• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

elmoreh13

Hey guys,

I have had my Valentine for a little over a year. It's a gorgeous guitar and plays like a dream, but for some reason I just haven't connected with it the way I like to with guitars. I don't seem to notice too many posts here about the Valentine. Seems like you guys are way into the other models.

I think I am going to unload mine soon too. Has anyone here had a Valentine and scooped up a different EBMM? Just trying to figure out what to do. I never want an amazing guitar to just sit in its case. Would much rather have it go to an amazing new home and be played daily.

Thanks for the replies :)

xjbebop

1] As far as I can tell, the Valentine model is pretty popular
2] Finding a make/model(s) of guitars that make YOU happy is a very personal thing. That's why there are a bazillion choices these days...
3] I bought one of the SBMM Valentines when they first came out. It was a very nice instrument, but like you're saying, I just didn't bond with it and so I let it go. I have other models that I prefer...

elmoreh13

1] As far as I can tell, the Valentine model is pretty popular
2] Finding a make/model(s) of guitars that make YOU happy is a very personal thing. That's why there are a bazillion choices these days...
3] I bought one of the SBMM Valentines when they first came out. It was a very nice instrument, but like you're saying, I just didn't bond with it and so I let it go. I have other models that I prefer...

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I just haven't bonded with it at all. My brother actually bought it for me a gift without me even knowing it was coming, so I'm blessed. Did you sell yours locally? I have mine on Craigslist and will try that first. What did you end up getting instead and are you happy? Thanks!

TripHazard

Only had mine a few week so can’t provide much insight. So far I pick it up every time I look at it - which is a good sign. Style wise it’s an outlier in my collection but I really like how easy it plays. Still trying to decide whether to stick with the 11s or drop down to 10s
Right now tho I’m getting a real kick out of it

Fro

The only reason I sold my Valentine was to buy a BFR Valentine. It’s not going anywhere.

Astrofreq

I’ve had my Valentine about a year and a half. The tones are amazing, but since getting my Cutlass, my Valentine and Axis sit in cases. The main reason is because our music just calls for single cool tones most of the time.

I still believe the Valentine is an absolutely brilliant design and I wish all my EBMM guitars had the 20dB boost.

jones4tone

I don't have the impression that the Valentine has performed poorly in the market for EBMM. Based on the number of BFR models they've offered of the Valentine, I'd say it's among their better sellers. (It's clear that the JP-related models lead the way in sales for the company.)

I own two Valentines, and have no intention of letting either one go. One of them is likely to wind up with a couple of PAF-like humbuckers in it because I want those kinds of tones, but I absolutely love both of those guitars, and they're the first I grab of all the guitars hanging on the wall easily 90% of the time.

If you aren't drawn to playing yours (and your brother won't be hurt by you moving it) then by all means try to sell it and find something you like better.

Good luck!

PeteDuBaldo

I have found that the Valentine is quite popular and there have been several limited production and BFR runs for it. I think it is a great guitar and incredibly versatile, every time I pick one up it puts a smile on my face. I'll be grabbing one for myself.

wesman11483

You gotta go with what feels right...
This story still pains me to tell...but hat's why I ended up parting with my vintage Les Paul Junior. It was definitely a player, and no where near "collector" grade...but I loved that guitar...in theory.

It turned out that I liked the look and idea of having a 40+ year old guitar...and it sounded pretty good...but I didn't love playing it. So I pocketed the extra cash, and bought a Luke 3...which I later traded for my Axis Sport...and that baby isn't going anywhere!

Go with what feels and sounds right for what you play...and within this community, you really can base it completely on feel...because you KNOW there is a mod already out here to get whatever tone you are chasing!

elmoreh13

Glad to hear you guys are actually digging yours. It really is a great guitar, just not the right one for me. Can you enlighten me to the term "bfr"? Also, is this forum a good place to list an EBMM for sale. Everyone on here is hard core for their guitars. lol.

Keep on rocking those Valentines!!!

edhalen

GWDavis28

Also, is this forum a good place to list an EBMM for sale. Everyone on here is hard core for their guitars. lol.

Yes, but I believe you have to have like 25 forum posts before you can sell check the forum rules out.

If the Valentine isn't for you, there are other models that might rock your world. Locate em and try em out, you just never know. Might help to list where your from, might help you locate or try out some different models.

Glenn |B)

elmoreh13

Yes, but I believe you have to have like 25 forum posts before you can sell check the forum rules out.

If the Valentine isn't for you, there are other models that might rock your world. Locate em and try em out, you just never know. Might help to list where your from, might help you locate or try out some different models.

Glenn |B)

Right on guys! Thanks for the replies. I'm in Carlsbad, CA (North San Diego County) Will check out the forum rules for selling. Would be rad for the guitar to a hard core EBMM player. I'm really digging the vibe of the AL models. I think I read that the guitarist from Incubus used them during his times with problems in his hand. He raved about how good it goes.

And thank you for enlightening me to the term BFR. lol.

Rock on players!

elmoreh13

I like AL's....

32955297742_a9f87ff2d1_c.jpg

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/63769-al-family-photo.html

Wow! Those are sick! I really need to try one out. Lots of rad pickup configs too.

GWDavis28

Oh yah the AL is just a great balance and very cool retro (Jetsons) shape. I've to an AL HH and an AL 3 MM90's. Love them both. If you can locate an AL with MM90's those are EBMM's custom wound P90 alternative. Just great sounding pickups in my opinion.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Also, you could always look for a trade, the Valentine for an AL or something else. The Luke III's are great from what ever one who has one says.

Glenn |B)

elmoreh13

Oh yah the AL is just a great balance and very cool retro (Jetsons) shape. I've to an AL HH and an AL 3 MM90's. Love them both. If you can locate an AL with MM90's those are EBMM's custom wound P90 alternative. Just great sound pickups in my opinion.

Glenn |B)

Cool! thanks for the tips. The AL's look pretty rad. He's such a great guitarist too. Keep on rocking them. :)

wesman11483

Oh yah the AL is just a great balance and very cool retro (Jetsons) shape. I've to an AL HH and an AL 3 MM90's. Love them both. If you can locate an AL with MM90's those are EBMM's custom wound P90 alternative. Just great sounding pickups in my opinion.

Glenn |B)

I can attest to the MM90s...I had them in my Axis Sport (I swapped out the bridge only because I liked the versatility and extra drive of the Dimarzio Super distortion (they make a P90 shape humbucker)...but by far the smoothest, best sounding P90 I have veer owned/played (this includes vintage Gibson, PRS, and Seymour Duncan Phat Cat)

The Beatnik

I agree, you don’t see many EBMM Valentines around the interwebs (maybe b/c the folks that own them can’t stop playing them ;).

I have an EBMM Valentine and I gig the snot out of the thing. It is rock solid in its tuning and it can do almost everything convincingly. I love it. It is a beautifully designed instrument. I can play 4 hour gigs and not feel like I have been beat about the head and shoulders.

As a trivial thing, I love pulling it out of its case at a gig. There is just something satisfying about opening that case and seeing her all snug and ready to go. (Silly I know but... it makes me happy)

Beatnik

Top Bottom