• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

WillyD

Ernie Ball, Inc.
I was also quoted mid-May for the delivery of a black Bongo 5 HS today. Any particular reason why, or just a line backup?

Our build times vary, 3-6 months. We do not warehouse instruments and build each one as ordered.
If you are located outside of USA delivery times are a bit longer with transit, customs clearance, etc, factored in.

Fleeeep

sorry if this has been asked already but I'm relatively new here.
if i was to order a new Silhouette special for example from my local dealer here, i have only the choice between black or white and rosewood or maple fretboard ? this is correct yes ?
If each order sent from a dealer is made after it is ordered what is the issue with getting any of the colours that EBMM offer on any of their other models ?
i understand not keeping every model in every colour in stock, totally get that, but if guitars are built to order whats the issue with ordering a silhouette in any of your stock solid colours ?
Again sorry if this has been answered already.

Fleeeep

Our build times vary, 3-6 months. We do not warehouse instruments and build each one as ordered.
If you are located outside of USA delivery times are a bit longer with transit, customs clearance, etc, factored in.

This is why i ask my question above . I have no problem with the wait times, but don't understand why i can only have black or white on a Silhouette for example

cybersnyder

Are PDNs a thing of the past? I saw mention of them in one post and they were talked about in the past tense. But you can read a lot into a simple post, so thought I'd ask.

JayDawg

Are PDNs a thing of the past? I saw mention of them in one post and they were talked about in the past tense. But you can read a lot into a simple post, so thought I'd ask.

PDN's have an order window of one month and usually only have one or maybe two released a year. Usually in April or May or August or September. PDN stands for Premier Dealer Network and whatever is being offered can only be ordered through those dealers for one month. I have bought a few and they hold their value really well due to their limited availability. I still have two of my orders and could get almost what I paid for them new.

MattOfSweden

At the core of it, this streamlining and the new bass/guitar models is once again proof that EBMM is always innovating both on the instrument side as well as on their business model. Only by being prepared to take risks and unvoidably trying some things that don't work (and then being prepared to terminate the effort) out can anyone find the things that really make a positive difference. Very similar to the scientific approach of forming a hypothesis/strategy, and then making experiments to test the hypothesis - in all of the bass/guitar world, EBMM is pretty special in this regard.

About all the awesome finishes, I'd bet that we'll see both new ones and favourites of the past make appearances in special runs through the PDN or similar where the volumes will be more than a one off here and there.

About the P and P/J models: yeeeeehaaa!! :D :D
Really looking forward to trying these out!

the explode man

The reason we are discontinuing finishes is so we can streamline what we are selling vs. what we are offering. These finishes represent a small percentage of what we actually make. Discontinuing these various finishes / models provides us flexibility for future models and custom runs. It has become impossible to stock and offer so many body models, finishes, and pick guards. In the near future you will see many different shapes, sizes, and features on multiple guitars and basses!

Hi Dargin, could you clarify a couple of things for me? In the future, since you have eliminated many finish options, does EBMM plan to do more PDN/limited versions? Or will they be doing approximately the same number as before?

Do you ever anticipate allowing custom orders? For example, if I were to order a Black 4H Sterling from my local shop, from what I understand, unless that specific bass is in stock, the order would then get sent to you guys to make the bass. What is the difference then between ordering a standard black finish and ordering a Mystic Dream, or Copper Fire etc. finish, since the paint is already in the factory?

I'm sure you guys have thought of it, I'm just curious as to the reason you guys do limit your orders in this fashion.

Thanks!

WillyD

Ernie Ball, Inc.
Hi Dargin, could you clarify a couple of things for me? In the future, since you have eliminated many finish options, does EBMM plan to do more PDN/limited versions? Or will they be doing approximately the same number as before?

Do you ever anticipate allowing custom orders? For example, if I were to order a Black 4H Sterling from my local shop, from what I understand, unless that specific bass is in stock, the order would then get sent to you guys to make the bass. What is the difference then between ordering a standard black finish and ordering a Mystic Dream, or Copper Fire etc. finish, since the paint is already in the factory?

I'm sure you guys have thought of it, I'm just curious as to the reason you guys do limit your orders in this fashion.

Thanks!

We will continue with PDN but there are no plans to increase or add custom options to this list of the many things we currently make available.

The color choice topic has resurfaced many times, here is a good thread about this topic:

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/62266-how-many-colors-do-we-paint.html

Last edited:

the explode man

We will continue with PDN but there are no plans to increase or add custom options to this list of the many things we currently make available.

The color choice topic has resurfaced many times, here is a good thread about this topic:

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/62266-how-many-colors-do-we-paint.html

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the response, but this thread isn't really a good thread on the topic, and you guys seem to keep dodging the question: why do you guys not allow customers to pay extra? Respectfully, the EBMM keeps spinning in circles saying "we can't offer every colour because they don't sell". We get it. They don't sell. No one is arguing that. But what no one is addressing is why you won't allow customers to pay a premium for non-standard options.

