• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sonar

I'm fairly sure there was a "Fire Engine Red". The sample I saw was from around the 2001 period. If you post the serial number Dan will be able to check.

This "Just Plain Old Solid RED, Dammit"® Stingray bass might be a couple of years older than what I thought.

Serial number is in the 280XX range.

So maybe it's more like 1989 according to the database I just noticed.

It will be apart later today for setup and string replacement -- so I'll keep an eye out for any confirming dates.

mynan

This "Just Plain Old Solid RED, Dammit"® Stingray bass might be a couple of years older than what I thought.

Serial number is in the 280XX range.

So maybe it's more like 1989 according to the database I just noticed.

It will be apart later today for setup and string replacement -- so I'll keep an eye out for any confirming dates.

Easy there, Beavis...like Rod said, post the exact serial# in the "serial number database" thread and 5stringer should be able to look it up and tell you exactly what color it is.

5Stringer

Ernie Ball Customer Service
You are probably referring to Candy Red. Both were solid, but Fire Engine Red had an orange tint to it and was discontinued before 2002.

Dan

Sonar

You are probably referring to Candy Red. Both were solid, but Fire Engine Red had an orange tint to it and was discontinued before 2002.

Dan

Did EB Music Man put out TWO different colors -- one called "Candy Red" and one called "Candy Apple Red"?

I ask because I keep seeing pictures of Candy Apple Red guitars referred to as "Candy Red" all around this forum.

My guitar (Serial #28020) is not Candy Apple Red.

So...thinking my guitar is well before 2002 (by probably 13 years) AND it is not Candy Apple Red, am I left with Fire Engine Red? :confused:

I ask because every time I open the case, bells and sirens go off in my head. Wouldn't this be a strong indicator? ;)

5Stringer

Sonar, there has never been a Candy Apple Red, that name started somewhere outside the pristine walls of EBMM and seems to have a life of its own out there. The two are one and the same color.

Candy Red was first available on the StingRay bass in 1999, when we sort of "opened up the floodgates" and allowed nearly any finish that made sense to offer on most instruments. Prior to that it was only available on the Silhouette Special guitar from 1996-99.

Regarding your StingRay, you are correct that it does not have Candy Red (as it didn't exist yet). Your bass, which was built on 4/27/89, had an unnamed finish that we only offered for a short time, it didn't even have its own color code but was instead grouped as a "Special", which tells us next to nothing I'm afraid .... the records from that far back are not very descriptive.

Hope that makes it a tad bit clearer!

Dan

Sonar

Sonar, there has never been a Candy Apple Red, that name started somewhere outside the pristine walls of EBMM and seems to have a life of its own out there. The two are one and the same color.

Candy Red was first available on the StingRay bass in 1999, when we sort of "opened up the floodgates" and allowed nearly any finish that made sense to offer on most instruments. Prior to that it was only available on the Silhouette Special guitar from 1996-99.

Thanks Dan....very interesting. I asked about the difference because "Candy Apple Red" is the way it's listed in the selections found in the first post of this thread.

Regarding your StingRay, you are correct that it does not have Candy Red (as it didn't exist yet). Your bass, which was built on 4/27/89, had an unnamed finish that we only offered for a short time, it didn't even have its own color code but was instead grouped as a "Special", which tells us next to nothing I'm afraid .... the records from that far back are not very descriptive.

Question: If my bass WAS "Fire Engine Red", would it have appeared in your records as such OR would it have been grouped as "Special" as you mention?

This question has taken on a life of it's own simply because the first post in this thread mentions wanting a photo of a "Fire Engine Red" EB Music Man.

I can tell you that my bass is a generic solid red color...rather like any red Fender Squire you'd see hanging on a music store wall...no metallic qualities. Lighter than Fender/GM Dakota Red yet not as pink as Fender/Ford Fiesta Red. It's so plain looking that it makes the whole evolving "rare or special color" question kinda amusing to me.

So...with the information you have, can we absolutely rule out my bass being "Fire Engine Red"?

Hope that makes it a tad bit clearer!

Dan

Thanks again! I truly appreciate your time providing this help. I'm obviously new to this forum and can't thank you enought for your help extended to this newbie! :)

Last edited:

5Stringer

Yes we can. Fire Engine Red, as an official color, was ONLY offered for about a year - and that year was 1999. And yes, it would have clearly stated in our records as such.

And there you have it!

Dan

rkingly

1 for the color experts

Hi,
Newbie here hoping to find out the color of this 89/90 EBSR.
Several years ago I vaguely recall the neck pocket stating
"Morning Glow" but the memory doesn't always work properly.
I looked through this thread & wow, I'm blown away by all the
gorgeous basses.
My bass looks a little like some of the other blue's on this list,
but nothing exactly like mine.
Solid Color, no grain showing through & no burst.
Just Smurf Blue.

Thanks ladies & gents.
rkingly

5Stringer

rk, this blue was one of the first colors out on the StingRay 5 - but, like a few others, it was never given an official name. we did affectionately call it Smurf Blue. It's funny, we have one hanging here in the office and I look at it every day - the one we have here is a prototype without the bevels. Anyway yours was completed on 4/04/89.

Dan

rkingly

"Smurfette"

Great! I'll remove the neck next time I change strings & report back
on the info in the neck pocket.
I jokingly nicknamed this bass "Smurfette" I had no idea that the good
folks @ EB refer to this color as "Smurf Blue" That's Good Stuff!!
Thanks again.
rkingly

5Stringer

rk, you really don't need to remove the neck, we already know the date your bass was built - removing the neck might mess with the setup.

rkingly

Understood.
I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity on the info.
I'm almost certain that there's a name in there?
I had removed the neck when I bought her in 98ish & did not make a record of the info. But thank you for the advice & I will be careful.

Anyway, the strings are spankin' new & I won't be bothering for some time.

rkingly

Last edited:

dragonik

Hi!

I checked first post but I couldn't find what color exactly is on this bass.

Info: Music Man Sub Bass, from what I have found this bass is from 2004. S/N: X06405. That's all I know.

Please help me :p

Last edited:

davidjbass

Question about the color of this Stingray

I just found this one. Is this a real color of a refin? 1990 Stingray 4.

Last edited:

bedamat

Satin finish????

Heya everyone,

my Stingray has a satin natural finish, that is as soft and silky like your sweetest girlfriends ass... I could only find information on the classic glossy finish... Did they just forget to polish my Stingray or was that some kind of a special??? IT's a 1996 Model .. serialNR: 57321 ...

Anyone knows something that could help???

Thx, bedamat

Rod Trussbroken

Heya everyone,

my Stingray has a satin natural finish, that is as soft and silky like your sweetest girlfriends ass... I could only find information on the classic glossy finish... Did they just forget to polish my Stingray or was that some kind of a special??? IT's a 1996 Model .. serialNR: 57321 ...

Anyone knows something that could help???

Thx, bedamat

The finish is "Natural Velvet" and was available from c.1995-98. It has no gloss finish...just sprayed with the base coat and then buffed.

MSilvers

Can anyone tell me the exact title of this color? Thanks!

s7300314.jpg

Top Bottom