• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ted

i was wondering why it seems like compared to other EBMM instruments, I just don't see Albert Lees for sale. None of the big web EBMM dealers seems to have this model ever on offer. On Reverb I often see people selling used BFRs and standard ones, but if I just wanted a basic HH model, there aren't many. The only one I see loads of is unsold BFRs in Cherry Punch (which I like but I want a trem and prefer the pickguard look, so that one's not really gonna do it for me). Also lots of the Ghost In the Shell BFRs.

When my finances pan out I'd really like to get an Emerald City HH AL but they're only factory direct and I've only ever seen one on Reverb after it had already sold. Never saw a pic of one in the wild aside from the Reverb pics and the EBMM press photos.

I know it has to be one of the most beloved models of EBMM instruments and one of the coolest and most original, aesthetically. It just seems like production and/or distribution of this model is a lot lower for some reason and I don't believe it could just be a lower demand.

GWDavis28

They are the best kept secret of the EBMM arsenal!!!! They are out there, you just need to hunt them down. Reverb has a bunch, but to be the market pricing is high. So are in line with what they are worth, others not so much. Those Emerald City ones are nice, congrats!!!!

Glenn |B)

Sweat

Used to be more plentiful but now days not as much, if you really want one the Vault maybe the way to go, I like getting a discount but the Vault pieces are awesome!

Reactions: Ted

Ted

So just what exactly is a "Dargie/Dargie Delight.etc?" Is it just a type of green? Because I've seen a few different colors which were called "Dargie". What is the origin of the name?

And yes, that green AL with the 3 P90s looks very good!

GWDavis28

So just what exactly is a "Dargie/Dargie Delight.etc?" Is it just a type of green? Because I've seen a few different colors which were called "Dargie". What is the origin of the name?

And yes, that green AL with the 3 P90s looks very good!
So Dargie is Scott Ball's forum name. He had a bass made years ago in green. After much begging, Big Poppa (Sterling Ball) decided to be a special forum run of guitars and basses and the run was called the Dargie Delight run. It featured martini glass inlays with a tiny green olive. Original Dargie green paint with the martini glass and Dargie Delight stenciled on the back of the guitar just below the neck plate. It was a limited one time run. They did another Dargie run, but in my opinion it was never as good as the original run. For the original run, there were Dargie parties and Pete DuBaldo had special Dargie Delight straps made for his buyers, I was one, and the strap was over the top awesome.

From a post Nov 2007. Dargie Delight - Please Explain

"Dargin, is Scott Ball's middle name, Dargie is his forum variant from that."

Hope that helps, Glenn |B)

Last edited:

Ted

So Dargin is Scott Ball's forum name. He had a bass made years ago in green. After much begging, Big Poppa (Sterling Ball) decided to be a special forum run of guitars and basses and the run was called the Dargie Delight run. It featured martini glass inlays with a tiny green olive. Original Dargie green paint with the martini glass and Dargie Delight stenciled on the back of the guitar just below the neck plate. It was a limited one time run. They did another Dargie run, but in my opinion it was never as good as the original run. For the original run, there were Dargie parties and Pete DuBaldo had special Dargie Delight straps made for his buyers, I was one, and the strap was over the top awesome.

Hope that helps, Glenn |B)
Thanks Glenn! But what is the origin of Dargie as a name? It is like Scott Ball's middle name or something? I just gotta know.

I love all things green as far as guitars go-- and being a bartender, I would have loved the martini glass inlays. Wow. Was it just Albert Lees or other models too? I thought I heard that there was a Luke owned by Luke himself with martini glass inlays. etc.

Mixolydian82

Thanks Glenn! But what is the origin of Dargie as a name? It is like Scott Ball's middle name or something? I just gotta know.

I love all things green as far as guitars go-- and being a bartender, I would have loved the martini glass inlays. Wow. Was it just Albert Lees or other models too? I thought I heard that there was a Luke owned by Luke himself with martini glass inlays. etc.
It was many different models. Here are/were mine.

Also, ya never know, Ernie Ball always has cool stuff in the pipeline.

received_1126546781637110.jpeg

received_771783407685706.jpeg

received_936663547588142.jpeg

116339 (1).jpeg

GWDavis28

Ted, see my updated post.

Glenn |B)

Ted

Glenn, thanks for that update. Yesterday I looked around and was able to find some of the old forum posts which explained the whole Dargie/Dargie Delight phenomenon to my satisfaction. Cool that this forum culture goes back so far. It's also funny that the whole thing was born out of a discussion between BP and Scott about how "green guitars don't sell". Haha.

GWDavis28

Glenn, thanks for that update. Yesterday I looked around and was able to find some of the old forum posts which explained the whole Dargie/Dargie Delight phenomenon to my satisfaction. Cool that this forum culture goes back so far. It's also funny that the whole thing was born out of a discussion between BP and Scott about how "green guitars don't sell". Haha.
One of my standard goto lines :ROFLMAO:.

Always glad to help. This is a good place to hang.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom