• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbaim

I cant imagine ever going off my trolley and slagging off the big man on the forum. I felt like a world class moron when I pulled a dodgy last year trying to get a Dargie AL, I didnt think id ever live it down, so bad did I feel about letting the EBMM guys down.

And the company comes right back with a gesture (that amazing guitar) that blows everyone away! Hard to match that kind of goodwill.

They've also done plenty of nice things for me. I've probably had 10-12 cs issues over 5 years (multiple guitars), some I've had to pay for and some I haven't. They always come through. Especially a couple months back.

I hope when I invite Sterling to a Laker playoff game this month or next he takes me up on it. It'll be on short notice so I might have to beg him.

Big Poppa

Elvis says that I am censoring the forum...Wouldn't the mod's delete CS threads then? No we leave them up and try to talk in a kind way and it only escalates if the attitude on the other side is unreasonable. Period.

I do think that I get into trouble in that I am myself here. There is no canned answers when under attack. Most people in CS cannot respond how they would like because of the ol adage "the customer is alway's right" and they take the venting and abuse. If that's what I have to do with guys like ELvis and Ratfart and the boycotting Canuck then I would rather mow the lawn.

This brings up something interesting....Elvis has no idea who he talking to and in front of....I am very honored to know that there are great people who have my back and one guy here who will go unnamed that you shouldnt mess with under any circumstances........He is my friend period.

Here is a link to an article that I recently read.......does this apply here?
Top 5 reasons why “The Customer Is Always Right” is wrong

So much of what you read in business is old cliches that when you deconstruct you realize that they are wrong. The negative squeeky wheel gets more attention than the happy customer who is discounted and trivialized as fanboy.

colinboy

Elvis says that I am censoring the forum...Wouldn't the mod's delete CS threads then? No we leave them up and try to talk in a kind way and it only escalates if the attitude on the other side is unreasonable. Period.

I do think that I get into trouble in that I am myself here. There is no canned answers when under attack. Most people in CS cannot respond how they would like because of the ol adage "the customer is alway's right" and they take the venting and abuse. If that's what I have to do with guys like ELvis and Ratfart and the boycotting Canuck then I would rather mow the lawn.

This brings up something interesting....Elvis has no idea who he talking to and in front of....I am very honored to know that there are great people who have my back and one guy here who will go unnamed that you shouldnt mess with under any circumstances........He is my friend period.

So much of what you read in business is old cliches that when you deconstruct you realize that they are wrong. The negative squeeky wheel gets more attention than the happy customer who is discounted and trivialized as fanboy.

Just read the customer article that you left the link to BP and its so right.i work in the aviation industry so i know exactly where they were coming from.;)

PeteDuBaldo

One of the most gut-wrenching yet somehow satisfying experiences for a business owner or manager is firing a bad customer. There is only so much you can do to try and make a customer happy, and when they become unreasonable with their demands and/or cross the line with personal attacks, sometimes there is no other option. It's never a pleasant experience, but sometimes it is a necessary one.

Elvis

If the scenario happened like yousaid ...you would be right. I would be totally wrong. But for some reason you left out the big facts....did you read the thread here or did you read a selective recreation elsewhere?

thank goodness that there is a record of the posts and threads. Lets be a little fair...in your scenario you failed to mention the 3+ year old guitar....you never mentioned that he did not like being charged including freight to canada $400.00 to make things right on a USED guitar.....He announced a boycott before I could possibly try to make him happy. Sorry to inform you but anything is possible but seriously we have not had one complaint regarding trussrods in the wrong place that suddenly appeared after over 3 years.....

If the truss rod was broken and the guitar was unplayable why did he buy it? It wasnt a new guitar he had a choice.

If defending your company and its team members is wearing a badge and being arrogant then guilty as charged. The sad part is that if he had presented his issue in a civil manner I would have made him happy. If you dont believe that then there are a bunch of people who do.

I dont want to censor this board and your thread will stay up. I ask two things from people that post here....that they dont pm me and that they contact customer service with issues first. If thats too much for you then we arent a good fit and I wont stoop to your level and name call. Lifes is too short.

THis is why Bob Taylor and Paul Smith stopped participating on their forums.
As for "failing to mention that it is a 3+ year old guitar", in my opinion that is an irrelevant fact. The charge by the tech was that the truss rod was set improperly. I don't think he said it was "broken". That was your assumption.

And of COURSE "he did not like being charged including freight to canada $400.00", neither would I in that case.

Understand me here. I am not coming down on Ernie Ball. I am coming down on you.

Another customer service rep in that thread handled the matter perfectly. He simply siggested that Dave call him. Made me feel good reading that post.

You on the other hand immediately assume Dave is lying to you or that he is just another flake customer who's trying to get his used guitar fixed for free.

Let me make a suggestion to you. In the future why don't you simply discuss the matter with Dave over the phone in a calm and respectful manner. You can even agree with him that if he pays for shipping to and from your location that you will have one of your own techs inspect the truss rod and provide a report of his findings to you both. If the truss rod was indeed set wrong at the factory then you will fix the guitar for free and reimburse Dave for all shipping chatrges, used guitar or not. If you instead find that the rod was IN FACT broken or that the problem cannot CLEARLY be defined as a factory issue, then Dave pays.

I realize you're running a BUSINESS.

But when somebody like you consistently posts with attitude, cynicism, and arrogance in responding to customers on this message board then it pushes all my buttons.

You are clearly in the wrong line of work.

Perhaps you'd be happier working as a bouncer at the local strip club.

Marcus2

I, too, find this thread sad, and for 2 reasons.

1) I am relatively new to EBMM. I own a fully loaded JP6 red pearlburst and recently purchased a JP6 BFR. I came to EBMM after a mountain biking accident smashed my left hand. It lost a lot of flexibility and as a result (even after PT) my favorite guitars with larger necks became very uncomfortable to play for more than 5 minutes.

Luckily, the EBMM JP model works great for me. So, I can continue being a student of the guitar thanks to this wonderful instrument.

So, I bought the BFR JP6 and it needed a little tweeking to make it perfect. AJ in CS was a *great* help, and EBMM turned the guitar around in 1 full working day. That's great CS. AJ and Dan kept me informed of what was happening, and I had some very informative and fun e-mails back and forth with AJ.

So, my expreience was fantastic.

2) In a study of college students, marketers did an experiment to see if personal accounts (not unlike the rant that started this thread) could adversely affect decisions even with statistics showing that the personal account was out-of-line with the vast majority of data.

So, for example, suppose you're in the market for a sedan and read in Consumer Reports that the Honda Accord is safe, reliable, fuel efficient, etc. And that this is based on a lot of feedback. Then, you overhear someone behind you at the grocery store say that they had their Accord in the shop and didn't like it anymore. That account is an outlier, but in the experiment, it carried too muchweight in purchase decisions.

Thus, these kinds of rants may unduly and negatively affect decisions for new readers looking to this forum for info on EBMM guitars.

To that, I say let's all chime in with our stories of great CS at EBMM.

Marc

Big Poppa

OK elvis you are now in the Jackass realm. Koogie go get him.

He used the word broke in his thread.....He announced a boycott that is still ok.

Now you have made your points and if you think that a 3+ old guitar is the same as a new one then there is no possible way of communicating with you. IF you feel that we have an obligation to fix used out of warranty guitars for free than I am going to annoint you Mr. Entitlement man of the year"

I personally think that you have backed yourself into a self righteous corner and arent man enough to try to fix it.

Now you have saidyou peace and I didnt censor you. I dont have to pay for your silly agressions and attacks.

Guess what Im really happy. Really happy and if you want arrogant you might make for a nice pet in my back yard....I will just have to decide which one of my backyards.

Last edited:
Guys and Gals this shouldnt be a jumping on Elvis...obviously Ive rubbed him wrong and his delivery would be fun to watch face to face.....

Really the example he used was really sad......How could we have made the guy happy that started firing bulletts on a used guitar? WOuld you buy a used car that ran poorly and then complain to he dealer and announce a boycott on an international forum because you got charged to repair the car?

I'm afraid what's sad is your inability to see the real issue here. The guy is complaining that the guitar was set up improperly AT THE FACTORY.

What does your average customer who is not experienced do when a guitar buzzes a bit or has tuning issues? If it's a young man or woman with not a lot of money to spend they are understandibly reluctant to spend hundreds more to get it "fixed for free". So instead they let it go (provided the issue isn't severe) and just deal with it as a hassle. THEN THEY FINALLY GET FRUSTRATED, PUT THE GUITAR DOWN, BUY ANOTHER ONE, AND LATER SELL THE GUITAR TO SOMEBODY ELSE.

The fair and equitable thing to do would be for Ernie Ball, once they in fact determine for themselves that the truss rod was wrong from the beginning, reimburses the original customer who would then reimburse the his buyer.

Or, as in this case, EB simply goes ahead and fixes the guitar for free and pays all shipping charges.

I will grant you, if Big Poppa says that this issue is rare or non-existant in the past then I believe him. That does NOT mean however that this issue is not a fact in THIS case.

Big Poppa's skepticism cannot be faulted here and I have not criticised him for that. It's his attitude and arrogance in dealing with this person (and others) that is just plain wrong and does no favors for EB believe me.

