• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Who likes the new mono cases

• Dislike

• No Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

jonnycutlass

I dont gig so haven't got the transportation issue but to me, it just feels right when you buy a quality instrument to get a HSC with it. I have asked for HSC with my cutlass order that should be ready soon - got a "that shouldn't be a problem response" from the dealer so I will have to wait an see what turns up.

fstrat76

Voted dislike. Got one with my new Luke 4 30th anniversary.

While the case seems sturdy, the odd shape is bulky. However, that's not my issue with it. The guitar is not form-fitted on the inside. There are 1/2" to 1 inch gaps and the body shifts and get jolted around. Sorry, IMO it is not a good case and spells cheap on the part of the manufacturer. On a 4k guitar? Luckily, I have an extra PRS case it fits into.

GWDavis28

Mono case ... I'm an old age pensioner ... just bought a Taylor Acoustic and I have with an expensive car to maintain. Plutonium is expensive to buy for the flux capacitor lol
Hope you are well?
All good buddy!!!

Glenn |B)

Etudica

A hard NO for me as well for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Bring back the hardshells. All this talk about Mono cases having more padding still won't prevent UPS or Fedex from putting forklift forks straight through it if they really feel like it, which is definitely a thing. Trust me. More compact, space-saving and more easily organizable SKBs for me all the way. I feel like Mono cases really only appeal to those who prefer to take their favorite as a carry-on for a flight, or gig locally multiple times a week and throw stuff in the back of a van constantly. Mine only leave my house a handful of times per year, and I have no need to fly with them. SKBs should always remain an option for the rest of us average players in my opinion.

To be clear, I have not purchased a EBMM since the switch to Mono cases and have no personal experience with them. They are also a small part of the reason I have not bought anything recently since finding an SKB style case as NOS is increasingly hard.

Sweat

A hard NO for me as well for all of the reasons previously mentioned. Bring back the hardshells. All this talk about Mono cases having more padding still won't prevent UPS or Fedex from putting forklift forks straight through it if they really feel like it, which is definitely a thing. Trust me. More compact, space-saving and more easily organizable SKBs for me all the way. I feel like Mono cases really only appeal to those who prefer to take their favorite as a carry-on for a flight, or gig locally multiple times a week and throw stuff in the back of a van constantly. Mine only leave my house a handful of times per year, and I have no need to fly with them. SKBs should always remain an option for the rest of us average players in my opinion.

To be clear, I have not purchased a EBMM since the switch to Mono cases and have no personal experience with them. They are also a small part of the reason I have not bought anything recently since finding an SKB style case as NOS is increasingly hard.
I agree with your thoughts on this though they are so bulky that it would be hard to be a carry on, SKB would be easier. Like I said does/will not stop me from buying a EBMM but would like the option as you stated.

I actually sold the last Mono case of a new guitar I got as I had no room to store it and no need for it :)

Rbg

I don't know about cases, but one of the final batches of skb were pretty bad quality. Mine is already falling apart: styrofoam unglued from the top and falling down, one latch broke and the top got kit flimsy and catches on the bottom so you need to wiggle it to open. All this from home use. My 2008 case on the other hand is sturdy and works as it should.

ZeroFivefour

I knew I would absolutely hate the Mono case. So after ordering my Luke 4 Anniversary SteamRoller, I ordered 2 used but in excellent condition Musicman SKB cases online. (I found a near mint Luke sized case for sale a few days after I ordered the first one, which was a JP model case. FYI the luke 4 acutally fits inside the JP case, albiet more snuggly than the luke case).

I just knew I'd hate the Mono case.
Turns out, I actually prefer the MONO case to the SKB cases for my purposes. Even after ordering the 2 Musicman skb cases, which are now just sitting in my closet. lol

I will say however that my MONO case does seem to have an oder inside of it, an odor similar to model adhesive or model glue. I'm assuming its the smell from the inner padding or padding adhesive. I tried airing it out for a few days under a fan, but its ever present. No big deal, just my experience.

jonnycutlass

I knew I would absolutely hate the Mono case. So after ordering my Luke 4 Anniversary SteamRoller, I ordered 2 used but in excellent condition Musicman SKB cases online. (I found a near mint Luke sized case for sale a few days after I ordered the first one, which was a JP model case. FYI the luke 4 acutally fits inside the JP case, albiet more snuggly than the luke case).

I just knew I'd hate the Mono case.
Turns out, I actually prefer the MONO case to the SKB cases for my purposes. Even after ordering the 2 Musicman skb cases, which are now just sitting in my closet. lol

I will say however that my MONO case does seem to have an oder inside of it, an odor similar to model adhesive or model glue. I'm assuming its the smell from the inner padding or padding adhesive. I tried airing it out for a few days under a fan, but its ever present. No big deal, just my experience.
Yeh, I have noticed that smell in the Mono case, I thought it smelt a bit like vinegar but now you mention it, I can see what you mean about model glue !

Last edited:
Top Bottom