• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

elmoreh13

Oh yah the AL is just a great balance and very cool retro (Jetsons) shape. I've to an AL HH and an AL 3 MM90's. Love them both. If you can locate an AL with MM90's those are EBMM's custom wound P90 alternative. Just great sounding pickups in my opinion.

Glenn |B)

Okay, good to know. Love the sound of the P90 too. Just has such a unique character to it.

Rock on!

Archon

I just picked up one 2nd hand. MM model and initial impressions are pretty good, but I have a few issues with it. First it doesn’t get along with my wireless and 2nd the bridge plate seems to be junky quality and the metal plating is flaking. Other than that I think I’ll get along with it after some time. One thing that really stuck out to me is how tiny the neck feels at the nut. The neck is pretty thin and the nut a little smaller than my other guitars. I think I can adjust to that though. The neck finish is great. So we will see. I also picked up a Baja Tele recently and after customizing it to my liking it has jumped up near the top of my favorite guitars.

elmoreh13

Great comments from all. It's great that we have so many options today as guitarists. There isn't one size fits all in anything. The Valentine is solid, but I think it's just not quite the right vibe for me. It does play like a dream and looks killer. If I do unload mine, I know it's going to go to an awesome home. :)

Tag1

I love the neck on my Valentine and love the design of the body. I did change out the bridge pickup for a SD Custom Custom. I had a Pearly Gates in there and may go back to it but it's a beautiful guitar and plays like a dream. The 20db boost is awesome too.

elmoreh13

Arggghhhh...just pulled it out of the case last night...and dang...such a rad guitar. Maybe I will just hang onto it for awhile longer. The pickups sound so good too. Nice having a humbucker and single coil with all the tapping options. And, the boost is like having another pedal built right into the guitar. I guess I am in a good place no matter what I decide to do.

elmoreh13

Yeah, I think I have decided that I am going to hold onto it. The EBMM stuff is just super rad and unique. I'm starting to think I will regret it, if I got rid of it. Plus, my bro my be pretty bummed since he grabbed it for me. lol.

jones4tone

Yeah, I think I have decided that I am going to hold onto it. The EBMM stuff is just super rad and unique. I'm starting to think I will regret it, if I got rid of it. Plus, my bro my be pretty bummed since he grabbed it for me. lol.

I think that's a smart call. A brother buying you an EBMM guitar is no small thing. Definitely worth giving yourself a chance to bond with it. I almost traded away a guitar that I think a lot of today. I was glad weeks later that my trading partner bailed on the trade.

You're not locking yourself in long-term, but you'd be very unlikely to ever get that guitar back down the road if you sold it and later decided it was premature.

elmoreh13

I think that's a smart call. A brother buying you an EBMM guitar is no small thing. Definitely worth giving yourself a chance to bond with it. I almost traded away a guitar that I think a lot of today. I was glad weeks later that my trading partner bailed on the trade.

You're not locking yourself in long-term, but you'd be very unlikely to ever get that guitar back down the road if you sold it and later decided it was premature.

Very true...and I think that with time I will bond with it. It's a really killer guitar. Think I'm going to really spend some time playing it. :) Keep my bro happy too. lol

LordRiffenstein

Very true...and I think that with time I will bond with it. It's a really killer guitar. Think I'm going to really spend some time playing it. :) Keep my bro happy too. lol

I think that's smart too. I get where you're coming from though as I had similar feelings about my JP15. I got it with an LIII around the same time and the LIII had a much more immediate connection for me. Best all around guitar I've ever played. The JP is a treat too but doesn't grip me the same way. That said, every time I play it I can't help but think how marvelous it plays. Def a keeper.

elmoreh13

I think that's smart too. I get where you're coming from though as I had similar feelings about my JP15. I got it with an LIII around the same time and the LIII had a much more immediate connection for me. Best all around guitar I've ever played. The JP is a treat too but doesn't grip me the same way. That said, every time I play it I can't help but think how marvelous it plays. Def a keeper.

Yeah, sometimes it just takes a few jams to have it feel like home. The EBMM stuff is as good as anything though.

Rbs

I picked up a Valentine as my first quality guitar. I think they are incredible and would never part with mine unless it was to trade for another. We need a pic!

The pickups are crystal clear, neck fret board and back smooth as my wifes B&@!s. I still seem to be finding nuances that it can do.

The neck is a tiny bit too thin at the nut for me but thats a trade off Im adjusting too. The volume knob is smooth but i wish it had more friction so it doesn’t change so much when bumped.

Has anyone found the perfect dirt pedal for the Valentine? IMG_1454.jpeg

Last edited:

Moonshot

I'm mainly an AL player, but I've loved the Valentines I've picked up and definitely considered getting one (particularly the tobacco sparkle). I really like the necks on the Valentine and there are a lot of examples at a nice used price with some great flaming on the neck. It seems like they're much easier to find in the non-trem configuration though, where I'd opt for the trem.

msquared

The neck is a tiny bit too thin at the nut for me but thats a trade off Im adjusting too. The volume knob is smooth but i wish it had more friction so it doesn’t change so much when bumped.
I have two Valentines and the necks are considerably different in thickness. One is too thin and the other is just right, though the thin one is nice for soloing.

Has anyone found the perfect dirt pedal for the Valentine?
I lean heavily on amp distortion and the Valentine's boost function makes that work very well for the most part.

If I'm using dirt pedals it's almost always a Strymon Sunset and MIDI controller since it's sort of the perfect swiss army knife for this situation but in the analog world the Mythos Mjolnir and Chupacabra are a fantastic combo. I also really enjoy the Mythos Au79 with the Valentine's bridge pickup.

Top Bottom