• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Movielife

I would definitely entertain a HH Ray 4 in the new design.

I’m super impressed by the progression with EBMM. The guitar side is also amazing and much more to my tastes now.

Meypelnek

So is my understanding correct: Neodymium PU, 18 V preamp and this also with a new different voicing? The 30A SR5 had a differently voiced preamp and there was sone discussion here why not transfer this to the whole SR line. It seems this was heard.
For the SR5 this would mean the 4th change of PU magnets, right? ALNICO - Ceramic - ALNICO - Neodymium. I would love to a/b the new one to my favorite 2015 SR5.

dtyndall

Is this everything they're unveiling for NAMM? Was hoping for a anniversary model Sterling and the St. Vincent bass.

JayDawg

So the video says the Stingray will be available in 12 colors. Anyone know what the 12 colors will be?

The neck through Stingrays will be offered in 7 colors and the the new 4 and 5 string bolt on necks will be offered in 12 colors. I have the order list but don’t know if I’m okay to say what the colors are or not as NAMM just started. If someone from EBMM says I can say what the colors are, then I will post what they are.

Mu5icM@n

On the clips I can't decide which I like better, the 2017 or the new 2018 stingray. They definitely sound different. Did the 3-band preamp lose the built-in high pass filter that it had? It sounds like it--the 2018 sounds smoother and deeper, with a less pronounced upper midrange. I like the 5-bolt contoured heel, that's always been a wishlist item of mine. Lighter is better, also. I'm a little sad to see the big bolts go, they were always a funky detail I liked, sort of like the old string mutes that nobody ever used.

You're not going to get me to give up my '94 Ray but these are a nice update. Has anybody talked to Hipshot to get a new D-Tuner model rolling?

Tom

tbonesullivan

Oh wow. Those are some pretty big re-designs across the board. Though, is 18V really necessary? I haven't felt limited by having "only" a 9V preamp on my Stingrays. Does this mean more boosting overhead?

The St Vincent HH is nice... but honestly it's the 3 mini humbuckers that really made it more interesting to me. With two humbuckers it's more "vanilla".

The neck through Stingrays will be offered in 7 colors and the the new 4 and 5 string bolt on necks will be offered in 12 colors. I have the order list but don’t know if I’m okay to say what the colors are or not as NAMM just started. If someone from EBMM says I can say what the colors are, then I will post what they are.

I am all ears. :)

Manny_Silvers

I'd love to see a natural neck through Ray with a roasted maple neck, where you can really see the difference in wood where the wings of the body are glued on. Would be nice.

Tom F

Some of the visible colors from the videos posted on the Music Man instagram account are absolutely amazing.

Based on the demos so far (including the ones on social media) it sounds like the 2018 Basses are voiced the way I tend to set my EQ, which is pretty awesome. Of course, I may be off base with that., but color me *very* intrigued, especially with the lighter weight.

I don’t know that any of the changes announced this far are revolutionary, but they definitely seem to be moving things forward in an interesting way!

cybersnyder

Very interesting. Wish you could get black hardware with the maple fingerboard though. Looking forward to trying one!

St_G

No more rosewood neck St. Vincent? Guess I'll be buying used.

Michael Murphy

cybersnyder

Matching headstock still an option? I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Patience. Patience. But this is pretty big news - Ernie Ball MusicMan always has a very high quality product. Take away the weight annoyance and it becomes possible to find a ~8.5 lbs Stingray 5. That's killer.

Last edited:

pudgychef

Matching headstock still an option? I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. Patience. Patience. But this is pretty big news - Ernie Ball MusicMan always has a very high quality product. Take away the weight annoyance and it becomes possible to find a ~8.5 lbs Stingray 5. That's killer.

hope so - would love if ebony, black hardware and matching HS were options on any finish...

Curious to hear the new electronics and PU in person - love my Bongo, love my Ray...

Top Bottom