If you simply make the offer to the guy as I stated above and he's not on the level then he's simply going to disappear.

Big Poppa

THe whole problem is that you are taking it as gospel that the guitar was set up at the factory wrong...

It wasnt....unlike you we actually saw and fixed the guitar. IF there was a doubt at all in the origin of the problem we would have paid for it. We do it all the time.

Your point is that you dont lke me or how I interact here. You are a little sap that picked the wrong battle to stage your petty attacks. You happen to have picked one where we did everything right and the customer was still unreasonable.

Who made you advocate here? This isnt the only channel on the internet..IF you dont like me then why spend yor valuable time here? Why waste your aggressions here? What is the point? Isnt there a better use of your obvious intellect and selfrighteousness for common good?

Please find a company that makes you happier. I know that I dont make everyone happy. Ii know that we make mistakes in the factory. I know that we sometimes dont handle everything perfectly. I do know that all of us starting with me try as hard as we can to do the right thing..

Your next thread and post will be deleted Not due to censorship but just out of respect to the people here who are actually happy.

Last edited:

paranoid70

I don't understand the cause you are championing here dude. How do you know exactly what the issue is with the guitar? How do you know it was not correctly set up at the facotry. You haven't seen it and neither has anyone else except the guy who owns it.

I am sure if the guitar was 3 months old one could say it was set up at the factory wrong. But 3 years? Alot can happen in that time. It's totally out of EB's hands, so it could have been dropped down a flight of stairs or left out in the cold for several weeks for all they know.

I am not trying to overly defend EB here, but you gotta be reasonable. This isn't a brand new guitar you are talking about.

travs

hey elvus, How does it feel to be Fired? Are your toes sore yet from kicking your Scooby Doo
lunch pail down the street?

TimSz

This is why I censor myself.

Since it appears that the gloves are off, and real punches are being thrown around the forum at certain members specifically; I feel it is my duty as a person who speaks passionately about things that he supports, to chime in.

There are a few things wrong with this assclown's perspective. Were this board censored, Sterling wouldn't be posting on it. He would be sitting in his ivory tower counting his thousand dollar bills, and questioning congress as to when they are going to put his face on the back of the quarter. Instead, he's down here in the trenches interacting with us peasants. Never once has he elicited a higher-than-thou attitude that was unwarranted. Just like any other person on this or any other thread, or *dread* in REAL LIFE, when he gets attacked he takes it personally. Also, when his (read: HIS) company gets attacked, it is a personal attack. If that's not passion, I don't know what is.

The issue here, without even having to think about it is that this guy from Canada is blithering on about how his guitar is broken and poor him should get some kind of special treatment because he is a stuck up university prick. His announcement of a boycott was uncalled for and above that, it was childish as hell. It's a THREE YEAR OLD GUITAR! This tells me, the peasant, that he had THREE YEARS to make a case of it. From my understanding, this forum has been around just a little longer than THREE YEARS. How come this didn't come up when the guitar was FIRST BOUGHT? How coincidental that it comes up when it's broken, after warranty, and this pinhead expects to be fed from a golden spoon?

To make matters worse, he enlists one of his arrogant childish friends to come around here and drag NOT THE COMPANY, BUT THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY through the mud! As a result of his opting to pick directly on the owner, it now trickles down to the staff that he employs, then trickles down to the makers of the guitars, then trickles down to the purchasers and players of the guitars. This two-man-army attempt to deface a regime is one of the most foolish and immature things I've ever read.

Was even the slightest bit of research done before wasting all of our time with this stupid thread? Customer Service bends over backwards every day to ensure that what they put their name on is worthy of toting the name! They have lawyers on here charging after false eBay postings every day, and other lawyers checking into fraudulent exchanges on eBay and other means. They ignore the year warranty, and stretch themselves far beyond the reasonable limit to help people stay happy with their products. They are prompt with replying to emails, and are honest about the answers, and don't sugarcoat the truth.

How is it that these ignorant boars are being made to stay for the entire forum to see? It's only aggravating people who actually use this forum and the Ernie Ball products wisely. It may be censorship to some, but to me I see it as getting rid of the idiots before the idiots are allowed to run around with baseball bats in the China Shop. That all of the cats at Ernie Ball allow this to go on just goes to show how fair they are; where if it were me, you'd both be removed instantly. Furthermore, people like you should be slapped by your mothers and taught a bit of respect. This is Sterling's house. He doesn't come to your house, and **** on your couch, does he?

Both of you, stop giving Canadians and guitar players around the world a bad name. You're only making yourselves look like assholes and losing any credibility your parents bought for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom