• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rbg

So, I am an owner of the 2022 L3 BFR for almost a year now. Here is the NGD thread. NGD: Time to show my new LIII BFR
Overall love it, also it makes me very happy to just look at the guitar esthetically. However, the instrument from out of the box had a very "stiff" neck in terms of relief. With 9th strings and standard tuning neck relief measures 0.2-0.25mm (0.009") with the truss rot completely loose. So I play the guitar with the nut just barely tighten to prevent it from spinning. I got the instrument from @PeteDuBaldo and had a discussion with him and EBMM CS (with all potential fixes, for example: "bending" the neck a bit to make sure the rod is not stuck ). Of course they are very responsive and helpful. We agreed that it is a border line acceptable and EBMM people (I of course know the names, just don't want to mention here without their permission) suggested me to keep an eye on it before the warranty runs out. So, I am at the end of my warranty period and need to decide if I should send back the guitar for them to evaluate it and potentially replace the neck. My dilemma here:
1. (Keep) I absolutely love the grain and color of the neck and how it matches the guitar. If they replace it this may change.
2. (Keep) Shipping across the country is difficult and scary.
3. (Send) Sometime I feel limitations in adjustability. Especially when changing strings or change of season. It plays totally fine by itself, but when comparing to the L2 where I can play more with the relief I eellike. I can set the guitars a tad better.
4. (Send) Fear that it will get worse with time and the neck will become completely flat or even convex with the time.

I know that it is ultimately my decision to make, but I would really like to hear your opinion on wether I should send it to MM or not? @PeteDuBaldo what do you think as a person who've seen many guitars including this one?

Thank you!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My Silhouette Special is similar to your LIII - truss rod all the way loose, and I get 0.2 mm to 0.25mm (0.008" to 0.010") absolute max. I will never get any more relief from this neck without going up in string gauge. It worried me. But that is acceptable neck relief for a large majority of players. And the guitar is now 17 years old. It's very stable. In fact short term or long term, it rarely changes at all. It's a very stable neck, maybe *because* it's so "stiff". (Doesn't seem like an unreasonable guess.)

I totally understand how anxiety-inducing this can be. The cost of a new neck out of warranty will make anyone's head spin! How do I know? I got a new neck for my Cutlass. Its original neck had the opposite issue - truss rod so tight I was bending tools but I was getting frequent large changes in relief. After three years I was out of warranty but it was clearly not getting better than it was in the first year and I had enough. So I emptied my piggy bank. Ouch. I have a great new neck though.

The good news is that I don't think your guitar will behave differently to what it does now. The wood was very well dried and seasoned before production and if there were no major changes in behavior since production it's probably settled for good now. Seasonal changes will always be there and that's fine. But if you've had no problems correcting that to date, I don't think you will in the future.

Overall, I completely understand the anxiety but I also think you're safe just moving on and keeping the neck grain you love so much. To address your four points...

1) Yes the neck grain WILL change, but you may still love the result.
2) It's only scary the first time. If you have the original case and box and ship it tracked and insured, you'll be fine.
3) If you're truly not happy with the setup, then send the guitar in. There is no stock of necks lying around 'just in case', so it will be a unique one-off work order to be fit into the existing production schedule. It's not something they'll do without a clear fault to be corrected in the first place and I'm not sure this qualifies. If it's "just" anxiety then...
4) I really don't think it will get worse. It may even get better! Yes, it's not my guitar or risk so its easy for me to say, but I really think you're safe keeping it as is.

Adder

So, arent these truss rods 2 way? I would have thought they would be.

kimonostereo

If you plan on keeping the guitar, send it in and get it fixed. I had a Luke II where the high E string would fall off of the fretboard because the fret ends were over dressed a tad. I loved the guitar but never played it because of that issue. I thought it was all in my head, but once I sent it in, they confirmed the issue and they fixed it.

Rbg

It’s not something they'll do without a clear fault to be corrected in the first place and I'm not sure this qualifies. If it's "just" anxiety then...

If you plan on keeping the guitar, send it in and get it fixed. …they confirmed the issue and they fixed it.
Does this mean that there is a chance they conclude that everything is ok with the neck and two shippings (~$200) will be on me? That’s something to take into consideration as well, I guess.

PeteDuBaldo

I would recommend sending it to EBMM so they can check it out before warranty expires. The truss should not be maxed out in either direction. There may be ways (not necessarily easy ways) for them to correct it without replacing the neck, but they would have to get hands-on with it first.

You have an awesome guitar, let's make sure it's 100%

Top Bottom