• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LilSteve1

Hey all! So I currently have the 30th Anniversary Steamroller on preorder with my local dealer. Just got word mine should be in later this week as I was 3rd in line. If it comes in I’ll put up some photos!
Interested in how much weight the limba adds.

ErikR

Brand new to the forum, though I've been checking it out for quite a while. Thought I'd chime in, as I just this morning took delivery of the new L4 Steamroller! I just took a couple quick iPhone pics, figuring you might want to see something other than the pro pics from Sweetwater. I just plugged into my little practice amp for a few minutes and am really digging the clarity of the HT pickups...I'm comparing against my L3 Tumescent, which has the Transitions. Really looking forward to running it through the gig rig in the next few days. It comes with a pretty solid gig bag, and the first thing I noticed when removing it is that yeah, to answer the question above - it's on the heavy side - 9lbs 15oz on my postal scale. So the limba body definitely contributes to that. The satin finish is gorgeous, and the neck is as you would expect from EBMM.

IMG_6876.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

blake100blake

Brand new to the forum, though I've been checking it out for quite a while. Thought I'd chime in, as I just this morning took delivery of the new L4 Steamroller! I just took a couple quick iPhone pics, figuring you might want to see something other than the pro pics from Sweetwater. I just plugged into my little practice amp for a few minutes and am really digging the clarity of the HT pickups...I'm comparing against my L3 Tumescent, which has the Transitions. Really looking forward to running it through the gig rig in the next few days. It comes with a pretty solid gig bag, and the first thing I noticed when removing it is that yeah, to answer the question above - it's on the heavy side - 9lbs 15oz on my postal scale. So the limba body definitely contributes to that. The satin finish is gorgeous, and the neck is as you would expect from EBMM.

View attachment 42401

View attachment 42402

View attachment 42403
So you're the guy ahead of me in line :ROFLMAO: what a beauty though! Hoping mine will be here within the next few days. Perks of living in Fort Wayne, I get to go pick mine up once it arrives

ErikR

I had shoulder surgery a few months ago - pretty much recovered now, but I can definitely still feel it when lifting this to get the strap around my neck. Amazing what even a ~1 lb difference makes. Glad it hangs on the non-repaired shoulder! Enjoy yours when it's ready for pickup!!

ruger9

View attachment 42401

View attachment 42402

View attachment 42403

Looking forward to hearing further opinions as time goes on, about the HTs vs the Transitions.

Ted

the first thing I noticed when removing it is that yeah, to answer the question above - it's on the heavy side - 9lbs 15oz on my postal scale. So the limba body definitely contributes to that.
So I guess THAT is why they call it the "Steamroller"? Very pretty but that's heavy.

I saw that the Morse BFRs with black limba bodies are all over 9 lbs too. I'll bet the BFR Shadow Korina basses are like cinder blocks.

ErikR

I SO wish they were making an L4 that also looked like that on the FRONT. I'd be in TODAY.
I have an LSL superstrat that has a black limba body AND neck - it's gorgeous. When I heard the L4 30th was going to be black limba, I was hoping the figuring would be on the top too. REALLY hoping that. But no. Looking at the pics I posted yesterday, the guitar is slightly darker than they convey. I almost picked up one of the 'Woody' top Lukes a year or so ago, so this top has a similar (to me) look, albeit with flame instead of the slight burl - or whatever it's considered to be - of the Woody. I really LOVE the satin feel.

cyberdan

Originaltext: "The silent circuit essentially creates and infuses opposite frequencies generated by the actual pickup to neutralize the sound of the hum. You hear the pickup's pure, unadulterated natural tone without the annoying 60-cycle buzz."

But in Europe, we have a majority of 50 Herz, does that still work with hum suppression?

ruger9

SSS question:

Can anyone comment on the bridge pickup in the SS models? Like, does it just sound like a regular strat bridge (unusable to me), or is it wound hotter/fatter on the SSS models? Because if it is, that would be something I would consider. Except for my tele (which has a hotter/fatter bridge single coil), I really prefer HB or HB-sounding bridge pickups. Strat/strat-sounding bridge pickups I have zero use for.

Gemmy

SSS question:

Can anyone comment on the bridge pickup in the SS models? Like, does it just sound like a regular strat bridge (unusable to me), or is it wound hotter/fatter on the SSS models? Because if it is, that would be something I would consider. Except for my tele (which has a hotter/fatter bridge single coil), I really prefer HB or HB-sounding bridge pickups. Strat/strat-sounding bridge pickups I have zero use for.
Curious about this too! Generally, I need a humbucker in the bridge just for that extra stuff. But I absolutely love the transitions single coil in my Luke 3 with the preamp boost. Easyyyy SRV and Philip Sayce territory with my fractal. One time, I bought a Nick Johnston Schecter strat with SSS setup. Guitar was awesome for the price honestly. Played very good and the single coils sounded very good. But the bridge single coil just wasn’t enough for me so I’m curious how the HT single coil on the Luke sounds.

Top Bottom