• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

vates

OMG! Stingray with Bongo electronics: I've been waiting for this for ages. Thank you, good sirs from the Ball family! Dreams come true :)

Chuck M

I just found this video this morning. What is there not to like? Or better yet love? In the demo the new bass sounded better to me. I think the new electronics sound wonderful and they put them in a bass that has the roasted neck we all love AND it weigh less! Wow. Okay, Sterling, next time you are in San Antonio I am buying you dinner.

Chuck M

By the way, I'm guessing I am a Junior Member because of the rather low number of my posts rather than my age. I suspect I may be the real senior member of this forum.

Manny_Silvers

Also wonder if the Neck Through Stingrays will be available with the new pickups/pre-amp and lighter hardware.

dmarotta

New Stingray

Did you guys notice the changes to the Stingray 4 and 5?

Neodymium magnets, 18 volt preamps? Sound familiar?

Played the new Stingray yesterday at Namm with Sterling, John Ferraro, Albert Lee and Steve Morse. Just picked it up, plugged it in and went for it. This is a whole new ballgame here.1.5lbs lighter , Neo Pickups, new 18v preamp, roasted neck.The neck played like butter. 1st time for me on a roasted neck....loved it. The sound is super punchy without what I call the "self compressed" sound of the regular Ray. I played a single pickup 5 string. Much better access to the higher notes as the heel has been streamlined. You all will definitely want to try this bass!!

scottbass71

good to see EB not resting on their Laurels and trying to push the boundaries, like mentioned the music Industry is full of re-issues and companys making their own version of a P, J or MM bass.

I wonder will it be a 4 band EQ like the bongo?
With the Aluminium Tuners are they still Schallers or some other companys?

Looking forward to trying the New Stingray only problem is being Australia we will get in in 2019!!!

bovinehost

Administrator
Played the new Stingray yesterday at Namm with Sterling, John Ferraro, Albert Lee and Steve Morse. Just picked it up, plugged it in and went for it. This is a whole new ballgame here.1.5lbs lighter , Neo Pickups, new 18v preamp, roasted neck.The neck played like butter. 1st time for me on a roasted neck....loved it. The sound is super punchy without what I call the "self compressed" sound of the regular Ray. I played a single pickup 5 string. Much better access to the higher notes as the heel has been streamlined. You all will definitely want to try this bass!!

Thanks, Dave - saw a photo of you guys playing. Weird to see you without a Bongo.

Musicfreak1988

I’ve been asking them about light weight ‘Rays a few times. Really excited. It may be a long shot, but does anybody know if all options remain available? A lefty lightweight 2018 ‘Ray with SLO neck (and one of those new sparkle finishes) would tick all my boxes!

five7

Too bad the website doesn't show these new features. Looked today and SR5's have no mention of neo pickups.

Edmang

No more rosewood neck St. Vincent? Guess I'll be buying used.

Was also considering buying one. That was one of the things that had me attracted to the St. Vincent. But with CITES was kind of expecting that to change, so was not surprised.

St_G

Still rosewood fretboards.

Was also considering buying one. That was one of the things that had me attracted to the St. Vincent. But with CITES was kind of expecting that to change, so was not surprised.

JayDawg

NAMM ends tomorrow so I think I am okay posting what finishes are available for the bolt on Stingray 4 and 5 string basses. This list will also include what fretboard and pickguard you can get with each finish. I am really excited for these new Stingrays!

Here are all be upgrades done to them.
- Rounder body contours
- Sculpted neck joint / 5 bolt
- 22 stainless steel frets
- Aluminum hardware
- Neodymium magnets
- 18-volt preamp
- Cutlass/Caprice style bridge
- Roasted neck

Here are the finishes available with fretboard options and what color of pickguard will come on the bass standard, from the factory.

Jet Black Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Jet Black Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

Burnt Apple Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Vintage Tobacco Roasted Maple/Maple White

Vintage Tobacco Roasted Maple/Rosewood White

Classic Natural Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Classic Natural Roasted Maple/Rosewood Black

Charcoal Sparkle Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

Cruz Teal Roasted Maple/Ebony White

Chopper Blue Roasted Maple/Rosewood White Pearloid

Charging Green Roasted Maple/Maple White

HD Yellow Roasted Maple/Rosewood Black

Dropped Copper Roasted Maple/Maple White

Ivory White Roasted Maple/Maple Mint

Ivory White Roasted Maple/Rosewood Mint

Aqua Sparkle Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

vates

Thanks JayDawg!

So it's not "envy green" as AJ've said but rather "charging green". Like it :)
But no rosewood fingerboard option for this color. (Can't see any logic behind this).
Is it set in stone?

Musicfreak1988

NAMM ends tomorrow so I think I am okay posting what finishes are available for the bolt on Stingray 4 and 5 string basses. This list will also include what fretboard and pickguard you can get with each finish. I am really excited for these new Stingrays!

Here are all be upgrades done to them.
- Rounder body contours
- Sculpted neck joint / 5 bolt
- 22 stainless steel frets
- Aluminum hardware
- Neodymium magnets
- 18-volt preamp
- Cutlass/Caprice style bridge
- Roasted neck

Here are the finishes available with fretboard options and what color of pickguard will come on the bass standard, from the factory.

Jet Black Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Jet Black Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

Burnt Apple Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Vintage Tobacco Roasted Maple/Maple White

Vintage Tobacco Roasted Maple/Rosewood White

Classic Natural Roasted Maple/Maple Black

Classic Natural Roasted Maple/Rosewood Black

Charcoal Sparkle Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

Cruz Teal Roasted Maple/Ebony White

Chopper Blue Roasted Maple/Rosewood White Pearloid

Charging Green Roasted Maple/Maple White

HD Yellow Roasted Maple/Rosewood Black

Dropped Copper Roasted Maple/Maple White

Ivory White Roasted Maple/Maple Mint

Ivory White Roasted Maple/Rosewood Mint

Aqua Sparkle Roasted Maple/Ebony Black

Hi, do you happen to know if you can order the new Stingray 4's as lefties and with an SLO neck?

lovechick

I rarely get excited about NAMM announcements, but a lighter Stingray is great, great news. Just when my slightly aching back and ever-advancing age were starting to concern me, this happens. Looks like I’ll be buying a new bass this year. That’s something I hadn’t planned on doing ever again! Now I need to familiarize myself with these colors!

Last edited:

five7

Charcoal Sparkle Roasted Maple/Ebony Black, calling my name.
Damn, just checked on the website and sterling 5's don't come in that color.

Last edited:

JayDawg

Hi, do you happen to know if you can order the new Stingray 4's as lefties and with an SLO neck?

On my order sheet, I do not see any options for Stingrays that are Lefties, with SLO necks or matching head stocks. After NAMM ends, I will email AJ and find out if those are still options.

For basses, the only lefties that I see offered are for Sterling 4 string basses.

Top Bottom