I think what Dargin was asking about was not the finishes on the basses. It was do you like the control plate or not. My vote goes to with the plate. It needs one because it's a Stingray.

SterlingFan

jongitarz said:
I think what Dargin was asking about was not the finishes on the basses. It was do you like the control plate or not. My vote goes to with the plate. It needs one because it's a Stingray.

I agree 100%. A Stingray needs the plate. However, I also like the second one, looks like a Sterling. I say, offer both.

SterlingFan

Please don't flame me for asking this. But, if it has 2 pickups and a selector switch, is it still a Stingray? Stingrays have had 1 pickup for almost 30 years. But, don't mind me, I still like the 2 band eq.

pattiejay

thats what i was thinking too...stingrays should have one pickup - all the tones you need in my opinion. but then again, time's are a-changin

but regardless of the name and its tradition, me like both...very cool :)

Figjam

#2 looks bette rbut i tihnk you should comebine them and have a black/black/maple and then a sunburst and pearloid with rosewood.

TheAntMan

I like the 2 pup StingRay. You always have the option of not using the neck pup. I was playing my Bongo and my StingRay yesterday to compare the tones (again!!!! :D ). I like the variations I can get with the Bongo pickup blend.

I am guessing that the 2 pup SRs will not have a blend but just a selector? This may make a big difference in the tonal ranges available as compared to the Bongos. Is it too late for a blend option :confused: ? Or, I guess I should be asking -- why the selector instead of the blend since I am pretty sure you guy would have hashed this out.

Ant

Father Gino

Uh-oh, there descension in the ranks here! Now it'll be the vintage SRs vs the EB SRs vs the double pupper SRs. The whole bunch are gonna start throwing control plates and matching headstocks at each other!

And it's got a selector switch! It's a #$%^ Sabre! No it's a SterRay! A SabRay! A Bongre! No it's a Sterbre Bongling!

I don't care what the %^& you call em. Bing on the double scoop Sterling!!!!

jongitarz

SterlingFan said:
Please don't flame me for asking this. But, if it has 2 pickups and a selector switch, is it still a Stingray? Stingrays have had 1 pickup for almost 30 years. But, don't mind me, I still like the 2 band eq.

Ok...You can buy a Ford Mustang with a V6 or a V8...Is one not a Mustang? Give me a break you guys. You can still buy 1 p/up models if you are purists, or you can buy the 2 p/up models if you are open minded forward thinking people :D

And don't worry..I am not flaming you. Yet.

willhaven

#1 looks better IMO. A Stingray should have the chrome plate, a Sterling shouldn't.

Product differentiation is important.

It also has the matching headstock, and that scores brownie points with me. ;)

bovinehost

Administrator
The only real questions are:

1. Control plate or back-loaded?
2. Does the 5way look funny with the plate?

I think back-loaded is my favorite because the switch does look a little odd above the control plate.

I vote back-load the electronics and yeah, it's still a damned Stingray, you boneheads!

The only other real question is:

3. Can I afford yet another freaking bass??

Jack

bovinehost

Administrator
Now don't YOU start on me, too!

Besides, I only have ONE of those "Xerox things" and my kid likes it - the only bass he's ever really been taken with, although one of his first words was "Bongo" (really - and he can pick EBMM basses out of a catalog like THAT).

Let he who is without sin cast the first Xerox!

Top Bottom