As for the paint switching, this is why I asked specifically about paints that exist and you use on other instruments. You guys are already painting guitars with Mystic Dream, why can't I order a Mystic Dream bass? I'm not asking why you guys don't ship Mystic Dream to dealers as standard. I get it. Only black/white basses sell. I'm not disputing that. I'm asking why I can't order a bass for myself that's in Mystic Dream.

Okay, so, assuming there is a reason, like the paint guns for guitars are different from basses or something, if switching paints in your machines and additional setup costs EBMM $300 to change from doing your standard black, why not allow a customer to pay you the $300 in additional expenses plus your standard markup? I don't see where EBMM is losing in that deal or the harm that it does to the company that you guys are evading this option.

I'm not expecting EBMM to take a loss because I'm personally finicky about colours, I just truly don't understand what the problem with letting people pay you your regular margins to allow this.

WillyD

Ernie Ball, Inc.
Hi Willy,

Thanks for the response, but this thread isn't really a good thread on the topic, and you guys seem to keep dodging the question: why do you guys not allow customers to pay extra? Respectfully, the EBMM keeps spinning in circles saying "we can't offer every colour because they don't sell". We get it. They don't sell. No one is arguing that. But what no one is addressing is why you won't allow customers to pay a premium for non-standard options.

As for the paint switching, this is why I asked specifically about paints that exist and you use on other instruments. You guys are already painting guitars with Mystic Dream, why can't I order a Mystic Dream bass? I'm not asking why you guys don't ship Mystic Dream to dealers as standard. I get it. Only black/white basses sell. I'm not disputing that. I'm asking why I can't order a bass for myself that's in Mystic Dream.

Okay, so, assuming there is a reason, like the paint guns for guitars are different from basses or something, if switching paints in your machines and additional setup costs EBMM $300 to change from doing your standard black, why not allow a customer to pay you the $300 in additional expenses plus your standard markup? I don't see where EBMM is losing in that deal or the harm that it does to the company that you guys are evading this option.

I'm not expecting EBMM to take a loss because I'm personally finicky about colours, I just truly don't understand what the problem with letting people pay you your regular margins to allow this.

We appreciate the interest and feedback. We have not decided to implement custom options or a custom shop, meanwhile we will strive to satisfy customer tastes with our standard and PDN offerings.

steevo

99.9% of the forum members seem very happy with build quality and overall design and playability of the range on offer and to that end it seems that EBMM have got that spot on.
Maybe the option of custom paint jobs is an area in which the company can maybe increase revenue and also show off just what amazing finishes they can produce, not that they dont already.
Looking at what other companies are doing and have been doing for years maybe it would be a massive advantage over the competition to offer such an option.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

the explode man

We appreciate the interest and feedback. We have not decided to implement custom options or a custom shop, meanwhile we will strive to satisfy customer tastes with our standard and PDN offerings.

Thanks Willy. I think steevo sums it up here:

99.9% of the forum members seem very happy with build quality and overall design and playability of the range on offer and to that end it seems that EBMM have got that spot on.

I'm definitely good on the quality of the instruments, but just having some more paint options would be nice. Like, it would be really nice if I could get a Sterling in Arctic Dream or something. This is a finish that's already in the shop use on the Majesty, which again is why I don't see why it could be applied to a different body.

I get the point about not being able to get into true customs, and that's fine, the infrastructure isn't there and the company isn't at a place where it could do it. But, having more options on the paint would be my jam. I've been waiting, money in hand, for a finish that I like that's actually on the Sterling so I can buy another one. It's frustrating because it's been years.

amper

Piezo will no longer be an option on the Stingray line. We always have the option to resurrect any model or option for future limited runs. If enough people want it we will make it!

I really hope this becomes true, someday. After I acquired my piezo StingRay, I swore I would never buy another instrument that did not have piezo, and I find myself in desperate need of a fretted StingRay with piezo. As for piezos being problem children, all I can say is mine is old enough to vote, and she's never given me any problems with the piezo system.

file-jan-10-18-30-03.jpeg

Last edited:

ZiggyDude

Greetings to all

It has been forever since I have last visited you. Happy to return.

I also don't get the color thing for existing options. I was at a local guitar shop and I was shown an EBMM guitar that was in this 3D fiery orange. I don't know the color name. Even though I have 4 Bongos now (OK - one is a purple 6 string) I just had to get a Bongo 5 HS in that. The store owner actually called EBMM on the spot but they informed him they would not sell a Bongo in that color.

Why? EBMM has the paint, the Bongo is otherwise off the rack, why not sell it? And yes - I would have paid extra.

- Ziggy -
Bongo 5 HH - Desert Gold
Bongo 5 HS - Electric Blue
Bongo 5 HH - Green Sparkle PDN
Bongo 6 HH - Deep Purple

Top Bottom